B&W Swinging Link Coils

(1/1)

W3SLK:
Instead of resurrecting the older thread, I followed the advice of this BB and decided upon a new thread. The information from the 2007 thread was a boon of information: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=9518.0
There is a lot of information in the 1941 ARRgghhL Handbook especially the B&W ad for the coils, complete with diameter, inductance and wire gauge used for each coil. However, a picture speaks a thousand words. I know they are rarer than hen's teeth, but does anyone have a good photo of an 160M HDVL coil? I have several good 80M HDVL coils, but I would like to see if I can compose a 160M jobber.
On a separate note, while working on a HP-606A signal gen, I found I had to repair T212 in the amplifier section of the turret. When I sought out some guidance about this on the HP@groups.io forum, a former HP employee told me that to make Q-dope all one has to do is dissolve styrofoam in MEK. In the thread from 2007, I used acetone and acrylic, (which is still holding up after 25+ years. But having just purchased a small bottle of commercially available Q-dope, I can attest it is MEK based. So, I will use that along with some acrylic strips to fix some of my coils that fell victim to that damn hygroscopic acetate junk that B&W and BUD used in assembling their coils.

KL7OF:
The B and W ad give specs for the band coils....that is useful....But, I have a question about the swinging link coil...   the ads show the same 3 turn swinging link used with all the coils?  I have a PP 100th rig that I used' on 20M for years with the 3 turn coil.  I changed to 10 meters and the output power dropped considerably...   I changed the link coil to a smaller diameter 2 turn and the power came up quite a bit , but there should be more.  I'm interested in specs for swinging links that are optimum for the band in use.  Is there a formula to calculate the value for the swing coil???  So far I've  used cut and try....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands