The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:27:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Previous Holders of my Callsign, W6TOM  (Read 2886 times)
W6TOM
Contributing

« on: August 27, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »

One of my friends found a page in the July 1941 issue of Radio Magazine that had a picture of the station of W6TOM, Gerald B. Joyce, he sent me a poor copy of that page. The other day another ham friend who bought bunch of issues of Radio Magazine sent me a better quality picture of the same page, this prompted me to do some research using old call books that are online.

I'm the third person to hold the call, the original holder shows up in the Spring 1941 call book at an address in Los Angles, he is not in the Spring 1940 call book. I find listings for him up the Summer of 1949 call book, I was born in the Spring of 1949. The last address is in Beverly Hills, looked it up on Google Maps, a red tile roofed California bungalow with palm trees in the yard and a fairly recent picture as it show a Bernie sign on the front lawn.

He was a musician, I found his name on credits for albums for Bing Crosby, Gene Autry and Frank Sinatra that were fairly current re-releases.

Looking at the call books in 1950, 52, 53, 54 and 57, there is no listings but he reappears in Spring 1958 call book and is also in the Spring 1959 Call book but disappears in 1961.

I wonder what the term was for a license back then? Also, how long could your license be expired before you lost the call? I appears he was without a license for 7 years.

The second holder of the call is a bit more straight forward, I find it reissued in 1978 to someone in Palo Alto, Ca and they moved to Utah around 1980 as it is now listed in Orem, Ut. The holder was an engineer I found his wife's obituary online from 2004.

I had done some of research earlier but hadn't documented it what I found.

* W6TOM Article LoRes.JPG (292.22 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 338 times.)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »

It's really neat to hear the stories of call signs. There are a few on this board who have some with quite a bit of history behind them!

Me..... I'm the original holder of my call. the WD8 prefix began in 1974. Grin
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »

I haven't been in Hamdom that long, but remember having to buy the 'call book' to get addresses to fellow Hams. Now we have QRZ'd.

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

I haven't been in Hamdom that long, but remember having to buy the 'call book' to get addresses to fellow Hams. Now we have QRZ'd.

Not all amateurs are in QRZ listings.

I still get the Flying Horse Call book every couple of years but now on CD: http://www.callbook.biz/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015