The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:32:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Built-like-a-Battleship Homebrew Construction - check it out !  (Read 10409 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: March 27, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »

Wayne, WA1SSJ brought his new modulator - power supply down to my place to check out and fire up for the first time !

I was really impressed by the incredible construction job and attention to detail.  Almost "military like" in the number of screws, labeled wires, tiered levels, etc.  And, it worked and sounded every bit as good as it looked.

This power supply / modulator is designed to work with transmitters up to 500 watts carrier, and will modulate the carrier up to 200% positive !  The underlying topology is class H (analog).

Notice the stamped front panel with inlaid lettering.  Nice job !

Here's the front panel:

Here's the inside:

Here is a closeup of one of the PC boards:

Here's a closeup of one of the meters:

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »

pictures man!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:13:18 AM »

Wow! Commercial/mil grade construction. Very nice. Can't wait to hear it on the air.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:40:08 AM »

Very nice Job! The color matches my final.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »

Oh, the toroidal power transformer, rectifiers, filter capacitors and relays are beneath the top deck, so they can't be seen in the pictures.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:53 AM »

needs black james bond crackle paint.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:51:37 AM »

Those of us at Wayne's party two weekends ago got to see this, up close and personal. VERY nice construction and layout, right down the the stamped front panel!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
kc2ifr
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 12:12:44 PM »

Yup Wayne.....it sure is purdy......it looks as nice as it sounded yesterday. I hope the recording I sent you and Steve of its maiden voyage sounded ok.

(Why am I directing this to Wayne.........he dont have no puter!!!!)

Its the thought that counts.......  Roll Eyes
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »

yes that makes Wayne the only one that has built a class e rig without internet support!! Hmmm.....................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »

yes that makes Wayne the only one that has built a class e rig without internet support!! Hmmm.....................

This brings up an interesting question - that of "support" for building transmitters, and how great the amateur, and in particular, the AM community is, in giving its members support.  In my 35 + years of involvement, I have never seen anyone who did not have support of some sort, some more, some less, in building a transmitter - particularly a FIRST transmitter.  I will include myself in this category - even with all of the stuff I have designed and built from scratch - in the begining, I asked NUMEROUS people questions, and read many, many books.

Support comes in many forms - education through building kits, reading documentation about how to build things (like the old Handbooks), talking to other people and/or asking questions, taking apart existing transmitters and/or modifying them to gain experience, high school electronics class, radio clubs, radio get-togethers, elmers, etc., etc., etc.

I have personally helped hundreds of people with various transmitters and/or related projects over the years   Cool

This support that we offer is really a very nice aspect of the AM community.  I see it all the time, and it's really great !!!  Wink

Regards,

Steve

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »

Are those boards pre-assembled or do you need to put all those little things on there? Great job but I wasn't surprised having seen other projects that Wayne has done.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 03:53:27 PM »

Are those boards pre-assembled or do you need to put all those little things on there? Great job but I wasn't surprised having seen other projects that Wayne has done.

Hi Terry,

Those boards are kits that include the boards and the parts that go into the boards.   I'm *just* starting to send them out (there are a number of folks patiently waiting), now that they've been used by others besides myself, and are proven to be buildable, and to work properly :-)  Both Class H and PWM board kits are available.  Check out http://www.classeradio.com/parts.htm for more info !

Regards,

Steve

AMroo
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 03:37:03 AM »

I am a defence tech and I think that that gear has a long way to go before it would be "battle ship class" have you ever tried to lift a  WSC-3, it's a tranceiver, do a search on it.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 08:05:58 AM »

Obviously you have never experienced QIX-class construction Grin

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
n3lrx
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »

Beautiful work Wayne.. I'm jealous! I doubt mine will turn out that nice. Sad  But I'll do my very best to make it look nice.

I especially love the engraved lettering. I've been planing on looking into that myself I've already spent too much as it is on this thing, but I guess that's one thing I can always add later once I do get it up running and battle tested.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »

There is a lot to like in that picture.     Very nice work.   Where did that wonderful heat sink come from?

Jon
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 09:02:06 PM »

AMroo what do you have for homebrew pictures.....
n3lrx
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 02:30:49 AM »

Yeah, AMroo let's see some of your work.. It might be a good idea to put some ass behind the mouth before you go slamming someone else's efforts!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 09:22:54 AM »

AMroo said:
have you ever tried to lift a  WSC-3

I'll have to cut you a break here and say yes I did. You are absolutely correct that they are built like a battleship because, they were installed in battleships, cruisers, and aircraft carriers. I helped many an ET with those and fabricated circuit boards for their antenna couplers.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »

Desingning mil quality equipment at home requires a guy to be well versed in thermal, mechanical and electrical design. Not many people can wear all those hats at once.   
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 03:23:51 PM »

True Frank,

Designing Mil Quality equipment at home is harder because you are not supported by tax dollars - allowed cost plus - failure - test report - program re-assignment - failure again - another test report - a program extension - failure again etc.. until after 50 years you finally declare success decide that the product was an anti missile missle after all!

P.S it still don't work..but it looks good!

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »

Yea Mike and once you build it you learn to love it.
Building a house you know where every mistake is hidden but after a while it lets you sleep at night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015