Bias mystery solved

(1/2) > >>

N3DRB The Derb:
I could never get Yeasu #1 to throw down enough bias on the cheep tubes. I had to crank the pot to the stop to even get 40 ma, much less 60. I knew this was trouble brewing so when I went in there to put the AM filter board in place I decided to do some snooping. I'd rather replace crap before it burns up.

here are the culprits. The real offender is the little guy on the left. It claims it's a capacitor, but it's more like a 140K resistor with a chip on it's shoulder. When you see rubber bulging out of the bottom so bad that the cap cant touch the board it's soldered to, time to play change dat cap.

So putting in a major cap order now to put in some stock for repairs on both #1 and #2. Anyone got any favorite sources for radial lytics in the 250 volt range? I'm gonna buy about 20 of them. 

w3jn:
I gots a bunch, I can send 'em to you

N3DRB The Derb:
too late, already ordered em offa ebay  ;D

Hey, what are those black disks you sent me? I cant remember for the life of me what they are for.  ??? ::) I only remember something about 1 ohm cold or something like that. 

WD8BIL:
Damn ur gud Derb !

w3jn:
Negative temp coefficient thermister.  They're good inrush current limiters.  1 ohm cold then when they heat up they're like .01 ohms.  They get hot so mount 'em somehwere they're not gonna melt anything.  I got a box of 'em and thought they'd be good for your leenyar.  Those are good for about 20 amps IIRC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands