eBay Insane Fees

(1/3) > >>

n8fvj:
A few years back ebay selling fees were 8%. Now, 21%. Insane.

KA3EKH:
I always try selling on line and on list servers first. Then at Ham Fest although they are getting to be further and further between and as a lost resort do the eBay thing. Everyone sells as “Buy it now” these days and you have to be mindful of adding additional amounts to cover the huge bite they take out of your money, then dealing with shipping has now days become stupid expensive. Also, some of the buyers on the bay can be a huge pain. But, at the end of the day sometimes it’s the only wheel in town and it is a big wheel.

WA2SQQ:
I’m done selling on EBAY.First they wanted social security number, now ridiculous fees. Thanks,but no thanks

Opcom:
Yep. Sad but they've put the sellers' noses to the grindstone until the sparks fly, placing on their backs ebay's own risk/load. The seller is always wrong. The buyer is always right. Buyer fraud is out of control, because to ebay it's the buyers who bring in the sales, and so to avoid discouraging any buyers at all, the seller is unethically forced to absorb the cost of buyer fraud and failures.

When ebay fumbles up due to abominable customer service and incompetence, and 'accidentally' steal from your bank account or allow a hacker to obtain your private and company information, they make the member account responsible for everything; ebay terms allow them to flee their just punishment and recompense, like a cockroach caught in the light, or like a big nasty rat which flashes across a kitchen counter into hiding upon hearing a human footstep.

It's no different than many other businesses. It's all about the mechanism, the process, discussed in executive board rooms and legal departments, that allows them to operate a rapine system with neither consequences nor a thought for the accommodation of rational human behavior and expectations.

Ebay terms are no different than many other corporate terms, but their idiot-grade execution leaves fewer and fewer beans on the table and substites seller risk instead. They do it because they can.

Or is that unfair?

Pete, WA2CWA:
Quote from: Opcom on March 14, 2024, 04:39:50 PM

Or is that unfair?

Depends on who you ask.
Ebay isn't the only game in town for selling or buying things.

I haven't bought or sold stuff on Ebay in over 10+ years and I'm not hurting for stuff.

I buy and sell at the local hamfests and swap meets; it helps the local economy; and I get to touch, feel, and see in real time what I'm buying.

Living in a metro area, generally from April through September, there are hamfests and swap meets at least one per weekend within a 100 miles or less.
Obviously, living in the middle of no where land, there probably :D would be less.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands