Fichten Field Day SDR Receiver (FiFi SDR)

Pages: (1/4) > >>

W1AEX:

I purchased one of these little German SDR receivers for $169 bucks (including shipping via USPS) online at the Box73.com website on February 4, 2014. It landed here less than 3 weeks later and after a little painless soldering, installation of some USB drivers, and installation of a couple of free SDR software packages it’s been nothing but great fun tuning around with it. For anyone interested in an inexpensive, easy to build, easy to use SDR kit that performs far better than a toy, this is one that I would definitely recommend. Here’s a quick somewhat subjective PRO and CON list based upon information I have collected and what I have observed while using it:

PROS:

-Price vs. performance is great with shipping included in the $169 price
-Tiny size with a high quality extruded aluminum enclosure
-Very high quality pc board construction.
-All surface mount devices are pre-installed leaving simple soldering tasks for the builder
-Onboard soundcard capable of 192KHz sampling rate for full 192KHz panadapter display
-Software automatic band switching pre-selector bandpass board included
-USB driver support for PC (Windows 8 back to Windows XP) Linux, and Mac
-USB cable provides power and connection for software control, just plug in an antenna and it’s ready
-Based upon the Silicon Labs Si570 software controlled VCO
-Covers 200 KHz to 30 MHz continuous
-Compatible with freeware and shareware SDR software including Radio Jet, SDR-Console, and Genesis GSDR which is a PowerSDR variant.
-The Radio Jet SDR software provides native access to DRM (without DREAM)
-Simon Brown's SDR Console Version 2.1 software provides you with really exquisite synchronous detection and you can make custom RX filters
-Easily used as an IF receiver with another rig or a boatanchor receiver for spectrum display
-Can be frequency calibrated through an automatic software controlled routine.
-While it is not lab quality, it can double as an inexpensive spectrum display for your bench

CONS:

-As with many SDR receivers, depending on your location and antenna it can be susceptible to overload. Easy to deal with using a simple attenuator pad or an antenna tuner
-As with many SDR receivers, birdies can be seen here and there across the spectrum, especially with the antenna disconnected
-Some aliasing evident at the extreme ends of the panadapter display when viewing 192KHz of the radio spectrum
-User must provide their own USB 2.0 A Male to 5pin mini-B Male cable. I'd suggest one that has a ferrite core to keep USB bus noise out.

Lots more information, links, photos, and some HD videos of my Fichten Field Day SDR receiver running AM and synchronous AM along with other modes can be found here:

http://www.w1aex.com/fifisdr/fifisdr.html

In summary, this is far more than a toy and definitely gives a lot of bang for your buck if you are interested in a software defined radio receiver.  

Rob W1AEX

W7NGA:

Thanks Rob, for taking the time to enumerate the features and help set expectations.

I'm hoping my FiFi arrives today and I will share my observations as well.

dan W7NGA

W7NGA:

just a brief note to exclaim my enthusiasm for this little FiFi jewel. it takes a bit of effort to get all the pieces (drivers, software, calibration) talking nice to each other, but I have finally found the secret-sauce and am having a blast. setting up "favourites" or bookmarks, with a click of the mouse I can quickly scan for 10-meter AM activity, and then click again and I am right back on 15-meters listening to TimTron.

should you decide to take the plunge .. don't hesitate to ask for help and the recipe.

thanks to Rob, W1AEX for all the suggestions and motivation to enter the SDR fold ..

73's

dan W7NGA

W1AEX:

Glad you are having fun with the little FiFi SDR Dan. You've described the setup experience well as depending on what operating system is being used it can be a bit of an adventure. But as you said, it excels as a bandwatch receiver using Simon's SDR Console V2.x when you have the Favorites set up for that task. The fidelity is a treat as well if the computer it is used with has a nice sound system. It's definitely the receiver of choice here when I'm busy at the workbench. At any rate, we'll have to exchange thoughts on some of the other software that is out there as we come across it!

Rob

N2DTS:

There is a boatload of software out there, as well as sdr receivers.
Even the low end ones seem to work better then most vintage or new ham receivers.
Besides the displays, the filters and sound quality can be fantastic.

Lots of programs and versions of programs to run with various radios, there is something for everyone's taste.

Pages: (1/4) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands