The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: area for olive drab green AM stuff  (Read 9071 times)
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« on: March 05, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »

Hello All
A big part of my hobby is repairing, collecting restoring and operating green equipment, surplus transmitters and receivers. I miss that in the AM forum, a part for green stuff, information, experiences, modifications etc. In Europa, a big part of the AM activities is the use of surplus transmitters and receivers.
I own and use
The WS19, ANGRC9 with LV80 amp, the T1154, R1155, National HRO and many more small transmitters and receivers.
I love to read about it and hear the experiences of other hams using olive drab green equipment
Please your opinion about the addition of a green area in AMFone
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »

I think a green radio forum would be nice here. I don't know of any already existing on the web, but I would think there is at least one out there somewhere. I did a quick search, but did not find anything promising, so maybe we should have one here. Trouble is, this is an AM forum, and green radios do other modes as well as AM. Not a problem for me, but maybe others.
73.........Larry
KA3EKH

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 02:56:00 PM »

Several email reflectors like Millist, MRCA and the dreaded ARC-5 list, the Boat anchors web ring but any time I have gone to their site it’s loaded with viruses.
I have posted sever things here regarding things like my last ARC-5 transmitter project under the technical section:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=43472.0

And found the knowledge base and comments available here were excellent, never had the feeling that they discriminate regarding military or vacuum tube stuff on the technical forum being there is lots there regarding T-368, BC-610 and R-390 receivers and all that sort of stuff.
All the Hard Core Power FET class E people migrated over to the “Class E Forum” so now I don’t have fell stupid looking at the stuff on the “Technical Forum” so that’s not a bad place to hang out with Military Green  vacuum tube technology.

PA0NVD

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 03:09:17 PM »

Hi Larry
Almost all vintage sets only do AM and /or CW or MCW (AM CW, there are some modern sets that do SSB and small VHF stuff with FM. In he Netherlands there is a vintage AM net mostly for green stuff, every sunday morning at 3705 MHz AM. In the UK there is a net special for the ANGRC9, the Angry nine, AM and some CW. There are some special websites for e.g the WS19 set, but not for other equipment. You can find various websites for green transmitters and receivers, but technical information, not the discussion about the use and the experiences with the equipment like in our fantastic AMFone
I found some good info at AMFone about the WS19 and the BC610, but you really have to search for info and experiences with olive dab stuff
I agree with KA3EKH, the tecnical forum is indeed a fine place to hangout, but when green stuff is a big part of your interests, it is quite a job to find the info there while there is indeed a wealth of knowledge in AMFone
Class D, E or F people know where to go, many people with olive drab stuff like to do the same I guess. (I like to see that place and will hangout there often..)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »

I can create a sub forum here for mil radio if there is sufficient interest.
PA0NVD

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »

Hi Steve
Very much interested to seen how many people like to see that sub forum. Looks like Don, VE1LYX and  Cris, AJ1G both have 19 sets and you have a BC610, Together with Larry we start off with 5
Please chime-in
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »

I have a handful of military rigs myself, WW2 navy stuff is what I prefer, i have a Westinghouse GO-9 (just the hf section, not the power supply or mf section) and a T20/ARC5. Also have a chinese type 102E transmitter (the rig that is a copy of the AN/GRC-9).

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »

I'd definitely like to see a green stuff subforum. All my current stuff is black (ART-13, BC-342, ARC-5s), but it's green in spirit.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:17:34 AM »

I vote for the military radio sub forum.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:54:17 PM »

I'd definitely like to see a green stuff subforum. All my current stuff is black (ART-13, BC-342, ARC-5s), but it's green in spirit.

USN motto -
Works good, Works fine.
Paint it gray, lasts a long time.

Yeah, if you are sober, it doesn't quite rhyme, but you get my drift. If you create a new forum, please make it for all military radio, not just that green stuff.....

That said, the existing milsurplus list has quite a good assortment of knowledgeable and friendly people.

KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »

I'd like to see it. I have a few Mil rigs.

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
PA0NVD

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »

USN motto -
Works good, Works fine.
Paint it gray, lasts a long time.

Yeah, if you are sober, it doesn't quite rhyme, but you get my drift. If you create a new forum, please make it for all military radio, not just that green stuff.....

Yep
My National HRO and the R1155 and T1154 are also black with a green spirit

That said, the existing milsurplus list has quite a good assortment of knowledgeable and friendly people.

KA3EKH

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »

Perhaps a better name would be Military Surplus / Vintage or just Surplus Vintage? Being it would cater to older tube technology?
SM6OID

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »

Hej!

My equipment is either green, black or grey...
And, most of it is more or less heavy.
I do not have a "Ham Radio", only mil or commercial stuff.

A sub forum dedicated to mil radio, maritime radio and commercial radio would be nice.
OR any other variant more or less aiming in that direction.

Check this out:
 https://www.qrz.com/db/sm6oid

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »

Is there an objection to accessory equipment and various FM sets? The military radio hobby is mode agnostic, just "get er done!"

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
PA0NVD

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »

Is there an objection to accessory equipment and various FM sets? The military radio hobby is mode agnostic, just "get er done!"

Its included in most mil equipment, powersupplies, misc telefonos and mic's. cables switch boxes etc. I also have various FM equipment (PRC6.6, PRC10 and more), so I am in favor of adding this stuff. I appreciate ideas to replace noisy rotary power supplies for home use
If there will be a subsection, let it be as complete as possible
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »

I've got BC-610E, a BC-610I that's looking for a home, military Super Pro, a couple of SX-28As and a couple of R-390As.

I'd be all for a military radio forum.

Greg

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »

The only way I'd go for it if some one bribes me with the AN/ART13 hand crank. IF not, the answer is nooooooo.

klc

besides, it's black crinckle

What? Me worry?
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »

Hand crank for an ART-13?Huh?  Sure you don’t mean for a GN-58 hand cranked genny used with the AN/GRC-9 “Angry Nine” RT-77 2-12 MHz ground radio for manpack field use?

Cranking one of those little beasts gives you a real appreciation of the mechanical to electrical transfer function of a generator.  You can feel the load kick in when the radio is keyed.

Although there are a number of mailing lists out there for those of us that are afflicted with the mil radio syndrome (ARC-5, MRCA, WS-19), it would be fun to have a sub-forum here too.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 08:21:44 AM »

No, not the Angry9.. I have no interest in objects of torture.

The autotune crank - it's used to " line up"  the autotune mechanicals.

http://aafradio.org/garajmahal/ART-13_lineshaft_crank.html

KLC

What? Me worry?
KA3EKH

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »

Over the years did a couple ART-13 transmitters, built up AC power supplies and the like. Always remember the first one I did and how it scared the hell out of me when I turned the channel knob and all the dials took off whizzing all around, wasn’t expecting anything like that from a radio!

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »

It usta be called the Maytag.... ..

KLC

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »

I think the trick in having a surplus forum would be keeping it mainly related to AM which is the purpose of AMfone.net. I say 'mainly' because we do occasionally speak of CW, SSB, DX and other items not specifically related to AM, but folks keep it to a minimum so it's not a problem.

The other issue is the number of milsurplus forums, email groups, and whatever else that already exist. We don't want to further dilute the pool, so to speak.

OTOH, this forum is an excellent resource for all things AM including surplus, and it would be much easier to post photos, diagrams and so on of surplus gear, as well as asking or answering questions. Aside from a GRR-5 (the only green thing here), I have a bunch of ARC-5, RAX, RU/GF and other WWII gear here. And I think nearly everyone out there must own at least one R-390A? So the topic is of interest here as well.

Let's see where it goes....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 11:39:27 PM »

The new forum is up. Who's gonna make the first post?

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?board=77.0
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »

TNX OM 

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015