Johnson Viking Valiant 866 rectifier

<< < (2/3) > >>

kc4umo:
Quote from: N1BCG on November 27, 2017, 07:26:03 PM

The good news is that the 866 Mercury vapor tubes have a fairly low voltage drop (about 15 Volts) so changing over to a set of 1N4007 diodes (4) should work. Given the higher supply voltage these days, plate loading should be set lower, such as around 300 mA for AM and 350 mA for CW.

Thanks for that information, so solid state should work out fine. I will look over the circuit tomorrow. Perhaps it is not as difficult as I am thinking it is.

Quote from: WD4DMZ on November 27, 2017, 08:03:19 PM

What type of solid state rectifier replacements are those? Any #?

Thanks, Rich

Rich, these came from RF Parts quite a while ago. Were like 50 bucks each.
They are  They are the FAA 1N2637 rectifiers.

k3msb:
Interesting post as I'm currently working on solid-stating my Valiant.     The voltage drop on the 866's is so low that I'm not bothering with a dropping resistor.   Each leg of the solid state replacement will be 4 1N5408 diodes (total of 8 required for both legs).

I chose to mount a small perf board under the chassis to mount the diodes and new filter caps -- I increased each cap from 80 uF to 100 uF.

Jim, W5JO:
Series two 9 volt batteries and use a voltmeter to check the voltage drop on those rectifiers, I think you will find they are quite well adapted to the Valiant.  Be sure the drop is the same on both.

Opcom:
I prefer the mercury rectifiers for the glow. Also xenon - have more than I could use of those. I don't mind warm up times.

N1BCG:
Quote from: Opcom on November 28, 2017, 05:03:53 PM

I prefer the mercury rectifiers for the glow.

Indeed. I find the glow from silicon diodes alarming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands