Suggestions Modern Gen Coverage Rcvr

(1/4) > >>

Carl WA1KPD:
I am considering adding a general coverage receiver to the boat anchor station. The criteria is as follows

Gen Coverage .55- 30 MHz
Good AM with filtering as well as SSB/CW with product detector
Good construction and technology.
Prefer a smaller footprint, but will consider a larger size.
Would prefer Sandstate but am open to a good tube unit. something like an R4B if it had better AM reception and continuous coverage.
Need not be built by a ham supplier.
Any thoughts?

KD1SH:
  Just a thought—some might object to tying their radio activities to a computer—(and I get that) but a few years ago I went over to the dark-side and started using an SdrPlay unit, the RSPDX, and I love it. It's about 3.5" X 3.5" square, and I've got mine stuck to the wall with Velcro tape. Using the SdrUno software, I can do things with it that are otherwise impossible with the typical stand-alone receiver, allowing me to keep operating in the face of hardships like deliberate jamming and heavy adjacent spatter, which would have me simply turning off my old HQ-170 and giving up.
  It admittedly lacks the charm of an HQ-170, SP-600, or R-390—in fact it has no charm whatsoever; it's a soulless little black box—but it's a powerful little thing that pretty much goes everywhere and does everything, and it's quite cheap.
  I know—I totally get all the objections; I'm a hollow-state guy, but don't underestimate the power of the dark-side.

Carl WA1KPD:
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the suggestion. I had an SDR-IQ about 10 years ago and loved it. Ultimately I ended up moving to a Flex 5000 and then a 6400. I do have an RSP which is set up as my WSPR receiver 24/7 that reports up to PSK reportere. But it is not working now.

So I am comfortable with the radio and set up.

Anyway, I want to free up some space on the AM side of the shack and have decided to sell my TMC GPR 90. I want to replace it with a smaller receiver that will do a good job on AM and SSB to run with my CE 20A.

I am starting to think about a JRC as they seem to have good reviews, but am hoping to get some real world feedback.

73 and see you at NF. No power supplies for sale this trip.

KD6VXI:
I got an Icom receiver from another member here who had a fire in his shack (Clark, BCG).

I ended up having to resolder the power connection. It worked loose.

It stinks!  Still, and I've had it almost 3 years!

But, it still works well.  I'm a believer.

Have multiple SDR, a ts850, 440 and a FT101 here.  The Icom holds its own.

The SDR Play DX is my favorite, though, as it has diversity built in.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI

kd1nw:
I agree with Bill, I love old receivers but you can beat the sdr and for exactly the reasons he gave. I had an rsp1 that I used often when working on tube receivers to see oscillator activity and such. It's really handy. The sdr play stuff is very good. If you only need .5 to 30 Mhz, I would and have considered KiwiSDR. I like a few kiwi online rx and they have synchronous AM with both sideband, select-able sideband and also stereo. If you already have the computer, then its the way to go

73 Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands