W2EWL Special - How Vintage SSB started in Ham radio

<< < (4/4)

WD5JKO:

Hi all,

Just an update on the ARRL copyright issue. I emailed the ARRL (permission@arrl.org) concerning the 1950's article I posted on my web space written about the W2EWL special. The email is pasted below in red. I was hoping the ARRL would clarify how they handle expiring copyrights. Do they just let them expire, or do they renew? If they renew, do they renew just certain content? Guess what? In two days, December 27th, my email to the ARRL will have been in their inbox for one month, still unanswered. I do not think the ARRL wishes to clarify this issue. As things are now, moderators of various forums fear legal issues from the ARRL, and police those who attempt to post anything from the good old days. If it was ever Copyrighted, then you can't post it - ever.

Maybe others can push the issue with the ARRL.  Go ahead and email them. I think we will find out that the ARRL content becomes public domain after 28 years, plain and simple.

permission@arrl.org

Jim
WD5JKO

Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 4:05 PM
To: permission@arrl.org
Subject: Need Clarification/Permission

Hi,

I recently posted a 1958 QST article, and I was reminded that I needed permission from the ARRL to do this because most if not all QST issues are copyrighted. Here is a link to the article:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/W2EWL/

I looked into the issue a bit and what I found was that all copyright materials prior to 1923 are now public domain. Newer stuff expires at 28 years of age, and can be renewed for 67 years more if renewed soon after expiration.

So does the ARRL automatically renew expiring copyrights, or do these simply become public domain after 28 years? If your copyrights expire without renew, then why does the ARRL FAQ not mention this?

If the posted article has been renewed, and has a valid copyright, then do I have your permission to keep it posted?

Jim
WD5JKO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands