Cleaning and Restoring Black Wrinkle

Pages: << < (2/6) > >>

Jim, W5JO:

By the way, be sure that any cleaner you use does not contain silicone.  If it does and you ever wish to paint the cabinet, it will cause the paint to dimple, even years later.

wavebourn:

I bought yesterday a wrinkle paint spray in Harley Davidson's parts store, will post results here...

w3jn:

Tolly, Harley Davidson black wrinkle is the BEST I've found.  Helps if the part you're painting is somewhat warm, helps even more if you can put it in the oven and bake at 150 dgrees or so for an hour.

73 John

k4kyv:

The problem I have found with the Harley wrinkle paint is that the texture is too fine, and seems almost flat - somewhat like the finish on the 75A4 and other Collins products.  I prefer a coarser texture, with more gloss.

I have noticed that old gear, pre WW2, has a characteristic that is lacking in modern wrinkle finishes.  It is less uniform,  the wrinkles are coarser, and it has a grainy appearance, somewhat similar to the grainy appearance you often see on galvanised sheet metal.  A good example of what I am talking about is the black wrinkle finish on early National receivers, oscilloscopes, speakers, and other pre-WW2 National Radio products.  Modern wrinkle  finish is almost perfectly uniform, to the point of being boring.  

If the grainy effect was achievable in the 1920's and 1930's, certainly it would be possible to reproduce today, if someone who remembers the technique were just still around.

wavebourn:

Quote from: w3jn
--
Tolly, Harley Davidson black wrinkle is the BEST I've found.  Helps if the part you're painting is somewhat warm, helps even more if you can put it in the oven and bake at 150 dgrees or so for an hour.

73 John
--

Thanks John, I remember that your post about temperature, stove and wife, and will try a bit later; now I am busy with a guitar amp I am building from PA amplifier, and looking for a way to put perfect looking lettering on it.
http://wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7302#7302

Pages: << < (2/6) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands