"West Coast" Handbook editions

(1/4) > >>

KD1SH:
  Anyone have the 13th or 14th editions of the "West Coast" Radio Handbook? I'm just curious about the authorship of those editions. My bookshelf is honored to hold the 15th through 23rd editions, with Bill Orr credited as author, and I'm thinking that the 14th edition was also authored by Orr, while the 13th and all previous editions were credited to "Editors and Engineers" only.
  My oldest is the 9th edition, copyrighted 1942; authored by "Editors and Engineers." I believe the final edition was the 23rd, copyrighted 1997. Orr went silent key in 2001, so it's unlikely that there was ever a 24th edition. I treasure all of them, but most of all the Orr editions.

w9jsw:
13th is not listing Orr as the editor...

https://archive.org/details/radiohandbook13t00unse/mode/2up

Could not find a 14th with a west coast publisher.

John

ae7db:
I have a copy of the Fourteenth Edition.  It lists "William I. Orr, W6SAI" as the editor.  The Thirteenth does not mention him on the title page, so I guess the Fourteenth was his first effort.  Also, I see that Editors and Engineers had apparently moved a short distance between those editions, from Kenwood Road in Santa Barbara to Summer Land (just to the south as I recall).

Dean

ae7db:
Out of curiosity, I examined the other early copies that I have. 

The Fifth Edition is credited to "The Editors of 'Radio'", and lists W.W. Smith as Editor-in-Chief, with seven others listed (including Frank C. Jones and Ray L. Dawley).  The publisher was "Radio, Ltd" with a Los Angeles address.

The Sixth Edition is credited the same way as the Fifth, but the publisher had relocated to Santa Barbara.

The Eighth Edition is still credited to "The Editors of 'Radio'" but lists W.W. Smith as Editorial Director and Ray L. Dawley as Editor, with six others listed (not including Frank C. Jones, who I guess had moved on by then). The publisher name had changed to Editors and Engineers, but with the same address in Santa Barbara as listed in the Sixth Edition.

Dean

w8khk:
My ninth edition, copyright 1942, shows the address of Editors and Engineers moving from 1300 Kenwood Road, Santa Barbara, to 1422 Highland Ave, Los Angeles.

Rather than a single editor, it is "Compiled and revised from previous material", originally prepared by 12 authors, including W. W. Smith, R. L. Dawley, and R. C. Jones.

On my tenth edition, copyright 1946, the address and list of editors is unchanged from edition nine.

Eleventh edition, copyright 1947, they have moved back to 1300 Kenwood Road, Santa Barbara.   R. L. Dawley is the editor, with four associates and five  assistants/contributors.

Twelfth edition copyright 1949, same address, Editor Dawley, and four associates:  W. W. Smith, Gordon M. Kingman, George H. Catlin, and R. A. Ontiveros.

Thirteenth edition, copyright 1951, same address, Dawley editor, with Smith and Ontiveros as associates.  Only $6.00 way back then!

So Orr apparently took the reins at the fourteenth, and was not previously listed as a contributor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands