The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The AM Ghetto  (Read 111312 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »

Ah yes, hot bean juice!! The elyxir of life!! Dont leave home without it!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »

He never saw you coming...

Makes us even..... I never saw him either !!!

I'll be on tonite Frank. Gotta get the fix in.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2007, 03:48:12 PM »

I hope to hear some of y'all in the ghetto or SOMEWHERE on the band tonight. After all itz friday, and friday nite is radio night!! Dont talk about it, just do it!!

Of course it's Friday night, so the T-storms are coming in, per Vaisala.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=92

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t60690.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »

The point is, there will be less hassle with the SSB community if there is enough AM presence throughout the band that it will appear completely normal to hear AM activity anywhere in the phone bands.

I've heard that somewhere.
Oh yeah. That's why we have been frequency agile down low instead "claiming" a new spot.

Don't expect things to shift and settle in a few months' time. It may take years. Just keep at it to make it a habit.

See you tonight.

K1MVP
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »

Novice, Extra... it's all about the same now days.

Man,--ain`t that the truth Steve.
                                        73, K1MVP
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2007, 01:29:54 AM »

It was a great night in the ghetto tonight.  Great signals till the band finally went away.
WD8BIL, W2DTC, W2ZE, W1IA, KB3JKG, WA1KNX, KB3OMT, myself, and several others that my tired head cant remember. Big signals and minimal ssb qwerm.

I spun the receiver dial and found Todd and Bruce on 3.725, they were getting hammered by slopbuckets. I then spun back to the ghetto and hung out for the rest of the evening.

As I have said before, the ghetto isnt ALWAYS such a bad place to hang out!! Its all a matter of when. I got my well needed friday night radio fix!

Thanks guys, the money is under the pillow! Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2007, 01:44:44 AM »

Hi Frank,

Actually the band was not that bad down around 3725 last night. K4KYV, KA1KAQ, K4XT/8, and KF4GZN in eastern Kentucky and I held the frequency from around 9PM until 1:30 AM. I did have to hold the SP-600 down the 3 Khz Bw most of the time, but it was'nt so much the QRM as it was the changing band condx. that made it tough at times. Dave/K2DK called me around 1 AM, but the band really started to stretch at that point and I could no longer copy him at around 1:30 AM EST.  That's when I pulled the breakers on the rig, after being down there for a little over 4 hours. Great QSOs down here in the suburbs. Come on down, the water is fine!

I listened in the ghetto around 12:30 AM, and all I heard were a few stations on the West Coast. Could'nt even tell you were in there, which is most unusual.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2007, 09:34:10 AM »

I dozed off after the QSO, but came back out to the shack later.  The QRN had vanished, but I didn't hear much of interest on 160 or 80/75, so didn't turn the xmttr back on.

I did some SWL'ing on 40m. after midnight local time.  Europeans were coming in S9+40 between 7060 and the first broadcast  station on 7120.  I listened to a couple of F stations talk to each other for almost a half hour around 0700-0730 GMT.  They were  stronger than any of the US/VE stations on the band at the time.

40m would be a VERY nice phone DX band in the wee hours of the morning if we didn't still have those damned subband restrictions.  I don't know why the 40m phone band expansion didn't extend at least down to 7075, since the FeeCee was willing to grant us all the way down to 3600 on 80m, and there is very little domestic CW/digital activity above 7075.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »

Big signals and minimal ssb qwerm.

And the snow flies...
On 75 meters in a big qwerm storm
another pissweak AMer is scorned
In the ghetto..
and his tubes fry..

cause if there's one thing that he could use
its a bigass leenyar with a golden fuse
in the ghettoooooooo

and his elmer cries (in the ghetto)
ahhooooooo.....

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »

Big signals and minimal ssb qwerm.

And the snow flies...
On 75 meters in a big qwerm storm
another pissweak AMer is scorned
In the ghetto..
and his tubes fry..

cause if there's one thing that he could use
its a bigass leenyar with a golden fuse
in the ghettoooooooo

and his elmer cries (in the ghetto)
ahhooooooo.....

Thank you, Elvis.  That was lovely.

