The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:20:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headphone Woes - Need Help !!  (Read 17515 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »

Don, the open ear/air type cans have holes through the ear cups to allow sound and air from the room in. In some cases the manufactures call it ventilation for long periods of use. Others call them sound ports for studio awareness.

Right !!

Any headphone that keeps out background noise (unless it is noise cancelling) is closed.  The closed headphones cause the old "hands over the ears" problem - with the echo in the head effect.

The open phones do not do this.  The RH3s are actually "semi-open", but open enough to not cause the echo in the head effect.

Haven't heard anything from Grado yet ....

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
2ZE
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »

I heard that a 30 cycle note can make you lose control of your bowels and vaaavooom (true or false?)

A TV show on Discovery channel named "MYTHBUSTERS" disspelled the "brown note" theory that a loud sub audible tone will do that. One of the hosts sat in front of very large woofers that produced a SPL of 140 Db at varying tones all the way to 2Hz. No loss of control.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »

Just a side note about closed headphones and voice 'sidetone'.

I used to work on digital comm radios that had about 10 to 15 milliseconds of audio throughput delay.  You could really hear an echo as you put on the headphones - but with good closed headphones, you did not notice the echo once the cups were sealed around your ears.  You pretty much couldn't tell that there was even a delay.

This may become an issue if people start using DSP speech processing.

Bacon, WA3WDR

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »

Steve
I'm very happy with my KOSS Pro 4AA. I do not need extended range for Ham use but these are great for my recording studio where the Flintstone thing happens. Shadio Rack was selling this brand. They are nice to wear for a couple of hours and shut out external noise very well. They can be driven very loud using my Mackie board.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 06:50:06 PM »

steve,
   are those the ones I remember listening to while at your shack years ago?
if so I remember them having great audio & low end. I just did a search for
rh3 headphone, and got a bunch of hits for yamaha. you may be able to find
a new pair yet

deano

am forever!
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2007, 07:18:37 PM »

Yes,  you get a lot of hits on Google....
BUT, most, if not close to ALL of the adverts for "RH3" are actually for the "RH3C".

It isn't until you read the fine print, or in some cases, read the label on the package if there is a picture, that you realize it's the "c" model......

There may still be some RH3 out there, but it looks like the NOS is drying up.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 02:05:20 AM »

Yeah, I found thousands of hits for the RH3, but it turns out that they are ALL the RH3C.  Many sites have pictures of the OLDER RH3, but when you get them in the mail, it's the RH3C  Sad

Oh well !  Still have not found anything.  Grado could only recommend one pair of headphones, and that pair cost about $1000.00, so obviously, that pair is OUT !

Talk later and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N0BST

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 07:55:15 PM »

Have you checked the Shady O Rack Optimus headphones?  33-1122 stock number.  They've got butt-kicking bass, but then your ears may judge them differently.  They run about $35, IIRC.

Scott Todd
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 09:30:24 PM »

I am very happy with my Sony MDR777LP Headphones.  I have had them for about a month now.  I used them to dial in my audio gear for the Valiant.

Richard

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2007, 11:53:26 PM »

Stev,

These look classic - I think this is what they used to test my hearing in 3rd grade.

This second setup is for listening even more carefully for Steve's actual voice, bypassing the radio circuit completely. Now if I can just get it aimed at Groton... 

Mike WU2D

* telex1.jpg (78.33 KB, 536x640 - viewed 495 times.)

* USAjan1943.jpg (27.55 KB, 420x389 - viewed 449 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015