The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Forever!  (Read 9358 times)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:28 AM »

Sometimes, perception is reality.

* AM Forever.jpg (494.08 KB, 1800x1800 - viewed 370 times.)

It’s not just values, it’s business.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »

Q,
What do the three pics in the above collage have in common?
A,
They all show DNA, two as carriers and one as a simulacrum.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka1tdq

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »

It's my gang symbol man...

Like the Masons (whom I affectionately refer to as 'the Get Along Gang' to my wife. You can Google it). They have an upside down triangle and a letter 'G' for their gang. I shouldn't poke fun though... they like to pop themselves off like Jiffy Popcorn. Pop! Pop! Pop! There's quite a story there.

My gang symbol is a hot chic, a personalized license plate and the CEO of Amazon from the show 'South Park.'

It all makes sense to me, but then again I build class E rigs.

How many times have I said that? I'll just close the lid on that one. Yeah, I'm in the club...

Jon

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »

You are indeed.
You’ll notice my symbol threading right down through your plate, right through the
Salient letter.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »

People who reference South Park are,  shall we say,  in need of special scrutiny.

KLC

What? Me worry?
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 04:12:39 PM »

Like the Masons

I have some of their jars!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ka1tdq

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »

South Park pokes fun at everybody. Some people just can't handle it. I don't think they've ever tackled ham radio though, other than maybe a slight allusion with the Amazon CEO thing. Maybe we're just so boring that we're not even worth the hassle.  

Anyway, mason jars good (as are masonry bits if you need to pop through some concrete).

For the record, I was asked to joint the Masons 4 times. I said no every time. I've been waiting for the fifth call, but apparently they're a timid bunch in Arizona. I blame the educational system here. They still do the tube thing exclusively. The public schools here ranked 48th in the nation last year, being beat out by Mississippi no less. You might as well put a '4' where the '7' is in callsigns.

But, I digress...

Jon

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »

For the record, I was asked to joint the Masons 4 times.

I had a uncle that was 32nd or 33rd degree Mason (TOP DOG) if that is how they are ranked and two other friends who are Masons. I got the impression that you had to have the initiative to "ask" if you wanted to get involved?

Anyhow, there is a lot of stuff you can learn about them on the old Google. Through out my life, other that five years in the US Army, I have never joined any group or club other than AMFONE. Where's are uniforms or hats? Even a plastic official AMfone badge with call-sign and name on it would be great!

ka1tdq

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:20:03 PM »

This was about 8 years ago when they were begging for memberships in Massachusetts. Remember those cheesy TV commercials with a guy dressed up as Ben Franklin? Anyway, three different people at my work asked me a total of four times about joining.

Everything is about membership these days. Thankfully the Arizona guys aren’t embarrassing themselves with the commercials.

I hope your uncle died of natural causes and didn’t ‘off’ himself like some people did at my workplace in Mass. One tech died of alcohol poisoning after about 6 months of going crazy, and the helicopter pilot hanged himself in the hangar (maybe no pun intended). A third person also died of alcohol poisoning, but I’m not sure if he was a Mason or not.

AMfone membership is safer. We just suffer electrical shocks occasionally.

Jon

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 06:02:26 AM »

My late father-in-law was very active in both the Masons and the Knights of Columbus in Woonsocket, RI.  He always liked to refer to himself as a Mason-Knight! 

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ka1tdq

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 07:29:55 AM »

Ok, I give... I don't have any other ammo.  "Look at the pretty transmitter!"

I put a house switch on the side of the desk to divert modulated drain voltage to either the 8-FET or the 2-FET 75 meter rigs.

I'm actually bored now and freed up space on my workbench to start building class D stuff. Notice the space heater on the top shelf of the desk. Now that I've been in Arizona for some years and my blood has thinned, I too am a pussy.

Jon

* Arizona Masons Cant Build These.jpg (2572.86 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 231 times.)

* They Cant Build Class D Either.jpg (3535.99 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 253 times.)

* 1-Lander Ham Shack.jpg (3660.54 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 300 times.)

ka1tdq

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »

One final thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAdzzYSKfY

Jon

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »

..Many world thoughts.  I knew you had more ammo.

Hey, I like your acrylic or plexiglass stchuff. 
You be the second coming of "JJ", but in solid state.

Re: Masons and the much later derivitive service orgs.

"Do not seek,
  But when asked,
    Serve."

Usually honorable.

Their demise in Mass. may be catching.  Not just a generational thing.  I see a national news wx girl just did same thing after a bad operation, or something.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka1tdq

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 07:55:53 PM »

It is. Things are pretty much behind the times here. Before we moved out here, one of my political friends made the comment that I should do pretty well since ‘those’ people know nothing about politics. I didn’t realize how correct she was.

One politically savvy coworker of mine made a slight toward me that I didn’t have any common sense. Probably because I’m a big bad liberal, or so I have the label. Considering though that I have a big house, hot wife, two awesome kids, a live in baby sitter, Vegas trips galore and E transmitters falling out of my ass, I’ll take my understanding of the world over his.

Anyway, he’s stuck building pine toy racecar derby things. He can wallow in his own misery. If I buy a Hotwheels car from WalMart and cheer as gravity propels it down a track, then make room for me in the hangar too. Just sayin’...

Jon

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »

Notice the space heater on the top shelf of the desk

My Uncle made it to retirement working at GE near Phila in the large swithgear section and always worked part time as a waiter, for high class people wearing tux and all. He always wanted to retire in Florida and two weeks after he got there, he died?

That space heater, if its ceramic, could it double as a dummy load? I assume something in it is solid state and maybe its around 50 ohms?  So if anyone ax you if'n its a heater, you know the answer!

ka1tdq

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 01:26:59 AM »

It most certainly would fry.

And just a word of advice; once you start with the Get-Along Gang, you'd better follow through. That goes for spouses as well. Don't try to back out or the consequences will be severe. My guess is too, from what I've seen, that in Arizona they're a little more strict and don't 'take too kindly' to back-steppin'. Sadly, they're stupid and strict. I blame military and Mormon saturation of the area.

The Masonic coworker who killed himself at my last job I believe tried to. Before his 6-months of hell, I offered to help him out of the Masons if he so desired. My intentions were completely pure and I really was just trying to help, even though the guy was a right-wing nut job and hated my guts. Unfortunately I didn't know enough about the group back then. Without getting into a long, drawn-out story which nobody has time for, his services were no longer needed. And, someone had to clean up his mess in more ways than one. Enough said.

Anyway, the Antek transformer in the power supply for my FET rigs zorched. I tripped a breaker yesterday, and the thing hums like crazy, even with no load completely (rectifier bridge removed). Luckily I have a spare transformer that'll work. Thanks Dennis for giving it to me. I really appreciate it!

Jon

* IMG_0229.jpg (3397.32 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 207 times.)

ka1tdq

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »

Actually, the transformer was fine. The a few high current diodes has loose mechanical connections and I found two cold solder joints. The thing was humming like a Masonic recruit in a men's bathroom. I ended up replacing the transformer with this one so that I'll have a slightly higher drain voltage under load.

All's well that ends well, that's what I say.

Jon

* IMG_0230.jpg (2937.99 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 232 times.)

KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »

My last ham radio license upgrade test was held at a Masonic temple. Admittedly, I felt a bit uncomfortable being in there – as if I were hanging around the women's changing-room at Walmart (which, by the way, is the only time that holding my wife's purse is of comfort to me).

Anyway, no one at the temple had asked me to join the Masons, but the examiners suggested that I become a VE. Despite the jubilant feeling I was experiencing, having just passed the test, I wasn't going to make any kind of commitment while standing in that particular building.

Perhaps I'm too suspicious of peoples motives. Maybe I'm just a strong individualist. Or it could be that I wouldn't want to join any organization that would have someone like me as a member (this forum not withstanding). Years of regression therapy may reveal which, owing to not being breast-fed long enough or some such nonsense, but I haven't the time for all of that.

But, in the end, I'm content with the peace-of-mind in knowing that never do I need to utter the words "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
ka1tdq

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »

Lean on me
When you're not strong
I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on

Unless you're a sap
Lay down your tools
You're better off dead
Once again, you're the fool

Eh, Nashville probably isn't going to beat a path to my door.

RIP Wynn:  https://obits.masslive.com/obituaries/masslive/obituary-preview.aspx?n=winfield-grace-mccutchen&pid=143272312&referrer=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESidBrr2cxk

Jon - Calm down... pictures in no particular order

* s-l640.jpg (62.56 KB, 478x501 - viewed 174 times.)

* IMG_0234.jpg (4379.9 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 202 times.)

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 11:47:11 PM »

For the record, I was asked to joint the Masons 4 times.

I had a uncle that was 32nd or 33rd degree Mason (TOP DOG) if that is how they are ranked and two other friends who are Masons. I got the impression that you had to have the initiative to "ask" if you wanted to get involved?

Anyhow, there is a lot of stuff you can learn about them on the old Google. Through out my life, other that five years in the US Army, I have never joined any group or club other than AMFONE. Where's are uniforms or hats? Even a plastic official AMfone badge with call-sign and name on it would be great!

like this..
https://www.cafepress.com/bunkerofdoom
cost nothing to design the products and they can be bought online

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka1tdq

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 04:39:43 AM »

Bunker of doom, or church of doom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kx-WtGYJPA

3:48 is especially good...

Jon

ka1tdq

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 06:16:29 AM »

Made you look.

See, I'm clever and full of antics.

Jon

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »

See, I'm clever and full of antics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESidBrr2cxk

I don't know about that? I think the Porkster has something to say about that!

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 09:38:07 AM »

like this..
https://www.cafepress.com/bunkerofdoom
cost nothing to design the products and they can be bought online

I think a name tag or a badge that pins on would be the best for some of us old greasy hams.

Enclosed instructions

TOO MUCH GREASE ON YOUR HAT OR SHIRT?
REMOVE TAG OR BADGE FROM GREASY SHIRT OR HAT.
INSTALL ON CLEAN SHIRT OR HAT. ENJOY...

ka1tdq

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »

I think my joke is funnier. I’m biased... (funny drum roll here)

Boy, that one went down like a Mason trying to escape.

Ha!

Jon

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015