Toroidal Balun vs. Choke Balun

<< < (4/6) > >>

Steve - WB3HUZ:
A center-tapped winding wouldn't work?

WA1GFZ:
it sure will but you change the name to a link coupled tuner.

Steve - WB3HUZ:
Sort of. But it doesn't have to be a tuner, just a small link to to the balanced to unbalanced conversion. They're often used at dipole feedpoints for this and broadbanding purposes.

WA1GFZ:
Yup agree. I decided to connect the center tap of my BB transformer secondary to ground for a couple reasons. First to force balance referenced to ground and second to make the antenna see a DC return for static close induced lightning. Still the 10 KW caps will flash over when there is a close one. I would think you could do the same thing with a link coupled tuner. I went a step further by using a pair of 300 pf 10 kv cardwells in series. Cases connected to ground for the output cap. This gives me another point to force balance.
I've tried floating the cases but the tuner seems happier with the cases grounded.
Again last winter I removed the transformer and did a coax balun and it worked fine.
There are many ways to do the deed usually linked to the junk box stock room.

W2VW:
Low pass tuna design, safety choke in amplifrier, antenna at DC ground. Rube Goldberg started out by making antenna tuners.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands