Strange Digital Telemetry on 1944.5 anyone else?

Pages: (1/5) > >>

KB1VWC:

I am receiving a strange Digital telemetry signal both day and night on 1944.5. This started about 3-4 months ago and I assumed it was just something strange and local to my QTH. This started the usual unplugging everything and using a battery powered receiver, but the signal still persisted.  Trying to use a loop antenna proves quite difficult as the signal is very quick and intermittent. Typically about 10-20 over nine signal. This is really messing up both the grey-haired net and the AWA sideband net. I can use Sync upper sideband for am detection, but many times QRM is preventing this.

Last Night on the AWA net, Joe W3GMS also mentioned and played this exact noise/interference at his QTH. My question is how many others can hear this noise and does anyone else know what this is?  I am guessing some form of maratime bouy giving my location close to the south coast of Cape Cod. I think trying to TDOA or triangulate this thing would be difficult.  Attached are wave files and a screen shot taken around 7:40AM DST. It's definitely louder and more annoying at night.

Thanks

Steve   
KB1VWC

W3SLK:

What I heard on 160 and on 75 to some degree was that like a wooden ship 'groaning'. It would come and go like a wave. If I hear it again I will try to make an recording with my cell phone.

w9jsw:

I see it here in So. Illinois. Around S5-7. So I don't think it is maritime related in just your east coast area. I thought it was a spur from my switching PS. Observed at 1:30pm CDT.

John

N1BCG:

Steve, your Kiwi receiver was the only one of over two dozen I tried that had any meaningful reception of the signal last night. Coastal and inland U.S., Canada, and Europe were included so TDoA won't be practical unless the signal level increases. It took a lot of filtering to hear it on an analog receiver is SW Connecticut. A 1 Watt transmission matched the strength and frequency on 1944.40 kHz although there was QSB while the mystery signal had none.

The fact that you can hear it 24/7 is meaningful. Perhaps it's coming from Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. I'll take a listen the next time I'm out that way.

N1BCG:

Quote from: w9jsw on March 15, 2023, 02:37:55 PM
--
I see it here in So. Illinois. Around S5-7.
--

Wow!  I'll try some Kiwis in that area. Interesting, thanks!

Pages: (1/5) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands