Gonset G-50

<< < (22/22)

WA1LGQ:
Concerning adding the push-pull transformer, what might be the impedance that is needed, or maybe it doesn't matter that much. I'm not sure how impedance should be calculated in that configuration.
Thanks...........Larry

KD1SH:
 Hi, Larry,
   There are people here far more knowledgeable than my humble self, but my take is that since a Heising configuration - center tapped or otherwise - doesn't offer any impedance transformation between the modulator and the plate circuit, it's not something we'd have to worry about with this mod.  The Hammond 1645 that I'm going to be using for my G-50 has a 5K ohm primary, center tapped, so you'd have 2.5K on either side of the tap.  The secondary has taps for 4, 8, and 16 ohms, so it'll match your speaker.
    As a side note, at the recent Sussex hamfest I picked up a nice Clegg 99'er, and my friend picked up beautiful little Utica 650.  At the time I didn't know much about the workings of either rig, but a check of the schematics revealed that both rigs use the very same modulation scheme we're talking about using in our Gonset mod: a center tapped Heising choke.  I'm in the midst of a two-part vacation, so I haven't had time to play with my 99'er, but I'm looking forward to finding out how that modulation scheme sounds, and I really can't wait to hear my friend's Utica 650 on the air - that is one sweet looking little rig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands