NACA's ECHO 1 TV Satellite

<< < (2/4) > >>

W2DU:
I was just very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time, the earliest beginning of the space age. Getting involved at that time was exhilarating, fun and challenging on every project I was associated with.

If there is interest there, I'd like to tell the strange route taken in coming up with the World's first weather satellite, TIROS 1, (Television Infra Red Observation Satellite.) My assignment on that project was the development of the entire antenna array, which radiated circular polarization from four transmitters operating simultaneously on four different frequencies.

Walt

W2XR:
Quote from: W2DU on January 05, 2011, 08:06:19 PM

I was just very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time, the earliest beginning of the space age. Getting involved at that time was exhilarating, fun and challenging on every project I was associated with.

If there is interest there, I'd like to tell the strange route taken in coming up with the World's first weather satellite, TIROS 1, (Television Infra Red Observation Satellite.) My assignment on that project was the development of the entire antenna array, which radiated circular polarization from four transmitters operating simultaneously on four different frequencies.

Walt

Yes, TIROS-1 was the hatbox-shaped weather satellite, as I recall, studded with solar cells. RCA promoted it heavily in commercials when they sponsored Walt Disneys "Wonderful World of Color" television program in the early 1960s.

Bruce

W2DU:
Thank you Bruce, for those nice words. As I said earlier, I'm just one lucky guy!

Walt

w3jn:
Walt, there's ALWAYS interest here for ANY of your stories!!!

Thanks much for sharing.

WA1GFZ:
That's a fact Bruce and John.
It is an honor to even hear your stories and know you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands