Old transmitter Rescued from the Scrapyard

(1/4) > >>

KD2AZI:
I got a call from a friend about this, and long story short, I met some 20-year-old kid at a scrapyard in Camden, NJ at 7:00 a.m.  His side-hustle is paying more for than the yard would for stuff that scrappers bring in, then selling stuff online.  He didn't know what this was, but he knew enough.  It was feet from being shredded :)

The scrapper started to pull the transformers apart, and I looked around and luckily found all the pieces.  Copper tank coil was of course gone.

It's interesting, has two large power supplies, modulator, and what looks like a high-frequency amplifier with a 3E29.  Then the finals are 2x813.  It's in really good shape-just dust everywhere.  Now I want to know who built it!  It looks like 40's construction with some 30's parts.

Could the 3E29 amplifier be for 6m?

W2PFY:
The 3E29 tube is your IPA or intermediate power amplifier that drives your push pull 813 tubes. It looks link coupled throughout so to make it work you would need to acquire coils for all the bands you are interested in.  There are too many plates on the variable cap for it to work on six meters efficiently if it would work at all? What is on the deck second from the bottom? (Picture please)

You have everything there to restore that rig if you want to get into changing coils for each band? If it's not for you, maybe you could find and interested party that will actually make it work rather than tear it apart for parts. That would be a real shame!! If I were younger, I would restore it.

The high voltage power supply would probably be 1500 to 2300 volts judging from the era.

Best of luck....Terry

WZ1M:
3rd picture down you can see where the coil plugs in.
Regards,
Gary

WD5JKO:
Wow, what a find.

Relating to the output coil assembly, looks like a B&W HDVL Output Tank and B&W JVL Grid Tank.

See text and images here:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=9518.0

Another good resource:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=20517.0

I like that the OM who built this decided to recess mount the panel mater(s) on the RF deck, and cover with a chassis grounded metal screen. Back then it was common to place the plate current meter on the B+ side. With B+ on this created a huge safety hazard. Imagine setting the meter zero adjust with a metal screwdriver.....The OM must have been nailed once or twice, and decided to fix that issue once and for all. Back then it was more common to just "don't do that"! The Heathkit Chippewa Amplifier had the plate meter on the B+ side...a 1960's design, with 3400v B+!

One of the photos may be the modulator deck. If so, that will give you an idea of the RF power, and B+ this thing ran. Those tubes paired up could be 45's, 2A3's, 6A3's, or 6B4's as an audio driver, and perhaps TZ40's as the modulator. If so, I figure about 1250V B+ and 200W DC input to the RF stage. If there are separate, and larger modulator tubes, then go from there.

Did those transformers shown separately come from this rig? Heck, Gary, Wz1M could rewind them from the rocking chair!  :P

Would be interesting to see if you can find the history of this rig. Perhaps a family member is still around. Might find that somebody's grandpa built it and used this rig to pass traffic during a critical time or event. This rig could have been on the air before WW2 began.

Jim
Wd5JKO

AG5UM:
Thank you !! for saving that wonderfull piece of transmitter history, It looks so original, very cool.
what an interesting history it must have. Fantastic find !!
It's beautifull, Thank you for saving it, and sharing the pictures with us.
AG5UM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands