The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:45:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first contact  (Read 22864 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 06:44:33 PM »

Huh There's almost always several AM QSOs on 160 any nite of the week... however static season is close approaching and the activity will die off as we approach summer.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »

160 meters works most of the summer. 1885, 1930 and 1945.
N0WVA

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 08:14:30 PM »

Ladder line going directly to the middle of a single wire dipole will work fine. But I think a folded will work better. Just use the ladder line for a folded dipole, and there ya go!

I like to keep losses at a minimum anywhere I can. By themselves they arent much, but add them all up and it makes a difference!
AB1GX
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 10:20:59 PM »

Ladder line going directly to the middle of a single wire dipole will work fine. But I think a folded will work better. Just use the ladder line for a folded dipole, and there ya go!

I like to keep losses at a minimum anywhere I can. By themselves they arent much, but add them all up and it makes a difference!

I bought a couple of old Swan 500C transceivers and cleaned them up.  For these guys, I'll take use your advice and put up a multiband antenna cut for 80 meters, ladder line to a homebrew antenna tuner and on to the vintage transceiver.

For one Swan, I need a Mallory electrolytic cap.  It's in the metal can with two sections 40uF, 40uF @ 450V.  Anyone know a source?
Bow/KD5KZN
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 10:46:07 PM »

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/EXTPAGE@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=CAPACITORS&SEARCH_TREE02=MULTISECTION

You should be able to find something there at AES http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Remember, you can increase the voltage, and the uf value
N0WVA

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »

Yep, you will find some twistlocks in there that will probably fit right in but with higher values which is fine....Also remember, if those prices are too steep for you, you can scab in some radial electrolytics underneath.....
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »

Ok, I'll chime in on the feedline thing.  A lot of guys swear by open wire line.  I swear AT it  Wink  But, seriously...

I use one antenna for 75 and 160 meters - yes, fed with coax.  2 antennas connected to the same feed line at 90 degree angles to each other.  Another completely seperate antenna for 40 meters and 10 meters.  Didn't bother with 20 - maybe someday..

The thing I don't like about open wire is trying to get it balanced.  It's just about impossible in the "real" world of trees, wires and the like - and if the feedline is LONG (like mine is), that's more of a problem.  I didn't even get into the tuner issue.

So, good old hard line coax from the local scrap yard (cable TV hard line - cheap and works great!).  I've got about 15 type 43 toroids at the end of the coax (the coax passes through these cores) at the antenna to decouple the line from the antenna itself.

The results speak for themselves  Grin  (for anyone who has ever talked with me on 75 or 160, that is)  Wink

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »

But Steve can you tune all of 75 3.6 to 4 mHz.
This usuallty takes 2 or 3 dipoles off the same feedpoint.

I have no problem with either system and run both.
Coax is a lot easier to deal with though.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 01:02:50 AM »

On the tuning - the lowest I've gone is 3680 and the highest I've gone is 3945.  It worked well in that range - the SWR stayed low.  That antenna is resonant at around 3.8mHz, so it goes about the same in either direction.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »

Yup I can go to about 3680 with the coax fed antenna below that the SWR takes off. My ant is also set for 3.8 MHz. I have found a multiwire dipole will extend the range.
I still like to have one antenna on a tuner that will go anywhere. I find the tuner in the basement near ground works the best. Put it up on the second floor of a house and there is RF everywhere.  I checked the balance on my feeders with 2 RF amp meters and it was right on. I think thelonger the feeder the better the balance. Even on 160 going from 1885 to 1945 the tuner wants a slight adjustment.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015