Easy RF Shielding for Plastic Cases

(1/2) > >>

WA2SQQ:
Sometimes we build something and place it in a small plastic case, only later to discover that it’s effected by RF. I recently discovered that my RSP1 SDR receiver’s plastic case presented the same problem. Some users have opted to purchase aftermarket aluminum cases to address this deficiency.
I decided to fix it using a simpler method, one that could maintain the original appearance. After disassembling the case I laid down two strips of an adhesive backed copper foil (one on each half) that I use for my stained-glass work. After carefully masking the case half’s I sprayed the case’s interior with two coats of an RFI conductive shielding spray made by Miller Stephenson. The spray coats the copper foils, connects with the USB connector, and electrically bonds the entire assembly. After it dried, I powered up the RSP1 and monitored the noise. While closing the case you can literally see the noise diminish. Visually, you’d never know it was modified!

https://www.miller-stephenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/MS-487G.pdf

WB2EMS:
I'd like to try that. Where did you get the MS spray?

Opcom:
They don't list their dealers or I could not find them. I was looking for that kind of thing as well but did not find. I think that's an urgent matter in need of investigation.

WA9NQW:
When I worked for Motorola in the early 70s, we tamed the gremlins in the UHF HT-220 with silver conductive paint in the interior of the plastic case. We had to put a layer of insulating paint on top of that as well. It did work well and was not required for the VHF models.

Jack

WA2SQQ:
So they only sell direct.
I actually needed some for a work project so I called them to see if I might be able to get a sample.
Next day, I had it! I guess the company name helps ;-).
They are in CT. This is the 3rd project I've used it on, and its never let me down. 2-3 light coats - dries to a satin dark gray finish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands