The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rumored "space shuttle audio" sound?  (Read 12228 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: May 12, 2016, 12:03:16 AM »

"Space shuttle audio" has been mentioned many times usually in a negative context. We've all heard the real space shuttle signals - very intelligible but like a telephone in a box?

But has anyone actually tried to define the qualities of the sound? what level of clipping? Where are the low and high frequencies cut off? Any gating or other effects?

Somewhere there should be a spec, but nowhere it would be easy to find..

Anyone got a live recording/example of  'space shutle audio' quality coming from a ham?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »

The space Shuttle boom microphone was engineered to be a noise canceling design similar to aircraft headsets .... there should be design data available for those to help define response

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:40:05 AM »

From Collins history:

Collins communications equipment was used for the Apollo, Gemini and Mercury programs, providing voice communication for every American astronaut traveling through space. In 1973, the U.S. Skylab Program used Collins equipment to provide communication from the astronauts to earth.

My info says they used SSB almost exclusively.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »

That was a term I thought came from a member here in the Forum.
Space Shuttle audio is basically telephone quality audio..........300 hz to 3000, Like the old Heathkit DX100, unmodified.
The Scratchy Apache might be another example with the clipper adjusted to cause distortion.

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »

But has anyone actually tried to define the qualities of the sound? what level of clipping? Where are the low and high frequencies cut off? Any gating or other effects?

I don't think anyone really cares about it that much, Pat. It's more of a generic term used to describe very narrow, restricted, communications-grade audio. Trying to give it parameters in the ham world would be akin to trying to nail Jello to the wall - it means different things to different folks. The common thread being, most folks don't want to sound that way.

Think of piercing, noise-penetrating audio that gets through the static and interference, but gives you a headache if you listen for more than a few minutes. That'll get you in the ballpark. Great for comms work, annoying for the long exchanges often associated with AM.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »

Data parameters are not relevant. I know it when I hear it!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »

That was a term I thought came from a member here in the Forum.
Space Shuttle audio is basically telephone quality audio..........300 hz to 3000, Like the old Heathkit DX100, unmodified.
The Scratchy Apache might be another example with the clipper adjusted to cause distortion.

I agree, and with sharp roll off below 300 Hz and above 3K. Add a carbon mike to give it that true nasal quality. It can be heard frequently on SSB during contests where bandwidth is reduced to 2.1 or 1.8 KHz. Add a speech clipper or compressor to this mix and you have ear bleeding audio.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »

Plantronics used by NASA and commercial airlines for YEARS will produce that "Space Shuttle Sound"

Also used in Television control rooms, remotes, etc. especially in the 70's and 80's

Plantronics MS 50/T30-1 - headset

•Product Type: Headset - wired
•Headphones Form Factor: On-ear
•Connectivity Technology: Wired
•Headphones Technology: Dynamic
•Sound Output Mode: Mono
•Audio Specifications: Frequency Response 300 - 3000 Hz
•Impedance: 600 Ohm
•Microphone: Boom
•Microphone Technology: Dynamic
•Microphone Operation Mode: Mono

* ms50.JPG (30.95 KB, 561x471 - viewed 323 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »

I don't think anyone really cares about it that much, Pat. It's more of a generic term used to describe very narrow, restricted, communications-grade audio. Trying to give it parameters in the ham world would be akin to trying to nail Jello to the wall - it means different things to different folks. The common thread being, most folks don't want to sound that way.

Think of piercing, noise-penetrating audio that gets through the static and interference, but gives you a headache if you listen for more than a few minutes. That'll get you in the ballpark. Great for comms work, annoying for the long exchanges often associated with AM.

And most likely triggered by our fine group here on the AMFORUM and our WIDE AM (well not THAT wide) signals and the creamy audio... Did ESSB have its roots from us?? Even the CBers (some ) have cleaned up their act and using, or adjusting transmitters for better audio, instead of the raspy, distorted sound I would hear out of my radio.

Fred KC4MOP
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 10:49:21 AM »

It occurred to me that the "thing" with the NASA and later the "Space Shuttle" sound was not the way it sounded but was the NASA beep!!

People were big into that for a while.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W2ZE
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »

Yes, the Roger Beep.Big in the CB whirl...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »

I much prefer the Valiant thud.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 06:04:34 PM »

That beep always sounded like it was anything but a sinewave.. maybe it went through a clipper as well.

