IPP530 alternative?

Pages: (1/4) > >>

SA2CLC:

Hello.
My 11n90 class E 4-FET tx failed again, most likely due to a transient on the drains, anyway, was tired of that and I am looking into building something new and a H-bridge for160-80-40 seems promising. 

Looking at mouser and other vendors lists the IPP530 as obsolete. What are you guys recommending?

vk3alk:

Hi Tommy...

Obsolete what a shame...
Personnally I thought at some stage this would happen and just before Covid purchased 50 of them at $1.10 each...
To me they were a gift from God really....
Even pushed them well beyond 150 volts and they just worked  :)

There is another FET IRFB4019PBF from Infineon....
They seem to be used in Class D audio Amplifiers whether or not thats good not sure...
Their specs are not quite as good but they will work as a replacement but probably not as a multi band 160 / 80 /40 transmitter ....
160 and 80M yes but 40M would probably have to be single banded....

They are not as robust in current rating either but 250Watts out of a single module should be OK...

If you do get some ( appox $3.00 each ) and they are successful would start to push them above 150 volts just to see where you stand with them...
Thats what I did with the IPPs .... applied modulation and slowly increased the Drain voltage but you do need overload protection otherwise everything goes....

250 watts out of a single module might not seem much but there are ways around this....

Have uploaded a photo of a module which has the PWM and TX on the one board...
The other photo shows 2 of them bolted together and then into say a 2 way power combiner will give you double the power...
It never stops really 4 into a 4 way combiner is a 1KW...
Each module loafs along as it has its own modulator and runs happly at 250 watts....  :D

You could even multiphase / interphase and get sampling rates in excess of 1Mhz  :D

I must say that with my current setups due to my Power Supplies each module runs at appox 125 Watts giving 250Watts output...
Are slowly building modules at the moment ( not in a great hurry ) and will Multiphase them...
This is not a Amateur Radio project but more as a Electronic project just to prove to myself that I can do it...

Wayne

SA2CLC:

Wayne, that looks like a deal. Love the all-on-one board mod/tx.
Great work and nice layout.

Yeah, shame on the IPP530's. I see them on ebay from chinese vendors, but have got on the fake transistor train before so I'm very hesitant. Paypal refund is working good thou.

Looking at specs, I'm assuming rise and fall times are what to look at? Going surface gAn sure reveals some fast ones, with quite impressing voltage/current ratings, like the GS66508T, but that quickly turns expensive and more involved to mount and cool.
Maybe I'll order a couple 4019PBF's and try.

Couldn't you please do a writeup on your transmitter build?
// Tommy, SA2CLC

vk3alk:

Wooww those GS66508T have impressive specs....
They are not all that expensive either but maybe I will stick with what I understand...
There is always something new appearing round the corner...

Will post something regarding the TX modules...
Just looking around at my test modules so I don't have to build from scratch... :)

Wayne

SA2CLC:

Wayne, have a look at IRF200B211.
Pretty decent fall and rise times, fairly low output capacitance.
Cheap at about 1.5$

Pages: (1/4) > >>

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands