Scrapping a Classic

Pages: (1/3) > >>

Todd, KA1KAQ:

Been a while since I was active on here. Always thought as I got older there would be more time. Clearly this has not been the case.

We're currently staring down the barrel of another move, this time more cross-country instead of in-state or next door. As a result of that and with memories of the last two moves, it's time to lighten the load considerably.

Hard to believe, but it's been nearly 20 years since I picked up the 21XS from W2INR. Once a 21E, Gary worked his magic and built a true masterpiece. When he put it up for sale, I was thrilled to get it. Coincidentally right around the time I got married.

Steve, K4HX and I drove from NC to NY to haul it home with only minor drama along the way. At one point all three cabinets were set up in my new station and about ready to re-populate with iron and tubes. Then we moved to northern VA where it sat in the garage for three years. Another move in 2019 to our current location with some misjudgement on my part. I thought there was plenty-o-room for it in the basement station, but soon discovered I had measured wrong, missing the fact that the basement was not as 'full' as the upstairs floor plan about 1/3rd of it was crawlspace.

The transmitter has sat on the porch deck outside the station, covered but still partly exposed. A few folks were interested over the years, but nothing ever materialized. Sooooo....

Told the good wife Mable that I was going to scrap it. She had been advocating for this two moves ago. Imagine my surprised when she, of all people, asked me to list it for sale "one more time"!

It's now in the classifieds but will most likely be at the transfer station in a couple weeks. Tubes, meters, knobs, even transformers are a lot easier to move than three large, steel cabinets with their associated front panels, doors, and ventilation panels. I can remove the cap from my Ranger and tip them into the back, one by one, then push them into the metal dumpster.

Having spoken with many of the crew over the years the answer was always the same. Most recently with Joe/WA2PJP the obvious was again mentioned: we can't be the curators of everything forever.

In honor of the man who created it, here are a few shots Gary took of the "21XS", including one when it was still the 21E. A true work of art for those so-inclined.

KA8WTK:

Would love to hear someone pull off one last "INR" on that before it is gone forever.
Where to now Todd?

Bill KA8WTK

KL7OF:

The driver section is a 300j. Can easily be made into a  stand alone 250 watt tx.

KD6VXI:

You can't erase things from the internet.

It will live on forever.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI

KA3EKH:

Most salvage yards will pay around $4 per hundred for stuff like that. Way better end to it them going into a landfill. The thing is to have something like a small trailer to drag the stuff to the scrap yard.  I have recycled several analog television transmitters after striping the good parts.

Pages: (1/3) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands