The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:07:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Berryville Hamfest anyone?  (Read 15366 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« on: May 23, 2016, 11:46:01 PM »

66th Annual Berryville Hamfest & Computer/Electronics Show
Sunday, August 7, 2016
Clarke County Ruritan Fairgrounds
890 W. Main Street
Berryville, Virginia 22611

I put this in QSO instead of announcements because I would like to get an idea of whether folks on this forum plan to attend this year.  Last year, I was in Virginia, withing driving distance of the fest, only to learn about it afterward from posts by people on the forum who posted reports and pictures.

I have the opportunity to be in the area for the 2016 fest, and would look forward to meeting some of the guys and gals on the forum.  I understand this is a very friendly and well-run fest, and usually there are plenty of boat anchors and AM equipment exchanging hands.  

If you plan to attend, please post, and I will look forward to meeting you this year.  If there is a dinner the night before or the night of the fest, I would certainly enjoy attending that as well.  I missed the Richmond fest due to medical treatments, but they are all behind me now, and my health is getting better, so I look forward to traveling and meeting more of the AMer's and getting back on the air.  I had a great deal of tree work done today and my dipoles and beam are back in operation, so I will be hanging out mostly on 75 and 40, and a bit on 15 as I get the shack back in order.

Looking forward to hearing from the folks in the Shenandoah Valley and nearby areas.  Thanks in advance for posting your plans for this fest.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:26:38 AM »

Will be in the neighborhood myself this year so definitely planning to attend, Rick. There's a small AM contingent that gets together now and then for the event, but nothing formal or well-planned; usually more last minutes or last days/weeks.

If you've never been, you will definitely enjoy it. Barring a washout, it's really a great little 'fest at an old country fairground with plenty of trees. And the ratio of good stuff to people is equally high.

Other than a handful of us staying at one AMers place the night before, we've never tried to plan anything like a dinner or cookout. Maybe this would be a good year to start. AM social events tend to be at least as enjoyable and interesting as the hamfests themselves.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »

I'm planning to attend this year, most likely arriving early.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »

I missed the Richmond fest due to medical treatments, but they are all behind me now, and my health is getting better, so I look forward to traveling and meeting more of the AMer's and getting back on the air.

Your improved health is the best part Rick!   

We have a conflict with the Berryville Hamfest at least this year.  Try and make NEAR-Fest in the Fall.  Martha and I will be there and it would be great to meet you.  You won't be disappointed if you make NEAR-Fest!   

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »

Found some shots from a couple years ago. Will repost a few below. As has been stated, despite being a small event, there is always a lot of good stuff.

Rain seems to be less of an issue in early August, too.

* Berryville4.JPG (323.83 KB, 950x632 - viewed 480 times.)

* Berryville6.JPG (330.82 KB, 950x632 - viewed 484 times.)

* Berryville10.JPG (325.54 KB, 950x632 - viewed 564 times.)

W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »

A PP-1104!!! My back hurts just thinking about it!! LOL!!!

Always enjoy the swap pictures around the country.

This next weekend is the N7RCA Swap in Minden, NV, I think this is the 5th one I've gone to, will post some pictures.

http://www.n7rca.info/

* Swap2.JPG (468.7 KB, 2274x1494 - viewed 433 times.)
w8khk

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »

Well, my schedule plans will permit me to travel to VA and attend the Berryville fest!  I made my hotel reservations this morning, arriving in town Sat afternoon, and leaving Monday morning, so I will have the whole day to visit and enjoy the fest.  Looking forward to meeting all the AM folks that are able to attend, and will take a bunch of photos for those who can't be there in person but would like to attend personally.  Last year I missed being able to attend by only one day, but that won't happen this year. 

Anyone else attending that has not yet posted?  From all I have read it is an excellent fest and has good attendance and lots of swap opportunities.

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Chris P.
W4SVA

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 11:10:22 PM »

I'm thinking about going. Its less than 2 hours from here so I should be able to slip away for the day.
w8khk

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:11:47 PM »

After seeing the pictures and comments from last year, I am sorry I missed it.  Should be fun.  Hope to see you there.  Have a safe trip!

w8khk

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »

Would anyone like to get together for dinner the night before or the night of the fest?  I do not know the area, but would be happy to join if someone familiar would take the lead and suggest a location and time to meet. That would be a lot more casual than hit or miss trying to meet folks at the fest itself.  Anyone interested in coordinating an informal get-together?Huh?

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »

I'm planning to be there

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »

I won't be able to attend but downtown Winchester, by far, has the neatest bistros, outdoor eating venues, great restaurants of every scale and price, lots of history in the old town, no cars in blocked off street section.

