The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:01:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC-303 revitalization  (Read 14144 times)
k7mdo
Contributing

« on: September 28, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »

This might be the best boat anchor I have as yet stumbled onto.  I spotted an ad on the local craig's list for an NC-303 and a Hallicrafters HT-37 (which I have one of and use regularly). $50 each!  I scurried to the seller's home and hardly looked at them before the cash came out and they were loaded into my truck. 

No more than got home and eased the NC-303 up on a variac to see if it smoked but was pleased to hear stations on 20 meters.  I immediately ordered a Hayseed cap kit for it and while waiting freed up the controls as they all were stuck or nearly so. (and Deoxit sparingly)

Received the cap kit and replaced all of the paper ones except for the ones inside of the "notch" and "depth" control box, there is the rub.

Has anyone reading this ever removed the seemingly separate box that houses the notch/depth circuitry?  I see there are probably several caps including an 8 mfd paper electrolytic inside that box but the best I can tell from examination is that at the very least the entire front panel of the radio would need to be removed.... something I was not looking forward to.  As of this writing, the notch/depth circuit works as advertised.... leave it alone?

The radio seems otherwise to be as good as I could have hoped. 

73, Tom

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »

Leave it alone.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:41 PM »

Tuff to fix something thats working.

I got my 303 about a year ago and its been a real nice experience.  I like it much better than the NC300.   For CW however, the notch just isn't as effective as the crystal filter of the 300.   However, since I don't do any CW to speak of, its really not an issue for me.

I think the more you use it, the better you'll like it.

Mike

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:14:19 AM »

I'll take the "leave it alone" advice.  The radio seems so far to be great for both AM and SSB reception. A little paint touch up and it will look new. It may even replace my favorite Drake 2B in the station line up.

73, Tom
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:53:27 AM »

Well, a few days of cruising the band's with the -303 has got me convinced it will have to be integrated into my AM line-up.  What a great receiver!

A couple of new tubes, all the paper caps "except those in the notch box", a full alignment with the old URM-25D and the set plays like New.

73, Tom
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »

Tom, glad to hear you're convinced. Wink  Another good receiver is the SX-101Mk III, or, the 101A.   You know, just in case ya start lookin around.

Mike

Mike KE0ZU

k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »

I'm running out of room! Thanks for the idea.....

73, Tom

* Shack October 2016.jpg (483.29 KB, 1556x1037 - viewed 409 times.)
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:53 AM »

Nah, you just need to get organized. Wink

How do you like your HT-37?

Mike

Mike KE0ZU

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »

Tom,

Biggest problem I see is not a clip lead in sight!

--Shane
KD6VXI
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:23 AM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Look at the grey speaker on the right, hanging over it is a pair of white clip leads holding a 26 mfd 150 vdc capacitor that is being used to knock a little of the highs out of the speaker.  Sort of a test as the speaker enclosure is in a test phase and seems to need some cutoff.

😀
Tom
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 12:25:59 AM »

I really like the HT-37 (I have two of them now).... Wish I knew what common amplifier would be the best to give them a bit more "grunt" on AM. Any candidates you know other than the seemingly hard to find HT-41?

73, Tom
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 01:15:07 AM »

There are a number of old amplifiers you could use.   I have three different ones, a Dentron Clipperton L using 4ea 572s, a Gonset GSB-201 with 4ea  811As, and a National NCL-2000 with a pair of 8122s.   I have an HT-32, HT-37, and an HT-44, but as yet no Hallicrafters amplifier, but I suspect it won't be too long before I find one at a good price.

I typically don't run more than 100 to 150 Watts carrier on AM phone mostly on 80, and I do a little SSB on 20 and 10.

Mike KE0ZU

k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »

I don't see you mentioning the Heathkits.  Is there any problem with an SB-200 if I kept my output levels low?  I think I would be happy with doubling the HT-37's output, no more than that on AM.

Tom
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 06:53:22 AM »

Nothing wrong with heathkits, I'm just not a fan. Their kits were certainly popular for a number of years, and my Father was a dedicated Heath customer.   When I want to "build" something, I'll roll my own, its more fun.

Mike KE0ZU

k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 09:11:28 AM »

Now looking at the cabinet of the -303 and wondering what would be a close color match for the top. I have 'feelers' out for a matching speaker enclosure but it sounds like both units will need the odd color on top. Matching required.

Looks like a cream with a hint of grey-green in it.

Anyone have a Rustolem or rattle can approximation?

On the bright side, the black crinkle sides are near perfect.

73, Tom

KC4VWU

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 01:59:25 AM »

Black!!??  Huh Huh Huh
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 02:50:08 AM »

Black!!??  Huh Huh Huh

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 08:15:52 AM »

For those interested in the various paint schemes take a look at these many faces of the 300/303

Mike KE0ZU

k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »

Thanks, that is a good looking -303.  Mine is a close cousin in color, crinkle black sides and all.... unfortunately it's top has been abused and needs a repaint.. I want to color match as well as I can so am hoping there is someone who has used an existing color in readily available rattle cans.

In the meantime I have started taking the skirt off of the Hallicrafters HT-37 that I got with the National ($50 each!). And have found it is complete and completely untouched! This one will be fun to work on as has been the -303.  The "original" sticker from a a ham radio store in Albany Oregon is still affixed to the set.  As a kid I used to "haunt" that place looking at all the radios.  It was then Truax Radio and had new, used, and mil surplus.... a lot of eye candy for me at 10 years old.

Take care, 73, Tom
WB5IRI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »

Take the cabinet to your nearest Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store. They will match the color for you. They will sell you paint in spray cans, too, if you want. They matched the paint on my Viking Valiant case perfect!

Doug
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »

Thanks for the information Doug, I will see if there is one locally.  Great tip.

73, Tom
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 07:47:59 PM »

I really like the HT-37 (I have two of them now).... Wish I knew what common amplifier would be the best to give them a bit more "grunt" on AM. Any candidates you know other than the seemingly hard to find HT-41?

73, Tom

An ex CBer I elmered into a now general class has an HT41.   Last time I saw and used it,  it was functional,  and the last time I spoke to Chris he still had it.  Unused,  on his floor.

Want me to ask if he's willing to sell it?  He may want to be rid of the anchor,  as he has two amps he does use.   

It's outside of Houston,  TX.

--Shane
KD6VXI
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 12:02:51 AM »

I think the distance and thus shipping might make that a bit of a problem.  However, it can't hurt to ask.

73, Tom
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »

I think the distance and thus shipping might make that a bit of a problem.  However, it can't hurt to ask.

73, Tom

If you know a company or business that will accept packages for you at a commercial address, the cost goes down.  I have a lumber yard here that accepts my packages and it saves about 20-25% over home delivery, especially if the origination point is a commercial shipper or has a commercial address.
KC4VWU

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »

Wow! I must have NEVER seen a 303! I've been to MANY hamfests and never noticed that style of rx sporting a black lower half. Maybe all I've ever seen are 300's or could that have possibly been a production run change so late that not many 303's were made in that particular color scheme? Goes to show you learn something new every day!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015