The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:19:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton 2019  (Read 5200 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:58 PM »

Any Dayton reports?

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »

I hope someone makes a lot of photos for the guys like me that didn't make it this year.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »

Seems pretty quiet!   

Yes, I think Martha and I will make the trip out next year.  Its been almost 20 years since I have been to Dayton with my former business.  This time, it will be as a casual observer.  Back then, Dale-KW1I always hosted a fantastic, over the top AM presentation.  The Tron was usually there along with Don-K4KYV.  Not sure if they have an AM Forum anymore or not?       

Joe-GMS 

ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »

Many years ago I attended the Class E presentation that Steve put on at Boxboro. I was well aware of the AM mode, but hadn't heard of class E stuff. I didn't pay too much attention to it until years later. It was enough to plant a few neurons though. Hopefully there was an AM presence at Dayton.

I haven't been there yet but might someday. 

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
KA3EKH

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 10:32:47 PM »

Last night it did rain almost all night before the Hamvention but rain stopped by the beginning of the event. The site was wet but not an ocean of mud. Prices were down from what they have been in the past, or at least that’s what I thought. Saw many Collins radios including S line and KWM-2 transceivers. Saw where a 651S1 was bought for $450 and several R-390A receivers in the $300 to $500 range depending on condition. R-392 receivers were available for anywhere from $150 to $250 and saw things like PRC-74 radios under $300 Lots of BC-348 receivers in the $25 to$50 range including a BC-348Q that I bought for $20 that was all original with dynamotor. There was also a ART-13 complete for $200 along with a couple other sets.  WB9NTL had a bunch of Command sets, racks and accessories and appeared to sell them all. I saw several command set receivers but they were all in the $40 price range and not clean or unmodified like the ones he was selling. I bought a nice clean MAK marine radiotelephone and remote for $40 and saw lots of other nice radios like a GRP-90 that was there.
 Today we had the WW2 3885 AM Military radio net the used a GRC-19 set as net control with around twenty five station participating. There was much confusion about the Cold War Net and there must have been at least fifty different people attempting to check in but I was unable to check in myself.
 Both MRCA and MMRCG were well represented at the event. All tougher there must have been at least a dozen sellers of military radio equipment and over thirty to forty people selling military along with other items so the hobby of military radio collecting was well represented.
Nick was there and took lots of pictures. He will have them posted soon.
Lots of AM Heavy metal. good attendance.
No big AM station on site this year but us little guys did beat the AM drum. Looking forward to next year.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »

Last night it did rain almost all night before the Hamvention but rain stopped by the beginning of the event. The site was wet but not an ocean of mud. Prices were down from what they have been in the past, or at least that’s what I thought. Saw many Collins radios including S line and KWM-2 transceivers. Saw where a 651S1 was bought for $450 and several R-390A receivers in the $300 to $500 range depending on condition. R-392 receivers were available for anywhere from $150 to $250 and saw things like PRC-74 radios under $300 Lots of BC-348 receivers in the $25 to$50 range including a BC-348Q that I bought for $20 that was all original with dynamotor. There was also a ART-13 complete for $200 along with a couple other sets.  WB9NTL had a bunch of Command sets, racks and accessories and appeared to sell them all. I saw several command set receivers but they were all in the $40 price range and not clean or unmodified like the ones he was selling. I bought a nice clean MAK marine radiotelephone and remote for $40 and saw lots of other nice radios like a GRP-90 that was there.
 Today we had the WW2 3885 AM Military radio net the used a GRC-19 set as net control with around twenty five station participating. There was much confusion about the Cold War Net and there must have been at least fifty different people attempting to check in but I was unable to check in myself.
 Both MRCA and MMRCG were well represented at the event. All tougher there must have been at least a dozen sellers of military radio equipment and over thirty to forty people selling military along with other items so the hobby of military radio collecting was well represented.
Nick was there and took lots of pictures. He will have them posted soon.
Lots of AM Heavy metal. good attendance.
No big AM station on site this year but us little guys did beat the AM drum. Looking forward to next year.

Thanks for the report!  Some good gear at some good prices.  Hopefully those selling only brought home cash and those buying had enough cash to fill the car up with gas to make it home!  Wink

Joe-W3GMS

k3msb

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »

Met a Hamvention bound fellow in Xenia the day before the festivities started......  he unloaded some goodies early.....

* 20190516_122300.jpg (58.96 KB, 552x736 - viewed 377 times.)

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »

I hope someone makes a lot of photos for the guys like me that didn't make it this year.

My computer says I have 458 snapshots from Fair Radio and Dayton/Xenia this year.
I'll post a link when I get them on line.

It seemed like lots of boatanchor gear was on offer this year - also good weather and lots of people.

While you are waiting for this year's post, you can browse previous year snapshots at
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/index.html#dayton

Cheers,
Nick K4NYW

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

My photos are now posted here -
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/dayton-19.htm
And my photos from a visit to Fair Radio are here -
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/fair-19.htm

Great fun was had by all!
Cheers,
Nick

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »

Thanks for all the great pictures Nick.   Next year its on our list to attend.

Joe-W3GMS

KA3EKH

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »

There were tornados last night just north of Dayton Ohio in Trotwood. The old Hara Arena was hit and lost part of its roof and was damaged. Perhaps this is the final end to the Hara Arena? The longtime home to the Dayton Hamvention before it moved to Xenia three years ago.
Somehow as soon as I learned of the tornados just above Dayton last night thought of this and now you can see the video for yourself.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/hara-arena-roof-blown-off-trotwood-schools-closed-after-tornadoes/5W7NpDohYwDBNwu9fp59bK/

Maybe the last chapter in the Hara story.

KC4VWU

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 06:07:51 PM »

Wow! That's amazing! I had this feeling before I had to cancel my reservations due to several mishaps this year; we were supposed to stay in Centereville. This area is pretty much still in tornado alley. Really hope to never come face to face with one; I'm sure I'd crap my pants! Hope everyone in the area is O.K. and no injuries or fatalities. As far as Hara Arena... I have my memories, now bulldoze it!

...Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015