Tube of the Week

Pages: << < (2/18) > >>

Steve - K4HX:

Opcom has first dibs, but another member has volunteered.

We may want to make this Tube of the Week to allow more time for discussion and reduce the effort in coming up with new/interesting tubes. What say?

Opcom:

I agree with a weekly tube for the reasons given. I feel that there need not be much effort searching out tubes unless someone wishes to, and there is certainly a limited number of tubes meeting the criteria of unique, available, and inexpensive.

Though when the 8417 is mentioned, 'inexpensive' is not too applicable as they go for $100 each whereas similar tubes like the 6550 cost much less. To my thinking it's no something I'd experiment with and I've modded audio amps to get away from price extremes.

My aim was for tubes which would be attractive for experimenters because of an unusual characteristic, so in general they should also be available and inexpensive, to encourage uses that are pertinent to the special capability.

If it is to be multiple posts per tube type, then it should be on a weekly basis per type, and posts about a single type of tube should be made only during its actual week or 7 day period, so that once the next tube is posted, the posts for the previous week's tube won't be getting into the current  one. In any case once the new tube is posted, people should refrain from posting on the previous one. That is where a PM to a gatekeeper might be useful.

I'm here sporadically, and though I'm enthusiastic about unusual, useful, and inexpensive tubes, I would be happy to leave gatekeeping to someone who is so interested as to have volunteered for it and is on the board daily or near daily.

That was just my vision as the OP, and I am happy to leave the maintenance, 'rules', and improvements of the topic to the admins and a volunteer.

Thanks,

KA3EKH:

If you are going to do “Tube of the Week” my vote for the first week has to be the 807

wb1ead:

Hi Patrick & all..gud idea and I do have a couple candidates that I wud like to know more about in the stash..I'm hoping that questions such as where used/intended purpose and such will be part of this section..when I saw the title "Tube of the Day" it brought back in memory of a show I used to watch years ago on ch 4 out of Boston.."Star of the Day"
              I'll be sending in my querys a little later..gud idea Patrick!  73 de DAVE WB1EAD

KD6VXI:

8417 is expensive because of Wawassee Electronics.  They used it in amplifiers for RF.  Very non linear amplifiers.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Pages: << < (2/18) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands