Wilcox 99A

(1/2) > >>

k7yoo:
I see that Todd is moving out his 99A--It amazes me how much "round tuit" stuff is starting to see daylight!!. If anyone is interested I ran one of these critters for several years in its stock form and it is about the same power level as a BC 610 or GK 500. The unique part is that (depending on the accessories) it was capable of transmitting on three different bands simultaneously. The power supply will do 2500V at around 2 amps with a brick on the key. The modulator(s) uses a pair of triode connected 813's and the transmitter could support 2 modulators. Often these were set up with one voice channel and 3 RTTY channels. Any 3 could be run at once. The PA tubes were 250TL's but most were converted to 250TH's. The driver is an 813.  This transmitter is the "baby brother" to the Wilcox 96 that used a similar concept with PP 450TL/TH tubes in the modulator and PA--good for about 3KW. Many of these were set up for remote operation with an elaborate "analog computer" relay switching scheme that will give you hours of entertainment, until you finally break out the clip leads! This is one HD xmitter-just make sure your floor is sturdy!
Skip

Steve - WB3HUZ:
Interesting. I used to have some pieces-part of a similar system made for commercial use (FAA related) made by Bendix. Had three RF decks for the same freq ranges as Todd's Wilcox unit, single modulator deck (two 811s) and a single power supply deck. I had the modulator deck and the VHF Rf deck which was push-pull HK54s. The LF and HF RF decks used two 811s in push-pull. Nice stuff.

w3jn:
I had (have?) a spare 2X813 mod deck for this radio.  It's a nice, compact design with the fil xformer on the mod deck (mod tranny is mounted elsewhere). 

Todd if your mod deck is incomplete lemme know and I'll look around to see if I still have it.

I had a front panel for it also but I donated it to someone on the forum who was restoring one.  Can't remember who though...

Opcom:
If the schematic were available for the looking, it might provide an edjumication about the use of multiple modulators and one PA.

WBear2GCR:
W'all I'll be hawg tied!

I've had a really nice Wilcox exciter deck sitting around here for at least two decades - it be chock full of really nice parts and counters. Very very well made. Never knew what it came out of... Now I know.

I guarantee that if I had the way to get it here and the $$ I'd jump all over that rig!

I think I pulled a single 838 or 805 out of mine... yeah odd that it would be there, but I'm 98% sure that's what came out of the hole...

Thanks for solving this mystery at last!  ;D ;D

_-_-Wombat Beastie Two Giant Cockroach Radiator

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands