The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:46:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening on 3879.8 (about) right now  (Read 28957 times)
w1guh
« on: January 27, 2007, 12:47:19 AM »

It's a great QSO.  All signals are strong, and the audio is impeccable.

(Yea, I solved my HF receiving antenna problem in an urban setting)

I'm listening on a 75-S3A.

But is all you guy can talk about is the subtle, probably irrelevant tiny differences in mics?

Give me a break!

Is this what you think is what HF needs?

Just asking...

73l,

W1GUH, Paul
w1guh
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 12:49:56 AM »

The calls I've heard are WA1QIF, W2XR, K1KBW
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:32:25 AM »

We were talking about the things we wanted to talk about. If you or HF wanted to talk about something else, it's easy - start another QSO. Lots of empty freqs this time of night.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 08:27:04 AM »

Is this what you think is what HF needs?

Just what do YOU think HF "needs"  ??

Maybe that would help bring an understanding of why you have asked.

Actually, in the time since you last were on the air, most of us have switched over to the new AM Pro type of signal. This discussion was probably focused on some of the variables involved in that technique.
[/size][/color]
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 11:35:41 AM »

now everybody play nice or I will have to ask you to go home
we and not in the beltway you know
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »

W1GUH et al,

Thank you Paul/VJB and Steve/HUZ for addressing this. I was a little taken aback when I saw the posting from this gentleman, especially his comment,"But is all you guys can talk about [sic] is the subtle, probably irrelevant tiny differences in mics?"

As everyone is aware on this forum, the microphone is a crucial element in providing the desired on-air sound.

I personally like to hear how different microphones sound on the air, particularly those of other stations.  This was how I selected the microphones used here at W2XR; by hearing these same mics on the air, appreciating the quality, and purchasing them for use in my station.

I believe this fellow is unaware that in order to provide the highest possible  transmission quality in AM (or any mode for that matter), a process of progressive refinement is required in terms of optimizing the transmitter and related audio circuits. As you move further and further up on the curve, these differences and improvements can become very subtle indeed, but ultimately, it's the summation of all of these sometimes small and incremental improvements that make the sound of the rig that we all strive for. Absolutely nothing new here, and the process of improving the technical quality in my station has never ended and never will.

When we ask how a different microphone (or adjustment to the rig) sounds to other participants in a QSO, and the other stations can readily discern the differences, this is a credit to the quality of the receiving set-up at the listening end as well the transmitter. I put tremendous value in the objective and constructive critism that virtually all of the AM guys offer when they are polled about audio quality, etc., and the only way to do this is to discuss these issues on the air. Can't do this with a dummy load!

It's a matter of getting the right combination of equipment that enables us to get the highest possible fidelity out of our equipment, and the only way of doing this is to do the kind of testing we do on the air. Sorry, but as long as I've been a ham (37 years and counting), experimentation with other stations has been a way of life in this hobby.

Just my 2 cents worth, as I would be the first to admit that I do like to experiment on-air with different microphones, audio density adjustments, EQ settings, etc. , and I believe the other participants in the QSO you we referring to to in your post feel the same way.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 12:28:22 PM »

" The audio chain starts with the Mic "

or maybee the mind...    or maybee not ...  See  the appendex of  1984 by George Orwell.... ..      klc

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:59:20 PM »

Bruce if I were you I wouldn't feel compelled to somehow defend the subject matter. It's a nice courtesy you have extended  to explain the interest, but it's like any topic anyone encounters, none is more "important" than some other, nor is there a greater value attached to it by its presence on the bands.

That's why I will be very interested to see GUH's list of things that "need" to be on HF.

He clearly has a set of topics in mind, and I will carefully consider his answer, or lack of response, as this discussion continues.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 01:02:37 PM »

or maybee the mind...    or maybee not ...  See  the appendex of  1984 by George Orwell.... ..      klc

That is a good one.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »

Usually when someone can't follow audio changes on the air it has to do with the receiver's lack of audio response. Dunno if this is the case here.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »

I thought the audio chain starts at the larynx, altered as it travels through the vocal tract, and configured differently based on the position of the tongue, lips, mouth, and pharynx.

If you sound like Minnie Mouse when you talk, no microphone is going to make you sound like James Earl Jones.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »

If you sound like Minnie Mouse when you talk, no microphone is going to make you sound like James Earl Jones.

Quite right Pete but if you had a voice like James Earl Jones the wrong microphone could make you sound like Mini Mouse!!

Audio Chain: A series of audio equipment that's interconnected to control sound for reproducing. A simple audio chain would be as follows: microphone, mixer, equalizer, amplifier, speaker. (Definition from Accoustic Glossary)

The audio chain does start with the Mic as it is reproducing the local sound of our voices. I guess the operative word is reproduce. Something has to generate sound so it can be reproduced.

Interesting to say the least.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
n3lrx
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »

Actually, I'm really surprised that this guy's surprised. I mean after all that's what the AM crowd is about. If not Microphones it's about the tube line-up, or many other technical discussions of or about radio.

