The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Austrailia to Ban Incandescent Bulbs  (Read 35476 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: February 20, 2007, 04:41:11 AM »

http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=27733

Austrailia will ban incandescent bulbs in favor for compact fluorescent. 

CQ DX for a compact fluorescent

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
n3lrx
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:23:07 AM »

More global warming crap.. Only 17% of notable environmental scientists actually believe there is any evidence of it the rest think it's total hogwash and the whole concept has no scientific weight. Most scientists think it's nothing but a political popularity contest. I tend to agree.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:48:24 AM »

its driven by government tax funded or corporate slush fund money around the world. global warming and cooling are natural processes. We may effect it slightly, but not to the extent either side claims. In both cases, simply follow the money trail. Who ever is involved is GETTING PAID by someone to advance that view.

It's all horseshit, in other words, like most of modern life is.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:51:26 AM »

"But there's a concenses among hundreds of scientists that it's happening and Man must be causing it !"

Problem with this proclamation is....
Concenses has no place in science. (Remember when the world was flat ? That was concenses.)
Without proof it's still just hypothisis.
Besides, light bulbs make good dummy loads. When you pop a 150 watter you know you got strap !!!
n3lrx
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »

LOL Light bulbs make good boat anchor testers too.. Strap one in series with the AC line and it can save your smoke! Even if the tranny is a dead short it still can't pull more current then the light bulb..
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:35:39 AM »

Cool !! A visable fuse !!!

I know.... we have'em all over the machine shops here.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »

The BeeB aired a program last night discussing the use of CF Bulbs... Gugeling them returns several links....   

Here is a link  of interest...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/a_bright_idea_b.php

I have several CFB in areas that the lamps are left on for longer periods of time, ie, kitchen, stairwell and of course, the basement where I'm forced to hide my radios...    klc

What? Me worry?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »

More global warming crap.. Only 17% of notable environmental scientists actually believe there is any evidence of it the rest think it's total hogwash and the whole concept has no scientific weight. Most scientists think it's nothing but a political popularity contest. I tend to agree.

Yes, and when in these global warming arguments does the fact that we are still coming OUT of an Ice Age ever come up?

It's the same (In my warped mind) as the Universe.....
I'll explain......

Ever see a model of the solar system?
You know the ones.... The Sun in the middle, and our planets on rods circle around it?

Doesn't anyone else notice how much that resembles an Atom?
Nucleus in the middle (sun).... Protons, Electrons, circleing around... (planets..)

Try to get a scientist to entertain the idea that there is NO difference between the two, other than sheer size.......

Won't work unless there's a $ to be made.....

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:48:12 AM »

Yep, it's a sad day indeed when the media can push this crap and state it as being so, regardless of the evidence. I have no doubt of global warming from all I've learned. I also have no doubt that mankind could be contributing to it. But it's a loooong leap from that to man actually DRIVING global warming as the nutcases would have you believe. Climate changes have been with us forever, and will continue to be.

Despite all you hear about the polar ice caps melting to flood the earth, Antarctica is actually gaining ice. Go figure.  Roll Eyes

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2005/05/27/antarctic-ice-a-global-warming-snow-job/

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »

"Antarctica is actually gaining ice."     Well, thats because its on the bottom of mother earth...   And like my wife, the bottom always grows larger ............  klc

What? Me worry?
n3lrx
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »

I still don't see how melting north pole will flood the earth.. How do the figure that?

I'm no Einstien but I know that if I put an Ice cube in a cup of water the water level rises, the ice cube sinks about 3/4 of it's mass and when the ice melts the water level is actually LOWER then it was with the ice cube floating in it!

It's common sense that floating ice displaces water proportionate to it's weight, just like a ship or anything else! Since there is no land mass on the north pole how do they figure it's going to raise the water levels of the ocean?? If anything they should recede just like a cup of water when an ice cube melts!

BaH!!

Anyone remember back in the 70's they were preaching that by the 90's we were going to be in an Ice Age again? What ever happened to that??

If man does have anything to do with global warming it's only because Humans are the most overpopulated species on the planet! No other living being on this planet uses resources or takes up as much space as humans do. Do you think people will use common sense and stop having kids like rabbits? Not likely..
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:26:39 AM »

I gave fluorescent bulbs a try here many years back and suffered 'hash noise' generated by them on my receivers. I tried several brands and all produced this nasty noise. Is there a particular brand/model of these available now that is not a noise producer?

Well, they have improved alot......

I have no incans here except in the refridgerator, and the dial lamp in the kenwoody....

Been using the "contractor pak" from home depot.... for compact flourescents....
Only had one that made noise on 160 and 75 meters.... replaced it, and now all is fine....

This was in the past 4 years or so....
I remember trying them about 10 yrs ago, and threw them all away!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

I'm in th eprocess of eliminating all the hash generators from the QTH. XYL doesn't like them anyway. New place will have no hash generators. You can get a lot of light from 4 - 40 watt bulbs overhead spread over a room.  I have 8 lights in my shack overhead. 15 X 25 and provides plenty of light. The other side of the basement I had 2 dual 8 foot fixtures that I just eliminated. Too much noise. crappy weird color light. 
I'll buy a life time supply if some jack A$$ thinks up the same stupid idea in the beltway idiot gang.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »

I've got a few on right now...  no hash ...  they are  made in China and sold by GE.  15 watters = to 60 watters.  the color is ok .  we'll see if we get 6K hours out of 'em....     klc

What? Me worry?
n3lrx
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »

Not to be politically correct and save the earth, I changed over to simply save myself some cash on electric bills. All of the lights in my house are florescent replacements. I haven't noticed any noise from them on any of the HF bands. Of course I live alone and there are very few lights left on unless I am in the room to use the light, so there aren't allot of chances that several would be on at a time to increase the hash level. Might be different with a family depending on them for light.