Just south of town proper, Jubal Early Blvd down to junction of I-81 and bypass are many of the more common signature eateries.
http://oldtownwinchesterva.com/business-directory/dining/

RICK  *W3RSW*
w8khk

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »

Just south of town proper, Jubal Early Blvd down to junction of I-81 and bypass are many of the more common signature eateries. ...snip

Thanks for the info on Winchester.   Sorry you will not be able to attend this year. 

I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Winchester at 120 Wingate Drive, just off Jubal Early Blvd at Pleasant Valley Road on Saturday and Sunday nights. 

The google map shows many of the fine eateries to which you refer.  If any of the other folks would like to get together either evening, suggest a favorite spot and time and we could all meet there.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »

Sunday lunch might be the better bet, Rick. I've been flat out here dealing with a move and getting the old property ready to list and wasn't even sure I could make it until recently(despite my previous certainty).

We should probably come up with a plan or at least a place/time for the AM crowd to meet up.

w8khk

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »

We should probably come up with a plan or at least a place/time for the AM crowd to meet up.

Todd, lunch sounds like a good idea.  I just arrived in Lynchburg this evening, and will drive to Winchester in the morning.  I would like to meet any of the folks that would like to have lunch.  I did not bring a 2M rig, but I can be reached at 404-729-1026 if anyone wants to suggest a time and place.  I am not familiar with the area.

I will check AMfone for posts or suggestions Saturday afternoon or evening.  Hopefully someone knows the area and can suggest a time and place.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »

Due to the way they have selling set up and different arrival times, we may end up scattered around a bit. My first time selling and also driving there, should be interesting.

I'll wear my gator baseball cap, tan with a gator head on it. If we don't catch up before, let's plan to meet at the main concession building at noon and plan from there.

Got the truck loaded with treasures like a T-368 RF deck, will post a list in the Classifieds.

Looking forward to meeting you and anyone else who happens along. Will be great to see ol 'JN again, too.

w8khk

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »

I'll wear my gator baseball cap, tan with a gator head on it. If we don't catch up before, let's plan to meet at the main concession building at noon and plan from there.

Sounds like a good plan.  I will wear my tan hat with W8KHK embroidered on the front, probably blue shorts.

Have a safe trip.  Looking forward to meeting everyone!

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »

I'll be selling, look for a dark green Suburban.

Look forward to seeing a crew there!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w8khk

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »

I'll be selling, look for a dark green Suburban.

Look forward to seeing a crew there!

I'm sure I can find you.  Will be great to meet you!  Suburbans are the best for hauling the heavy metal.  I have been looking all over for an NC100x or NC101x, the version with the meter, not the eye.  Seen any lately?

Chris P.
W4SVA

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 11:41:47 PM »

Looking forward to tomorrow! It looks like it will be a little warm, but no rain in the forecast.  I'll be wearing a VT baseball cap, and probably a Somerset steam and gas shirt.
w8khk

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »

Todd KA1KAQ and John W3JN enjoying the Berryville Fester under the shade trees.  Had a very enjoyable eyeball QSO today.

* CAM02372r.jpg (2304.05 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 341 times.)

* CAM02374r.jpg (2304.05 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 350 times.)

* CAM02373.jpg (1543.65 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 365 times.)

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »

I had a 'Burban back in the 90's.

I cut the Sub off the front,  glued it underneath the rest,  so my SubUrban became an Urban Sub!

Sold it to a CBer who wanted to make a key down truck.   Never materialized,  he got his license shortly after.   Still has the urban sub,  too.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »

Rick, I hope you enjoyed the hamfest.  Perfect weather. Terry K7MPP & I arrived at 8:00.  Not as many boatanchors this year as last time I was there, but saw a good supply of tubes, chokes and other boatanchor parts.  Brought home some connectors and an RF choke for the GK.

JN & KAQ if there was a greenish homebrew amp on the ground with lid open that kind of resembled an SB220 at your spot I'm sure I walked by there.  Now that I know what you look like next time I'll stop for an eyeball QSO.

* 20160807_102152.jpg (2524.09 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 333 times.)
w8khk

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »

Rick, I hope you enjoyed the hamfest.  Perfect weather.

Thanks, Brad.  Yes, I enjoyed the fest.  Weather was great.  I wish I could have met you too.  Still recovering, so I stayed as long as I could.  Will plan to come again next year and hopefully meet more of the gang.  Would love it if I could make it to NearFest in the fall.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 08:41:32 PM »

Good lookin bunch of gents.  JN, no Cubans today?
Btw, the 1943 348Q you sold me years ago was gifted to a friend who's dad was a B 17 navigator out of Polebrook England, or did I mention that before.

Todd, you pulled the driver outta that RFDeck!
-that's the part I thought you meant in earlier post but the price was awesome!

What a gorgeous day over on this side of the mountains too.
Ah , the what ifs. Miss y'all and those of you I haven't met.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015