That is why I enjoy the AM crowd! It's allot better than listening all day to a bunch of geezers complain about their dentures and trying to chase DX all the time. If I had 1/10 the marbles allot of the AM crowd has got I wouldn't be complaining! Intelligence and the sharing of knowledge is always something I find interesting. If only I could retain what I hear I wouldn't have to ask so many stupid questions!

Of course a little belching, farting and drop the maul fun thrown is on top of it just to show we're normal people too!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 03:32:31 PM »

Can't we talk about prostates and why ham radio was better before (insert time point here)
That is why I got my license.......

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
kd5cpl
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »

Hi--

The QSO you guys are talking about was S9+ here in Oklahoma City last night. Lots of good signals with great audio. Even the DX 100 was clear. The noise level was very low, and the SSB stations that had been on just below that freq. an hour earlier must have gone to bed. Some of the best band/path conditions between here and your part of the country that I have heard recently. Very nice signals and audio, especially considering my space-limited and way less than ideal antenna. The differences in the microphone comparison were audible here also. You guys have some excellent sounding stations. I hope the unusually good band conditions will happen more often!

73; Gary KD5CPL
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 04:04:42 PM »

Could it be that Paul GUH was just being a smarty pants?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 09:48:44 PM »

Bob,
Sometimes it is fun to poke the hornets nest and run.....all kids at heart
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 12:13:53 PM »

Geeeezzzseee!! I was in that qso, it was a great qso with excellent signals for a change on 75. No qwerm, no crap, and no friggin slopbuckets. signals and audio were great! Last night was even better condx than friday night. huge signals, all totally fully quieting my receiver.

Friday night, Qixie was making aircheck recordings and playing them back for everyone. Ritchie (KB2AM) had me rolling on the floor when he heard himself and said "I couldnt belive I sound like a faggot" (He was a bit un neutralized) I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself!! All of the rest of us tried to tell him how good his new HB rig really sounded, but he was too unneutralized to believe us. Truely another "great moment of AM"!!

As far as complaining about the topic of a qso and not being an actual part of it is kinda like being an
"armchair quarterback". If you werent actually part of it, you really have no right to bitch about the current topic of discussion. The nicest thing about the am qsos are the topics of discussion, they can go anywhere from hemmrhoids to muscle cars, to guns, to audio. That is the charm of it all. If you dont like the current topic of discussion change frequency and find another qso more to your liking, or better yet join in to it and steer it more in the direction of your liking, but join in to it!!

A short or compromised antenna is no excuse!! I have been running one for many years!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 04:26:30 PM »

Hey Franko,

Well put. You're right, it's like TV; if you don't like what's on, change it to another channel!

Maybe this fellow was just jealous concerning the QSO we were participating in; all of the stations had audio that was better than any broadcast station you are likely to hear on either MF or HF, plus the content was a heck of a lot more interesting as well.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W2JBL

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 09:11:30 PM »

sure was a good one last night, eh Frank? the guy in Florida strapping with a barefoot Ranger, and topped off at about 2AM with Dean WA1KNX/7 from Arizona 30 DB worldwide with a DX100... if i don't like the topic of conversation i'll simply turn the dial. see the First Amendment: if you don't underdstand the First Amendment, then read the Second Amendment...
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 08:30:43 AM »

Chris,
        Saturday night was even better than friday night! Absolutely fabulous condx!!
Deano was the icing on the cake, he was +30 into B-more! I gotta stop those 3:00 am stints though. I stayed up way too late saturday and sunday I had my ass on backwards all day. However friday and saturday nites were the "radio fix" that I was jonesin for!! I NEEDED THAT!!

Bruce, 
         You shoulda been on saturday night, it was EVEN BETTER than friday!!
Signals were HUGE very low noise!

The Slab Bacon

W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 09:18:18 AM »

Franko,

Yeah, so I heard! I was busy all evening wiring up the shunt bias regulator for the 833A modulator, and like most of these projects, got completely engrossed in it and lost all track of time. Wish I fired up old Betsy and joined you guys on Saturday evening. I'll be spending a lot of time over the next few weekends wiring up the +1250/+450 VDC PSU for the new 845 audio driver and then integrating the whole thing into the rig, but I'll still be on the radio.

I agree; these 3-4AM sign-offs kill me the next day. Not like I'm 21 years old anymore when I could do all-nighters and have no ill effects the next day!

Best 73,

Bruce

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »

I agree; these 3-4AM sign-offs kill me the next day. Not like I'm 21 years old anymore when I could do all-nighters and have no ill effects the next day!

Aint it hell being over 50 now! Reminds me of an old saying: What I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do!! Grin Grin

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 10:51:56 AM »

What I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do!! 

Once a week !!!! (or is that weAk?)
WB3JOK

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 12:56:14 PM »

I've heard there are three stages:
1) Tri-weekly
2) Try weakly
3) Try...

Grin
-Charles
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: