Wayne Green W2NSD - What's Up?

<< < (10/11) > >>

W9GT:
Quote from: KA1ZGC on May 21, 2007, 04:17:49 PM

Quote from: w9gt on May 21, 2007, 04:08:32 PM

If he were processing filings to the FCC or championing some sort of drive, it might be different.

Read Don's post back on the first page, reply #15.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught

Quote from K4KYV:
If I recall correctly, Wayne once petitioned to phase out AM, some time in the early 60's, long before Johnston and his henchmen took control of the Private Radio Bureau at the FCC.  The petition was never taken seriously because at the time the majority of hams were still using AM and it would have probably forced almost as many people off the air as incentive licensing did.

Well, I was one of that majority using AM back in dem good ol days.

I guess I just believe in the positive aspects of what we are doing now and I don't feel it is necessary to dig up old bones.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Todd, KA1KAQ:
Quote from: KA1ZGC on May 21, 2007, 04:26:04 PM

Quote from: WA3VJB on May 21, 2007, 01:03:13 PM

Sensing a bit of an edge from people taking part in the discussion about Wayne Green, I am considering a lock on the thread as it stands.

Why?

Wayne Green is the topic of discussion, and we've stayed on that topic. You may perceive "a bit of an edge", but that hardly justifies locking a thread. If we were on edge towards each other, yes, but we're not, and nobody's launching any attacks towards anyone.

I think it referred mainly to my follow up post Thom, which I removed earlier. I took exception to Bruce referring to the issue as a 'we did invite him' thing when his earlier post said 'this is what I sent to Wayne..'. I'm one of those folks who doesn't like to be spoken for by the self-appointed in general and also felt the idea wasn't well thought out and could cause unneeded problems for amfone. My attempt to point out the contradictions and possible ramifications here wasn't going to change anything though, and could instead have lead to a pissing match between pros and cons, so I pulled it.

I do like your 'on the air' idea, though, being a strong believer that folks need to spend more time on the air and less online. :)

W1UJR:
Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ on May 21, 2007, 04:50:26 PM

I think it referred to mainly to my follow up post Thom, which I removed earlier. I took exception to Bruce referring to the issue as a 'we did invite him' thing when his earlier post said 'this is what I sent to Wayne..'. I'm one of those folks who doesn't like to be spoken for by the self-appointed in general and also felt the idea wasn't well thought out and could cause unneeded problems for amfone. My attempt to point out the contradictions and possible ramifications here wasn't going to change anything though, and could instead have lead to a pissing match between pros and cons, so I pulled it.

I do like your 'on the air' idea, though, being a strong believer that folks need to spend more time on the air and less online. :)

Wayne Green and what is going on with him right was the topic of this thread. I should know, I was the one who started it! Then many of the guys chimed in that they liked and missed his magazine, some shared that they did not care for his view of AM, a view which may or may not have changed over the years. Hence the invite to Wayne, to tell us what is up with him. Another poster also invited him.
Said invite was not an invite to a debate, we don't have to argue about everything.

As far as anyone speaking for you, your first post was not until the near bottom of the second page, long after the invite had been extended, long after many of the earlier posters had expressed interest in Wayne, and long after much discourse had been exchanged. Me thinks thou does protest too much!  ;D Perhaps a good rule if ones does not like the nature of a thread, don't bother to comment. The AMFone site is by nature full of divergent views, such is life!

Ah, this is what makes life interesting.
Now back to our regular scheduled programing!

Todd, KA1KAQ:
Quote from: W1UJR on May 21, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Wayne Green and what is going on with him right was the topic of this thread. I should know, I was the one who started it! Then many of the guys chimed in that they liked and missed his magazine, some shared that they did not care for his view of AM, a view which may or may not have changed over the years. Hence the invite to Wayne, to tell us what is up with him. Another poster also invited him.
Said invite was not an invite to a debate, we don't have to argue about everything.

As far as your first post Bruce, that's true. But you somehow took the leap from a few curious others (not sure I'd agree that a few folks 'wondering what he's up to now' equals 'many') as a request by all to invite someone with a clearly known anti-AM past, to amfone. This was my point, sorry for not being more clear on that. It wasn't the individual so much as the process that got us to this point. The thread isn't an issue at all, more the potential impact to everyone on amfone of such actions. Having dealt with other forums and email reflectors, I know how much grief a seemingly small thing like this can end up causing to the admins.

As far as anyone speaking for you, your first post was not until the near bottom of the second page, long after the invite had been extended, long after many of the earlier posters had expressed interest in Wayne, and long after much discourse had been exchanged.

Well, I was away at Dayton and didn't see the entire thread until today. You're right - I worded my response poorly. What I meant to say was that I was surprised that you'd take it upon yourself to speak for all of amfone by inviting someone here without first knowing more about their anti-AM history. What concerned me was the way you went from saying in your earlier post "This is what I said to Wayne" to implying that anyone who disagreed was being disrespectful when you later said "...we invited him". "We" didn't, "many" didn't, and it seemed out of character for someone who pays attention to details to be making such out of sync proclamations.

Glad to see that you and I appear to be the only two left discussing all of this. Hopefully my corrections here will clear this all up and put any misgivings others may be having about the direction of this thread to rest.

W1UJR:
Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ on May 21, 2007, 06:39:50 PM

Hopefully my corrections here will clear this all up and put any misgivings others may be having about the direction of this thread to rest.

I think you did just that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands