Question regarding an early Johnson Ranger

(1/2) > >>

N4JOY:
I recently purchased a Johnson Ranger and am presently going through the schematics -- it appears to be an "early" version as it so far corresponds to the early schematic listed on Bama.  The unit is in original condition with no mods (outside a PTT switch added on the chasis).   My first step will be replacing the original  electrolytics, any out of tolerance resistors, and cleaning out 1lb of cat hair!

Near the function switch, there is a .02uf capacitor (C76) and a carbon resistor (R34) in series.  I believe R34 should be 2.2K ohms (the color bands are worn); the resistor is open and needs replacing.  The "early" schematic indicates R34 should be 220 ohms.  It appears to be original, but I'm not entirely sure.  Is the schematic correct? 

Pete, WA2CWA:
My early version schematic and parts list indicate R34 is 220 ohms. In the later version schematic, that RC network (.02 uf cap. and 220 ohm resistor) is not used.

N4JOY:
Thank you for the quick reply!  I swear it looks like red-red-red (2.2K ohms), but I guess the 3rd band should be brown.   I'll go with 220 ohms according to the schematic.

Also, what are the primary differences between the early and later versions of the Ranger?

Pete, WA2CWA:
Keyer and bias circuitry were integrated into the circuitry. There were also component and wiring changes made. No visible changes to the front panel.

Pete, WA2CWA:
Original Ranger schematic, the first one (or at least the one I have), is dated Jan. 1954. The schematic had a revision 11/5/54 and another in 10/17/57. The November 1954 revision included the keyer and bias circuitry integration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands