The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:26:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual CRT  (Read 5950 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: April 27, 2016, 01:43:49 AM »

I was given a couple of these 1" diameter 'pixels' as a belated Chrstmas present. I was told they are from a Mitsubishi Diamond Vision.

They have no markings, but there appear to be only one basic kind of this tube. These CRTs use no deflection but are used in a display the same way as lamps or LEDs. The beam is 'focused' to just cover the entire phosphor on the face and look like a 1" circle of light.

They should be pretty when fired up. Has anyone technical data that could help me out?

* Mitsubishi-Diamond-Vision-tubes.jpg (6.8 KB, 212x149 - viewed 621 times.)

* New Bitmap Image.png (23.62 KB, 767x574 - viewed 691 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA2DZT

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »

Are they something that was used in a projection type TV??
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »

No, they would have been used in a 50-70 FT wide outdoor video display such as in a ball park. Three of them make up an RGB pixel, a circle about 3" diameter.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »

Patrick,
Don't know if this will help but maybe offer a clue in your search.

* Color CRT.pdf (530.74 KB - downloaded 345 times.)

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »

My guess is that you'd run it like a standard CRT.

Take a look at any of the smaller B&W TV type specs, and/or the small standard CRTs.
Then fire it up with a variable HV supply, a little cathode resistance to make sure that the max current is not exceeded, use middle of the road voltage for the screen grid, and of course the grid grid will control intensity...

Would love to have a box of them!!

they'd make super cool "indicators" - they could even be used as a peak tuning indicator, etc... power, high voltage...

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »

My guess is that you'd run it like a standard CRT.

Take a look at any of the smaller B&W TV type specs, and/or the small standard CRTs.
Then fire it up with a variable HV supply, a little cathode resistance to make sure that the max current is not exceeded, use middle of the road voltage for the screen grid, and of course the grid grid will control intensity...

Would love to have a box of them!!

they'd make super cool "indicators" - they could even be used as a peak tuning indicator, etc... power, high voltage...

_-_-

Patrick's reply OPCOM seems pretty close. They are not actual CRT's but part of JUMBO screen and are lit up by a command from a computer. 3 of them in a matrix, like it is in an LCD or LED display...and our faithful CRT friends. Red Green Blue in a triangle.

Fred KC4MOP
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »

Here is a link to one of the many internet discussions of Diamond Vision and Sony's Jumbotron, where use of flood-beam CRTs is discussed:
http://inventors.about.com/od/jstartinventions/ss/jumbotron.htm

Bob - NE
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »

The Mitsubishi chapter tells me they are very much like a Jumbotron. I used to repair those in the day and was on the team that completely rebuilt the one at Reunion Arena. Later it was torn down - with destruction of the rebuilt 4-screen Jumbotron that hung 85 FT above the the basketball/hockey floor. It had a 16x12 FT screen size. You could park a car in it and it was like a 20x20 room. The speakers were hidden in it and once when I was fortunately not there they tested the audio system while other engineers were working inside the Jumbotron room. Here is the link to pics I took while working on this. Very early digital pics.
http://www.montagar.com/~patj/bigdisplay.htm

They said they junked it for lack of a BUYER. It was too old for anyone to buy for commercial use, but there are collectors of all things. If they had not been greedy, they could have had it removed for FREE and one of its screens could very well be on the side of a barn on a hill top in Gainesville TX right now.  Well I am probably just mad because it was trashed after 4 men spent two months restoring it. One screen was about perfect, the other three so-so.. as parts were no longer avail.. but as a collector item one screen could be maintained indefinitely.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015