Hey this old H-161 headset might get close to the proper sound - but the real reason may be the electronics it plugs into.  Right, the audio is not for long speeches but for cutting through.

* H-161 headset.jpg (77.46 KB, 600x450 - viewed 338 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »

Heavy, heavy clipping + breath popping + very restricted BW with greatly accentuated "presence" frequencies.

Another term I've heard was "ear bleed" audio.  Something to avoid, not emulate.  There's really no excuse for this audio for casual, enjoyable listening

Al
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »

Heavy, heavy clipping + breath popping + very restricted BW with greatly accentuated "presence" frequencies.

Another term I've heard was "ear bleed" audio.  Something to avoid, not emulate.  There's really no excuse for this audio for casual, enjoyable listening

Al

I agree, Al. I look at it this way: Restricted, clipped audio may have a slight advantage when in a QSO where signals are very marginal -- maybe ten per cent. of the time. The other 90 per cent. of the time it has no advantage whatsoever. And it is Hell to listen to.

So, to "get through" to ten per cent. or less of your listeners, you're supposed to make 90 per cent. of your listeners suffer? Idiotic.

Yet that is the philosophy that was pushed for years by major amateur radio publications. It is starting to lose some ground recently, though -- and about time.

Kevin.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

Another term I've heard was "ear bleed" audio.  Something to avoid, not emulate.  There's really no excuse for this audio for casual, enjoyable listening

Al

A lot depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're in a relatively local QSO, the typical "Barry White" audio is fine. If you're trying to work AM stations on the West coast, the Far East, or in Europe, conditions are marginal and you're only running 100 to 150 watts, running wide-body audio isn't going to help you. Throwing in some audio clipping and/or narrowing of the audio bandwidth can help make the contact. In this case, it makes no difference who else might be listening and causing their ears to bleed, you're not trying to work them. If you're only a listener and not participating in the contact, there is a use for the tuning knob.

Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 04:10:30 AM »

ERRRRRRR! Sounds Hnyellowy!
Tim WA1HnyLR
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »

That reminds me Tim, one night I heard you on the Hairwaves using a carbon mike.

What mike were you using and with what equipment?

Sounded, "interesting." Smiley

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »

A lot depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're in a relatively local QSO, the typical "Barry White" audio is fine. If you're trying to work AM stations on the West coast, the Far East, or in Europe, conditions are marginal and you're only running 100 to 150 watts, running wide-body audio isn't going to help you. Throwing in some audio clipping and/or narrowing of the audio bandwidth can help make the contact. In this case, it makes no difference who else might be listening and causing their ears to bleed, you're not trying to work them. If you're only a listener and not participating in the contact, there is a use for the tuning knob.

Completely agree.  

High fidelity is nice, but I don't mind listening to properly adjusted clipped audio in QSO or just reading the mail.  I guess my tastes are more utilitarian.

In regard to the NASA beep, in the 70s, I heard a few ham SSB operators using a beep at key up.  I'm not certain, but I think there was an article in Ham Radio or 73 describing how to build a transistor oscillator and connect it to the mic input to do that.

Brad
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »

It occurred to me that the "thing" with the NASA and later the "Space Shuttle" sound was not the way it sounded but was the NASA beep!!

People were big into that for a while.

_-_-

The NASA beep was actually developed by Quindar Electronics, formerly in Springfield NJ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quindar_tones

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »

Or the Browning Eagle "ping"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »

Or the Browning Eagle "ping"

In some cases, that was due to the single pole/double throw contacts in the mike switch. When you released the mike button, if the transmit side didn't disconnect fast enough before the receive side connected, you would hear a ping or some type of short feedback. Sometimes the internal antenna change over relay with multiple contacts, caused a similar type of problem.

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »

When I tuned across the guy in this screenshot he appeared to be doing an excellent job of emulating "space shuttle audio" with his tight 2.4k filter and restricted/clipped audio. He was boasting about how his penetrating audio setup has made him famous in various "DX windows" and I have no doubt that lots of stations will remember him as his "whirl-wide" signal appears to be approximately 20k wide. Sometimes narrower is not necessarily better!

Rob W1AEX

* 2.4k wide.jpg (38.74 KB, 906x384 - viewed 342 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »

The Browning pings is due to a slow mute of the receiver. This can be extended or even made adjustable in duration by changing the value of an electrolytic on the receiver B+ line going thru the T/R relay. It occurs during Tx keying not at the end of transmission like a roger beep.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »

Deleted due to formatting completely blowing the message apart.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015