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »

Did somebody say Elvis?

Herb K2VH

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »

Did somebody say Elvis?

Thank you, Elvis.  You are lovely.

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2007, 09:55:37 PM »

Had AM action on both 3733 and 3720 from 5 to 9 PM ET. Only a handful of people showed up. Where were the rest of you losers?

Those who bothered to show:

W3DUQ
W3GL
W3JN
K3ZRF
KA1KAQ
W9GT
N8LGU
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »

A little early for me, but when I listened at about 0300 GMT, there was NO AM on 75/80 to be heard anywhere.  There was an AM QSO on 1885, and maybe a weak signal on 1995.  Heavy QRN from the Texas/Oklahoma panhandle region.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »

The static was getting kinda heavy by the time I signed.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2007, 12:32:19 AM »

This was not a radio night. Took the XYL out for dinner and a movie. By the looks of things, it appears like I did'nt miss too much anyway, and by the time we returned to the QTH, there was a thunderstorm raging here on Long Island.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2007, 12:52:29 AM »

This was not a radio night. Took the XYL out for dinner and a movie. By the looks of things, it appears like I did'nt miss too much anyway, and by the time we returned to the QTH, there was a thunderstorm raging here on Long Island.

Bruce

Ah, Ha!! you did it!! Grin Grin

I had to go the funeral parlor this evening. I got home around 9:pm or so. The YL wuz bitchin that she wanted to play some radio(go figger!!) I fired up the recievers and the band wuz long and the
craddick stashes were horrendous!! I shut the stuff off and went up and watched some tv.
(and other things) Shocked Shocked

The Slab Bacon

W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2007, 01:52:42 AM »

Hey Frank,

Yeah, nice evening out with the YL tonight. For a change, I did not bore her over dinner with issues of power supply bounce in high voltage power supplies with complex non-linear impedances, transient intermodulation distortion and slew rate in linear amplifiers, and the application of inverse feedback circuits to reduce carrier shift in PDM transmitters.

Hope you did not lose anyone too close.

Because of the t-storms, I did'nt fire up Old Betsy tonight.

Bruce

Herb K2VH

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2007, 08:30:32 AM »

Where were the rest of you losers?

I was in the Novice Band.  Shocked

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »

I thought I heard some rough CW down there. Kiss
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »

Hey Frank,

Yeah, nice evening out with the YL tonight. For a change, I did not bore her over dinner with issues of power supply bounce in high voltage power supplies with complex non-linear impedances, transient intermodulation distortion and slew rate in linear amplifiers, and the application of inverse feedback circuits to reduce carrier shift in PDM transmitters.
Hope you did not lose anyone too close.
Because of the t-storms, I did'nt fire up Old Betsy tonight.
Bruce

Nah, just an elder uncle that i didnt really care too much for, I just had to show my face, you know itz a family thing.

Since radio condx wuz so bad, we were having an applied math/physics class devoted to the inverse square law, you know:

the angle of the dangle is not directly proportional to the arc of .................. but the mass of the ... stays constant.  And inversly the arc of the ........ is therfore directly proportional to the heat of the ....!
 Shocked Shocked

The Slab Bacon

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »

yo,
    long thread here. I listle a bit down below, but hazard heard much. problem here is
the beam. I need the gain antenna to get back east ok, but have worked (much weaker)
down 3685. prolly I shud rework it into a log ant ? Id be frequency whorle wide!

am forever!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »

Good conditions down low again the evening. Had a nice group on 3733 and 3715 from 5-7:30 PM. Had the RX in the widest IF BW the entire time.

Deano you be WHIRL WIDE on ALL channels.

* 51j3720.jpg (123.54 KB, 600x477 - viewed 899 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »

Yeup, extended 1 on 1 with a guy in Roanoke VA and then a guy in York PA, 6p-8p, 3764Kc.

Steve yer receiver looks a little pinched, over over

* HUZ-51J.jpg (57.93 KB, 258x181 - viewed 873 times.)
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:08 AM »

I be whirl wide, down below,,, dat maks me a low-rider!

am forever!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015