The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's new 2/2007  (Read 11001 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: February 21, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »

Over the last three weeks we have been updating and upgrading the site. We still have some items we are working on but for the most part it is done.

There are several new features and many of the old features have been enhanced.

The technical stuff

We did away with the formal front page. This is the front page to AMfone. You can just http://amfone.net and you will arrive here.

This site has been optimized to the web standard resolution 1024x768.

It is highly recommended that you clear your cache and session cookies for this site. There have been many changes to code as well as visual items. It is also recommended that you have the latest version of Flash Player on your computer. Not only for this site but for browsing in general. Almost all computers have this installed on them but like everything in the computer world you need to  update regularly. You can upgrade your version to the latest here:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW

Just download and install it. It is painless. Its Free

New Features

The two biggest additions are the new photo Gallery and the AM Audio Vault. We are currently still making changes but feel free to use these two new areas.

Gallery:

This is a 5meg gallery for each registered user here on the site. If you choose to use the Gallery it is simple.

1) On the menu bar (at the top of the forum where you see "Home Help Search "etc etc) and click on Gallery.

2) You should be in the main page of the Gallery. In the upper right hand corner you will see the bracket comments - [ MyGallery ] [ MyImages ]  [ Search ] - Click on my gallery. You should see your registered user name on the top and an option to add a category. Create a category. You just need to fill out the Title and Description to start and click on the Add category button.

Now you are back to the User page and you will see your category listed under Gallery Name. Click on the name. You are now ready to upload pictures. You will see some options like add a subcategory, Add Picture and return to gallery. We want Add picture. Click on it.  The rest is pretty straight forward. If you need help post it in Using the BBS.

AM Audio Vault:

Concept came from Bruce W1UjR and we quickly implemented it. Located  in the contents on the left hand column next to the forum.

Here's an collection of audio takes from years back up to current of the airwaves. We currently have over 100 files and more coming daily!

Please consider sending in your cuts to add to the Vault. You can send them to:
amvault@amfone.net. mp3, and wav are preferred but we can work with other files also.

Other enhancements include:

Sub Forums ( example can be found in the AM Online Handbook )

News Fader at the top of the Forum.

Message alert - - In the Menu bar at the top you  will find a tab labeled messages. This is for your PM's. If you have a new one there will be a flashing icon to alert you.

Quick reply: You have the option in you Control Panel to elect to have Quick Reply on. This will provide a text entry box a the bottom of any thread you are reading so you can reply quicker. No bells and whistles just type and enter.

This New Upgrade should load quicker for the slower connections.

As with anything we are still working out some bugs and there may be others we are not aware of yet so if you see anything please post it in the Using the BBS forum.

More to Come!!

Thanks for your Participation and Support

Gary

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:53:43 PM »

G, What happened to the live chat rooms? 
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »

Hi Bob

The use of the rooms dwindled over time . There were maybe 2 or three that used it regularly so we decided to shut it down and save some operational costs.( about three hundred a year!). The room used a Flash communications server and you pay for bandwidth up the  - - - - - - - - well.

Most are over on Skype. Works well and it is free.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »

Gary, I had a feeling that might be the case.  So were on Skype do AMFone people hookup?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »

Thanks Gary for all of your hard work. I think this forum has become more work than you need right now. I wish I could help with code but my knowledge of C+ is s dim memory of my english grades in school. About all I can do is help with donations.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015