The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:15:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mama Kitty  (Read 7674 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: September 28, 2016, 01:37:41 PM »

With sadness I report that Calico MamaKitty, a friend of 16 years, has passed away from kidney disease. This follows a diagnosis last week of Mookie the Cat having cancer. I know all things pass but it is a lot to deal with at once. A cat or two is always with me when I am working on radio-electronics stuff in the house. They remind me of the time when I get into something and forget it's time to eat. MamaKitty was the most inoffensive, quiet, and patient cat. She came from the front porch and she and Mookie were best friends.

* Calico MamaKitty.jpg (81.62 KB, 800x441 - viewed 356 times.)

* Mookie.jpg (86.58 KB, 520x351 - viewed 343 times.)

* take a message.jpg (255.03 KB, 1000x704 - viewed 343 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:20:34 PM »

Patrick:
Very sorry to hear of your loss and Mookie's medical condition.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »

P,

Sorry state of affairs.

KLC

What? Me worry?
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »

Sorry for your loss.  Come to my place and I can fix  you up with some new ones....I have about 30 running around the place.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »

Patrick,

Very sorry to hear of the passing of your dear friend Mama Kitty,  and of Mookie's diagnosis.

Would like to have an indoor/outdoor cat,  but am too much of a flake to manage that situation.

There are two Visiting Feral Cats,  from the Association that patrol the Radio Ranchette,  and can deal with infrequent,  and reasonably distant relationships,  and generally full food bowls.

Take care,   73  Vic
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »

I still have three well-petted and properly revered cats but truthfully my comfortable limit is two. But I never get rid of a cat, I get too attached to them.

The outdoor cats that show up - are not let inside just fed and watered on the porch. If they are fed daily they leave the birds alone because those are difficult, but they keep killing the mice and rats for sport. win-win.

Mookie's been looking for Calico Mama. Fortunate are animals that they forget before long and have little understanding, but they sure have feelings.

Thanks all for their sentiments. The veterinarian has some steroid meds for Mookie that should shrink her tumor, so we will hope for the best.

W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »

So sorry to hear about the loss of your special friend, and I hope the new meds will be effective. I still miss Chessie sitting on my keyboard and even gnawing the insulation off the mike cable!
Bob - NE
W1ITT

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »

After the loss of a critter friend, it's always tempting to say "No more..."  But, after a while, but not too long of a while. the next critter will bring happiness back into the house.  I always think of the cat I have now as something of a tribute to the ones I've had in the past.  I'm sure it's the same for dogs or donkeys or whatever you choose (or chooses you) for family inclusion.
I'd like to have another purebred Maine cooncat before I croak, but I find that I'm probably just as happy with shelter rescue critters.   I just wish they'd breed a cat or a dog that would live the same "three-score and ten" years that humans are allotted.  But without arthritis and bifocal glasses....
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »

Patrick

So sorry to hear of your loss

It's always very hard.  Al
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:37:16 PM »

Hi Pat -

Sorry to hear 16 year old Mama Kitty passed.  It's such a heartbreaker.

Not a day goes by that I don't think deeply about Yaz, now 13.  I give him extra special care each day and pretend he won't be around much longer - so to appreciate him more. Time is accelerating like an exponential curve and time is relentless.

All the best to Mookie. Hope the steroids work.

Take care, OM.

T  

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »

My sincerest condolences on Mama Kitty, and prayers for Mookie.

Been there and done that, more than once. Cry

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »

One of my mother's cats, "Tinkerbell", aged 16 years, has just passed on. She had the progressive kidney disease that old cats get but suddenly she was in pain when handled. The veterinarian quickly discovered the large tumor in her intestinal wall. There was nothing else to do but the merciful thing, as Tinkerbell was in a great deal of pain and it was getting worse.

My wheelchair-bound 80+ mother has been inconsolable and in tears all afternoon. At least three of her remaining cats are also very old but they seem healthy and I just pray they stick around for us a while. Has not been a good week. Hope it gets better.

W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »

We love our little fuzzballs in spite of themselves. So sorry.  Our oldest, Cindy, passed a year ago just before Easter.  She had a thyroid condition and lingered four months.  She was a long-haired tortoise shell and the gentlest little kitty we ever had.  I still miss her.  We have one now...Izzabella (see pix).  She's NOTHING LIKE CINDY, but she's better than no cat at all!

* Bella 80.JPG (1272 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 306 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 04:21:20 PM »

She's very cute.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »

Good mouser??

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »

Sorry to hear about your loss Patrick. Here's to Mama Kitty! RIP.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »

Hi Patrick,

So sorry that Calico MamaKitt passed.  As others have said, its always very difficult.  Our Lottie is now 11 years old and on the average our cats make it to 13 or so.  We spoil all our cats over the years and they are always inside but they just seem to check out around 13 years old or so.  A few years after we got Lottie from a no kill shelter, we got another cat Lucy.   She died very suddenly when she was 4 years old.  She was fine in the morning, ate well and was running around the house when I left to do some errands.  When I returned around noon, she has passed out on one of the dinning room chairs.  That was a real tough one to deal with since it was so unexpected.  It took Lottie a long time to forget about Lucy.  She would constantly look for her and cry around the house for at least 6 months after she passed. 

Good luck with Mookie and hope the medications offer some help.   

Joe-W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »

Sadly, Mookie has now followed MamaKitty. We found a lump on her neck in September and it was the bad news. Tuesday she passed peacefully at the veterinarian. The blasphemous tumor had grown wildly out of proportion and she could not eat. House is very quiet even with the remaining two cats.

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »

Darn. That is hard stuff. My wife had cats and she introduced me to her cat when we were dating and the rest is history...

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015