I personally prefer incandescent light for the color, but I can live with the differences. As long as it's not a flickery florescent light. They drive me absolutely insane! Nothings worse than a half burned out florescent bulb!

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 02:35:49 PM »

(Remember when the world was flat ? That was consensus.)
Hey! Check this out.  And this

How long will it be before someone proposes the same ban here?  Maybe it's about time to start hoarding incandescent light bulbs, just as we have been forced to hoard tubes.  I especially like those low-efficiency "long-life" clear glass bulbs with a real brass base, that you can almost pound with a hammer as long as you don't break the glass, and never crap out the filament.

Hoard enough incandescents, and some day you will be able to list them on e-Pay for bumblebee capacitor and 2A3 tube prices.

A big energy-waste that concerns me is the present-day consumer electronics junk, nearly all of which remains energised even when the power switch is turned off.  And, those things are a fire hazard.  Just the other day it was in the local news that a house burnt down while the people were away from home, and arson investigators suspected a defective TV set.

I  have never seen a compact fluorescent bulb that didn't generate hash in the receiver on AM (broadcast or amateur bands), especially when using an indoor antenna such as my shielded loop, or a JS wire strung across the room.  We have a few CFLs in the house, but I won't allow one inside my shack.

And they don't last nearly as long as hyped.  In addition, most of mine, after a couple of weeks of usage, begin to have a delay between the time the switch is closed and the light comes on, plus they remain abnormally dim until they fully warm up, usually after for 2-3 minutes.

(comment posted on the Trehugger.com article) ...there's disposal issues, because of the toxicity of CFLs (mercury being the primary). So, instead of just being able to toss it in the trash, you have to get in your car and drive to the local household toxic waste processing center (if your town has one) and possibly pay for disposal.

Banning things is usually frought with all sorts of difficulties, first of which is provoking an immediate reaction about "freedom" and the sort -- and rightly so. And unless this is some sort of global ban (good luck with that), then are we going to get into criminalizing the possession of a certain light bulb? You think about it just a little bit and it's silly to even consider.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »

The north pole has oil under it. So who made it so warm to produce enouth waste to create oil....not humans
Polution is another thing though.
Home heating oil is crap these days. I used to go 3 years on the two filters on my tanks now every year they get plugged. I only burn about 750 G a year and there was no point in cleaning the furnace every season.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »

Home heating oil is crap these days. I used to go 3 years on the two filters on my tanks now every year they get plugged. I only burn about 750 G a year and there was no point in cleaning the furnace every season.

You need a new fuel company.  I've been on my filter for a bit more than 2 years now with no cloggage.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »

The north pole has oil under it. So who made it so warm to produce enouth waste to create oil....

The earth's axis of rotation is believed to have shifted over the aeons.  That oil located beneath the pole is in ground that was once part of a tropical paradise.

http://www.geocities.com/mw0440/earth.html

http://www.truthasaur.com/misc/axis_shift.html

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »

I got a couple of the 150 W equivalents for the basement shack and found that they made resonant noise on 15M.  I say resonant because the broadband sounding noise would drift in and out of the operating frequency. When we were in Home Depot the next time, I went over and read the back label to find a part 15 type disclaimer warning of Radio interference potential between .5 and 30 MHz. They simply advised to stop using the product if it caused interference to nearby radio communication equipment. I have not yet determined if it was conducted onto the power lines or radiated from the lamp helix itself. I did notice that if I put my hand near the bulb the interference changed and went in and out of band. I also "popped" one open and determined that it would be easy to add a filter to the power line.

These things are cheap to make, but expensive to buy, and if you do the "follow the money" bit it is clear that "big light bulbs" is making money on the global warming debacle.

It would be interesting to figure if the drop in water level by melting of Ice supported by oceans would be counteracted by the melting of ice supported by land such as in Antarctica, and how much if at all.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »

Melting of floating ice, such as what we have at the north pole, should have no effect at all on the ocean levels.  When ice is placed in liquid water, 90% of the hunk sinks beneath the water level, and 10% extends above.  That is because ice is slightly less dense than liquid water.  Remember, when water freezes, it expands, so you have the same amount of mass, occupying slightly more space.  The hunk of ice displaces its own weight as it floats.  When it melts, it still weighs the same and displaces the same amount, but combines 100% with the rest of the liquid water.

But where there is glacier formation on land mass, such as in Greenland and much of Antarctica, the ice is not floating.  It rests on land, supported by the solid ground beneath.  When it melts, most of it eventually flows back into the ocean and raises sea level.

- - -
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 07:29:16 AM »

When it melts, most of it eventually flows back into the ocean and raises sea level.

No argument there Don but "they" act as if it's never happened before !
Millions of years of climate history and suddenly we're the problem. Geeesh !

Just keep in mind.... without the myth of Man Made Global Warming there'd be no federal research grants. Wink
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 07:41:01 AM »

Wasn't it our safe car manufacturer VOLVO that got everybody to ditch the FREON in our air conditoners in cars and homes because it was warming the Earth? The newer replacement is less effecient than FREON.
What a waste

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 09:19:32 AM »

Just keep in mind.... without the myth of Man Made Global Warming there'd be no federal research grants.

Not quite true. There would be no federal research grants related to global warming studies and etc. The gov hands out tons of $$ for all kinds of grants. Some are good, some seem ridiculous.
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »

The Freon bit had to do with the Chlorine in it destroying the ozone layer. Truth is that just one active volcano pours out more Chlorine that we produce with freon. More bad science to get money for grants and BS research.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015