The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:38:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: x  (Read 7054 times)
n4vgb
x
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »

x
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:48:49 AM »

Think RAID Mirroring and drive journaling. You'll never lose another bit of data again.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »

Yes indeed. Our EMC boxes even call home when a drive pukes, the techs call to let us know that they'll be up to swap it out. We've lost no data since going the RAID route on the maniframe some years ago. Cheesy

As far as ARC-5 info, there's a very good list on QTH.net devoted to the ARC-5 gear, also another one called Milsurplus. Try the BAMA site mirror:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/military-kg7bz/arc5/

Get the .pdf, the djvu files aren't searchable and do suck.

Old aircraft radios are my big weakness. I've been trying to build a complete ARC-5 station for years, now. Also the earlier ARA/ATA variants. The ARC-5 had so many accessories and variations for different installations, I doubt I'll ever find it all. The SCR-274N stuff is much more plentiful and has fewer bits to track down. The plain aluminum cases aren't as purty as the black wrinkle, but they also don't crack and flake.

Are you familiar with Mike Hanz's AAFradio site? He's perhaps the leading expert on the old aircraft gear, along with Gordon White who wrote much of the history of the Aircraft Radio Corp. Both frequent the QTH lists. Dave Stinson is another great source.

http://aafradio.org/

Click on 'Flight Deck', then under ARC-5 'The entire production set..'. Be prepared to drool.

Warning: you can easily spend hours on this site.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about your problems. It shouldn't have to be that way. End your PC and Windows woes and go Linux or Mac. Don't know about XP but setting up RAID Mirroring on the Mac is point and click and took about 30 seconds.

Free yourself from the M$ death grip. Grin

This is a great site with great people. Glad you are here!

Think RAID Mirroring and drive journaling. You'll never lose another bit of data again.

Steve, to be perfectly honest, I really wanted to join those that don't have to be a "hands on" system administrator type after my retirement from the local telco. I just wanted Microsoft to do the driving and let me enjoy the ride, "point and click", like most seem to be able to enjoy. It worked for almost 4 years now and I really enjoyed it.

Microsoft unleashed a flurry of software updates this year that caused me problems on 2 out of 3 of the PCs that we own. Now I'm a little suspicious that Microsoft may be attempting to force everyone to upgrade to Vista by butchering up XP. I've also ran into a compatibility issue between Norton Internet Security 2007 and XP on one PC, so I'm holding off on upgrading the other 2 PCs until Symantec comes out with a fix for the problem. Strange this compatibility issue would come up just after Microsoft releases their own version of internet security software isn't it!?

We run a small family owned and operated business (extra retirement income) with one PC and a software update from Microsoft for the IDE driver caused XP to not be able to access the drive and boot properly, the "last known good configuration" option cleared up that problem quickly-what a great driver update!

On the PC that I use exclusively at home and suffered the total loss of data, there seems to have been a conflict between a Microsoft driver update to the keyboard/mouse driver that Trend Micro Anti-Spyware stopped after the required update reboot started! When the reboot completed, XP thought it had no keyboard/mouse! I tried the old "safe mode", "last known good configuration" wouldn't work because the boot sequenece was successful-just no keyboard/mouse (ain't it a great OS that believes everything is OK when there is no way for user input) and a couple of others things but ended up just sticking the "system recovery" CD in and bringing it back to life in it's original configuration-all personal data lost.

Something in the range of 15-20 gig of radio related files lost- military, broadcast and ham. I've recovered about 13 gig total from DVD/CD backups and the web-that was fun!

I leave the external hard drive unplugged and manually mirror the internal hard drive to the external about once a week, if I find a really good piece of info on the web then I immediately add it to a DVD backup file. Unfortunately there seems to have been several good websites for info that have disappeared in the last 2-5 years.

Microsoft and PCs are quickly falling in with XYls, "can't live with them and can't live without them".

By the way, this is a great website and I wish I'd have joined years ago!!!    

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:52:52 PM »

Here's one good document. It's only 354 pages.

http://www.mines.uidaho.edu/~glowbugs/PDF%20files/ARC5/ARC-5-man.PDF

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »

Here's another site with lots of info:
http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/american.html

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:58:56 PM »

http://www.mines.uidaho.edu/~glowbugs/arc5pages.htm

Is this the pages you were looking for?

Bill KA8WTK
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »

Here's another site with lots of info:
http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/american.html

Pete, I made the mistake of joining this 'The Wireless Set No 19 Group' about 1-2 years back, at that time membership was necessary to gain access & download from their manuals. You were also placed on their 'email reflector' and the next day I received about 150 emails from the reflector! Joined and withdrew in a 24 hour period! Thanks but no thanks on this group. HiHi

You have the option in Yahoo Groups in your member profile to opt not to receive any e-mails, but that's your call.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015