Ballast transformer secondary as a reactor for an unregulated power supply

(1/2) > >>

ka1tdq:
I'm building an unregulated power supply using a transformer as a voltage doubler.  The power transformer has a secondary of 45 volts at 17 amps.  I'd like to limit the current inrush during power up and I happen to have a really big ballast transformer (see picture).

Could I use the secondary of the ballast transformer as an inductive filter for the power supply?  Resistance starts out at around 2 ohms and settles down to 0.3 ohms.

Jon

DMOD:
If you are going to draw more than about 5 amps in your power supply it wont cut it.

Did you measure the inductance of the secondary?

Phil

ka1tdq:
It would at times draw more than 5 amps, so, yeah...

I didn't measure the inductance since I don't have a meter.  I need to invest in one since they're pretty cheap.

I'll just use some sort of timed soft start circuit.  I'm going to Vegas again for a couple days (I know, weird), so I'll think of something.  I'm taking the laptop this time.  No evil, scary books and calculators.

Jon

Opcom:
cheap inductance checker.

will it make a difference if the inductor saturates at >5A as long as the windings don't overheat? It'll already have done its job? I don't know your circuit.

ka1tdq:
Excuse the napkin, it’s the only paper at the moment.

True about the saturation. I only need inductive resistance for a few seconds. The coil windings are big enough to handle the current.

Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands