32V-2 no grid current - how to troubleshoot

<< < (4/4)

KJ4OLL:
Tom,
Thanks for the advice, but I'm done w/ the 32V-2.
I don't have the patience for something like this.
Frank

w1vtp:
Quote from: KJ4OLL on October 26, 2017, 07:55:42 PM

I tested all the tubes, except for the 4D32, as my TV-10 is acting up.
The 6AK6 was OK, but I can swap in another.
However, I might have found a different clue.
Put a tube socket extender in V101 and V102.
Followed the instructions on the voltage chart, except for the "Measure with a Volt-ohmist"
Don't have one of those, so the HP 410C was used.
None of the voltages on the chart show up on the test pins.
For example for V101 the plate is supposed to be 235, I measure 155.

As for the VR tube in the back, it lights up when I key the rig.

Communicated with Howard Mills, who said "bring it by".
I'm not sure if it is better to just buy another 32V-2 or see if Howard can fix mine.

I really would rather check in to the AM nets w/ a boatanchor, rather than use the Flex.
If I just buy another 32V-2 every time there is a serious technical problem that is beyond my abilities, I will end up with a pile'o 32V-2's
(Possibly I can stack them and make a really cool fort. )
Or
I can try to procure a redundant AM transmitter, and possibly it will be easier for me to fix.
This is on the shelf now at a local surplus place:

If Howard Mills says "bring it by" that is your very best option. It WILL get fixed.  Buying another 32V has less of a chance of ending up with success. I hope you will go for the Howard Mills option. It deserves a chance for rescue.

Just sayin'

w1vtp:
Quote from: KA2DZT on October 27, 2017, 01:24:30 AM

You're confusing us,  you got no voltage readings at the pins or you got readings that were not what they are suppose to be.  You can measure the voltages with a $20 DVM.  A volt-ohmist is a RCA VTVM.  I have one never use it.  The pins on those test sockets should be numbered.  I have a lot of them but can't remember if they're numbered.  Anyway, from the gap in pins,  the numbers run CCW.  You probably now this but I thought I'd mention it.

The HP 410C, I thought was an AC only meter.  I have an earlier version that I think is just AC.  Rarely ever use it.

Not usual for voltages to be off from chart readings that were made up 60 years ago.  The readings were recorded with switches and controls in certain positions.  You have to have every setting the same.

Although,  the readings can be off somewhat but not out by great amounts.

You have no grid drive so you're looking for something that is not working at all.  Voltages that are off, even by 25%, are not the problem.

Fred

You have no grid drive so you're looking for something that is not working at all.  Voltages that are off, even by 25%, are not the problem.

Fred
[/quote]

Fred

The HP 410c is also a DC meter. . It's a nice meter. I used to fix them

http://www.hparchive.com/Manuals/HP-410C-Manual-sn-311-328-339-433-532-550-807.pdf

WB6NVH:
Just to muddy the water, in my case I had some shorted mica capacitors in that hard to access area around the bandswitch (I think that is where they were.)  The beige colored ones with the postage stamp style and the dots on them.

In any case, it is usually frustrating to try to guess at a repair by throwing parts at the problem, which is something I have to tell myself to avoid even after 50 years of working on this stuff.  There needs to be an orderly troubleshooting procedure.  Some voltage and RF measurements should show where the issue is.  Like everyone else has mentioned, the 32V's are not easy to work on but worth the effort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands