The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:38:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sussex Hamfest  (Read 4950 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: July 15, 2018, 11:18:00 PM »

Neither Martha or I ever had the opportunity to attend the Sussex Hamfest.  I have heard many times over how great of a Fester it is.  Well, we certainly were not disappointed.  Its about a 4 hour drive for us, so we made a two day event of it.  On Saturday we visited and went out to dinner with our good friend Jim-WA2MER and his wife Ruth Ann.  What a pleasant day that was.  Then up bright an early leaving the Holiday in Express to go over to Sussex.  Since I have been a licensed Ham now for 52 years, its very hard to just go look at tables since I run into so many people along the way that I know and then the conversations start!  

Here is one picture that Martha took.  

L to R
Jim-WA2MER
Matt-N2WXQ
Joe-W3GMS
Harry-WE1X
Carl-WA1KPD

Joe-W3GMS          

* IMG_2876.JPG (2520.21 KB, 4000x2664 - viewed 397 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »

Indeed it was a good day despite the early morning rain. Had a chance to meet WB2GCR!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »

Indeed it was a good day despite the early morning rain. Had a chance to meet WB2GCR!

Yes, I saw Bear as well.  I think he snapped a few pictures.

Joe-GMS

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »

I shall post a few, as soon as I can manage to squeeze them out of my antique digital camera!

Nice running into you Joe, and Carl, and I think was that Harry?
Was there with the Catskill AM Mafia: Steve, W2TRH, John KC2FXE, and Jamie KC2VM, and Walter, whose call
i do not know...

Also ran into my friend Paul KD2IWC.

...missed seeing Nick KG2IR and Howie, (whose call I can't recall...) and allegedly Jeff W2NBC was there
with his wife, but since I have no idea what he looks like...

Fwiw, Joe, that was a bit thinner than usual, probably due to the drizzle/downpour around 8AM.
It drizzled all the way down from Small Bunny NY (Albany).

Stopped at Chris' W2JBL's QTH on the way back upstate!

Got a few things that I definitely DO NOT NEED! Cheesy

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KD1SH

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »

This was my first time, but not my last; it'll be on my calendar from now on.  It's a drive - a bit over three hours - but it was worth it.  Rained most of the way down and I was sure it would all be a waste of time, but aside from a few very light sprinkles and one brief downpour, it was great.  As soon as the downpour stopped, everyone pulled their tarps back off their stuff and continued.  I'm sure the turnout was lighter than normal due to the rain, but I'm looking forward to finding out what it's like on a nice day.
    A very nicely organized event, too; the club did a fantastic job.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »

You mean you go to hamfests for things you "need"?  What's up with that?

_-_-

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »

" You mean you go to hamfests for things you "need"?   What's up with that? "

I think they are called 'excuses'. I never needed any.

klc

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »

No, really, really did not need!!
Two VHF/UHF ex NASA mil-spec "field strength receivers" - cool knobs and a great Weston meter... useless
to me. And a part from an Electron Microscope with two very large micrometer adjusters, about 1.5" diameter
adjuster knob thingies... I need them for... what??? Cheesy

Did get an extra 3-400 for the Henry 2K-3... if it works. (ha)

Pix:

* BEAR & JOE GMS.JPG (385.8 KB, 1480x1110 - viewed 308 times.)

* CATSKILL AM MAFIA.JPG (582.11 KB, 1480x1246 - viewed 371 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 07:18:47 PM »

I shall post a few, as soon as I can manage to squeeze them out of my antique digital camera!

Nice running into you Joe, and Carl, and I think was that Harry?
Was there with the Catskill AM Mafia: Steve, W2TRH, John KC2FXE, and Jamie KC2VM, and Walter, whose call
i do not know...

Also ran into my friend Paul KD2IWC.

...missed seeing Nick KG2IR and Howie, (whose call I can't recall...) and allegedly Jeff W2NBC was there
with his wife, but since I have no idea what he looks like...

Fwiw, Joe, that was a bit thinner than usual, probably due to the drizzle/downpour around 8AM.
It drizzled all the way down from Small Bunny NY (Albany).

Stopped at Chris' W2JBL's QTH on the way back upstate!

_-_-

Good seeing you Bear.  I did run into Nick-KG2IR but did not see Jeff-W2NBC.  I also missed seeing Jim-KC2DHU who checks into the AWA PM/AM net that I host at 7PM on Sunday evenings.   Yes, that was Harry WE1X with Carl-WA1KPD.  

Joe-GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »

No, really, really did not need!!
Two VHF/UHF ex NASA mil-spec "field strength receivers" - cool knobs and a great Weston meter... useless
to me. And a part from an Electron Microscope with two very large micrometer adjusters, about 1.5" diameter
adjuster knob thingies... I need them for... what??? Cheesy

Did get an extra 3-400 for the Henry 2K-3... if it works. (ha)

Pix:

Great pictures!

Joe-GMS

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »

Neither Martha or I ever had the opportunity to attend the Sussex Hamfest.  I have heard many times over how great of a Fester it is.  Well, we certainly were not disappointed.  Its about a 4 hour drive for us, so we made a two day event of it.  On Saturday we visited and went out to dinner with our good friend Jim-WA2MER and his wife Ruth Ann.  What a pleasant day that was.  Then up bright an early leaving the Holiday in Express to go over to Sussex.  Since I have been a licensed Ham now for 52 years, its very hard to just go look at tables since I run into so many people along the way that I know and then the conversations start!  

Here is one picture that Martha took.  

L to R
Jim-WA2MER
Matt-N2WXQ
Joe-W3GMS
Harry-WE1X
Carl-WA1KPD

Joe-W3GMS          

Good to see you and Martha as well as the rest of the gang! Looking forward to getting the shop set up at the new QTH and a test flight with the SPX 600 as well as restoration of the SX q8.
Heard there was a real buzzardly HB modulator on site that would have been a cool addition, but lost out. Was also on the hunt for an older Stancor T69 that was supposed to arrive but maybe the wx scared it away

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KD1SH

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »

Every hamfest I come home with some "I need them for...what?" stuff.  Last Nearfest I paid $10 for an ancient - probably home-brew but I'm not sure - 6 meter amp.  No tubes, and it took a bit of circuit tracing and browsing through tube bases in old ARRL Handbooks to figure out that the tubes were push-pull 826's.  I'm more likely to trip over it and break my toe than do anything useful with it, but...it's a disease.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:46:48 PM »

Good to see you and Martha as well as the rest of the gang! Looking forward to getting the shop set up at the new QTH and a test flight with the SPX 600 as well as restoration of the SX q8.
Heard there was a real buzzardly HB modulator on site that would have been a cool addition, but lost out. Was also on the hunt for an older Stancor T69 that was supposed to arrive but maybe the wx scared it away
[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always good to run into you as well Carl.  You got some good deals at Sussex for sure.  Get that workbench and shop all set up at your new QTH.  

Will miss seeing the gang at NEAR-Fest in the Fall, but if things work out OK, we will be back at NEAR-Fest in the Spring.  

Joe-GMS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015