How do I correctly repair my UTC CVM-4?

(1/3) > >>

w1vtp:
I got this really nice UTC CMV-4 at the last NearFest (was really excited about the find).  However, I have a bit of a repair problem.  My first reaction was to just reattach the broken Bakelite using regular epoxy but Tim HLR cautioned me about the epoxy not handling the heat from a slobbering iron -- good point.

So the question is what's the best approach, product etc.  I've included a photo of the poor beastie.  The broken piece of Bakelite is resting against one of the posts -- not obvious.

Then there's the question on how best to remove those HUGE wires that are on the terminals without repeating the problem

73, Al VTP

Pete, WA2CWA:
Heak sink the terminal before you apply the soldering iron to the terminal. Epoxy or super type glue will work on the bakelite.

Jim, W5JO:
Regular set JB Weld, not the quick set type.

k4kyv:
The wire remnants in the terminal lugs should unsolder easily enough.  Looks like the damage was done while the heavy wire was still soldered to the lug intact.  I have repaired the bakelite terminal boards of UTC transformers with epoxy with no problem.  I  would trust it over super glue.  I have found that bakelite repaired with epoxy is just as strong as the original.  Heat from soldering to the terminal lug hot enough to damage the epoxy repair would likely damage the undamaged bakelite just as much.  I am always sparing with heat to those transformer terminals.  Usually, tar oozes out around the terminal before any damage is done to the board.

As for the wire, it should be easy enough to solder the leads in place, whether with stranded or solid wire, in a manner that would not unduly stress the terminal lugs.  It looks like whoever wired that transformer didn't follow basic precautions with the mechanics of assembly.

w1vtp:
Quote from: Jim, W5JO on February 21, 2008, 05:38:53 PM

Regular set JB Weld, not the quick set type.

JB Weld?  I am guessing it is available at hardware stores.  I'll check it out

73, AL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands