Looking for Mohawk Mods

(1/4) > >>

ve1hd:
I am working on a recently acquired Heathkit Mohawk. I see references to mods for the Mohawk but I have not been able to find any. Does anyone have mods for this receiver ? Does anyone know if they are available online ?
Thans in advance ...

K7NCR:
I purchased the copies of ER for that radio series. Reasonable price. But, would it be allowable to post some scans on this site? Would we need permission from ER magazine? I could make the scans. Anyone have thoughts?
Norm K7NCR

W2XR:
I have a Mohawk as well. In my opinion, it is one of the prettiest receivers ever made (along with the Apache and Marauder transmitters that I also own); in my mind, it evokes the 2-tone color scheme of a '57 Chevy. You know, that classic turquoise and white color combination. This is not surprising, as a lot of the Heathkit "Indian-series" equipment debuted in 1958, and was no doubt modeled on the industrial design and popular styling of the time. Like my Apache and SB-10 SSB adaptor, my Mohawk has the chrome-plated knobs that were used on the last production of this classic equipment. Very cool looking.

At any rate, it is also my opinion that it is one of the worst HF communications receivers ever made. Drifty, susceptible to front-end and IF overload (ever wonder why Heath put the IF gain control on the front panel??), poor AGC, terrible audio, etc. The mods suggested in the ER article are probably worthwhile, but I'm leaving mine stock. Currently my Mohawk is a shelf-queen that graces W2XR Studio 3.

The "user-receivers" here at W2XR are the SP-600, the R-390A, and the 75A-4. They all literally run circles around the Mohawk insofar as performance goes, which is entirely unsurprising, considering the price differential, etc. . But none of them hold a candle to the Mohawk in the sexy looks department.

Good luck with your Mohawk, the 1957 Chevy of amateur radio receivers!

Bruce

w3jn:
Posting copyrighted material on any forum is a no-no unless you received the permission from the copyright holder.

I doubt whether ER would grant such permission; the owner is a businessman, and I don't think the small price for back issues he charges is unreasonable at all.

IIRC it was a 3-part article as there were plenty of mods to be made.

I too was disgusted with one I briefly had and sold it very quickly for all the reasons Bruce stated.

ve1hd:
The challenge of doing the mods are part of the exercise. If one wants plug and play one simply goes to the store and buys a ready made box and goes home and plugs it in.
Maybe the receiver is a real piece of junk, but then again maybe it is worth the effort. I want to do the latter.
I am not trying to get someone to break the rules of business. Just asking if anyone had the list of mods for the RX-1. Maybe there will be some and maybe there won't.
In any case thanks in advance.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands