Cleaning and Restoring Black Wrinkle

Pages: (1/6) > >>

w3jn:

Here's a quick, easy, and effective restoration method for a black wrinkle cabinet, front panel, or what have you that is dull and marred but not extremely rusty or chipped.

Clean the item using Westley's White Wall Cleaner, a stiff brush (a toothbrush works well), and plenty of water.  Let it dry completely.  The item will be clean but the paint will be still be dull.

Get some matte (semi-gloss) black spray paint, some thinner, and a lint-free rag.  If the item is in good shape but the paint is just a bit dull, dampen the rag with thinner first.  Then spray a liberaly amount of paint into the rag, and rub into the item as you would be waxing a car - circular motions.  If the item is pretty bad, use full-strength paint.  

This method will cover small scratches, mars, small rust pocks, etc.  I recommend you fill in large chips or scratches with black paint before doing this.  Most of the time you can just go right over lettering, etc.  If the paint does cover it up a bit, you're probably using too much paint - just rub with some thinner and it'll take it right off.

This will make the item look like brandy-new - without having to repaint the whole thing!

Todd, KA1KAQ:

That's a clever idea, John - I'll have to try that. Makes sense that it would work for light scuffs and scratches, never thought about anything other than repainting, myself. What an excellent alternative for the 'saveable' finish.

Have you tried the 'WD-40' approach for bringing a good but dull wrinkle finish back to life? I've yet to myself, but have heard of others who had great success, and long term as well. In the past I've used lemon oil after a good cleaning, and it really makes the wrinkle come alive. I thought it perhaps replaced missing oils in the paint as well, but the shine always seems to be gone within a few months. Users of the WD-40 method claim it lasts for years and the smell goes away in a few days.

w3jn:

Todd, no I haven't.  I didn't like the idea of the "wet" finish attracting dust.  I once used Armor-all on the dashboard of my car and it attracted all kinds of dust and dirt, so I'm kinda suspicious of anything that tends to stay damp.

73 John

Jim, W5JO:

Those who have a power sprayer can put some soap in the container and spray the cabinet with it.  Just don't get too close to the paint to lift any edges up and strip it.

No power sprayer, go to a car wash the soap is perfect and you can rinse while there.  Again, don't get too close.

Todd, KA1KAQ:

Supposedly the WD-40 slicky film evaporates rather quickly and even the smell is gone within a couple of days or so. I have some WWII aircraft gear I plan to clean up soon, so I'll try it on a piece and post my results here.

Never liked the ArmorAll approach - it doesn't last long enough and it also removes your ability to touch up chips or scratches afterwards without stripping the cabinet. Better make sure it's just the way you want it before using that stuff.

~ Todd

Pages: (1/6) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands