Have you seen my radio tower?

(1/4) > >>

W1RKW:
Thieves swipe 200 foot radio tower.  I thought I've seen it all. 
https://nypost.com/2024/02/07/news/radio-station-baffled-after-200-foot-radio-tower-disappears/

WA2SQQ:
I saw this on the news this morning.

AJ1G:
I just heard about this, not surprised it’s already been posted here.  I predict they will found along with some missing Deerfield Fairgronds pole pigs😁

Bob good to see a post from
You.still working? Can’t believe I’m closing in on 5 years retired this year.

W1RKW:
Hi Chris,
Still kicking. hope all is well with you and yours.  Yes, still working. Over in New London now and I don't really like it. I miss the hustle and bustle across the river but I'll put up with it for a short while. I'm retiring in 8 months and looking forward to it.

K8DI:
I think there’s more to this.

The AM in question has an FM translator, which they immediately asked the FCC if they could continue simulcasting on and were denied.  My bet is the AM was ignored, possibly (illegally) dark, and they ran the translator as if it was their only station….  There’s no way some thieves came there, emptied the building, cut down and then cut up the tower, overnight, with no one noticing.  It would take a large crew, involve portable lighting and flatbed semis, plasma cutters on noisy generators, a crane.  It fell, they left it, someone stole the scrap seems more plausible.

But now that it’s reported, the station is stuck with replacing it…and I’m kinda glad.  Ignored AM signals in favour of FM translators plague the industry and contribute to AM’s demise…even though we’re hams, there’s a bit of a kinship, and more than a few of us worked in broadcast or use broadcast equipment or parts.

Ever and always the cynic,
Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands