The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:37:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn it's cold !  (Read 12741 times)
KA3VID
Contributing

« on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »

Enuff said !
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »

Lucky you.  You can put on a coat. Cool

It bumped 90 here today...yuk.

Means the 120 deg Summer is even closer. Tongue  Crap.

Even working naked at night (100+) you'll sweat your ass off.  Not good for neither machine tools nor HV!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »

Enuff said !

Well, it is winter and be happy you're not here:

OR HERE:

OR HERE; Hard to see the 20 meter beam on the top of the house:

Soon it will be the dog days of summer. Boy, it's HOT

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »

Minus 8 here in Stonington.  Only 8 degrees less than Barrow AK on the North Slope.  Sea smoke was racing across the ocean down at Stonington Point.  Quite a sight.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KA3VID
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »

Minus 8 here in Stonington.  Only 8 degrees less than Barrow AK on the North Slope.  Sea smoke was racing across the ocean down at Stonington Point.  Quite a sight.

12 degrees here and windy. Perfect antenna hangin' weather!This morning  10 meters is hot though,worked all over Europe with 50 watts of power on slopbucket . Give 'er a shot.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »

I woke up to -8 degrees here in Connecticut. Nothing was moving out there when I took this picture as I was brewing up some early morning coffee. Nasty stuff!

Rob W1AEX

* -8 degrees.jpg (51.25 KB, 640x360 - viewed 454 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KA2DZT

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »

I woke up to -8 degrees here in Connecticut. Nothing was moving out there when I took this picture as I was brewing up some early morning coffee. Nasty stuff!

Rob W1AEX

Nasty stuff??  Which is it, the cold or the coffee??

Fred
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »

Worked part time in a gas station in Hingham, MA right after I graduated from high school, 1968, that year the day after Christmas when I came to work it was -10 at 7 AM. Yes... I remember it well!! It was 50 here this morning and now at noon high 60's in the Bay Area.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »

-12.1 on the Davis Instruments station at 700AM this morning at this QTH. Wind chill was -24. Truck did not want to start up this morning.   Coldest day I ever experienced was a on ski trip to upstate NY. Stayed in Elizabethtown, NY and couldn't start the car that morning.  Thermometer said -32F. For some reason this morning felt worse.  Two days from now it will be in the 50s.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 05:48:33 PM »

my coldest ever was Jan 13, 1972 in Great Falls, Mt. it was actual -53 deg F ... took me years to like cold wx again

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W4EWH

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 08:44:12 PM »

Minus 8 here in Stonington.  Only 8 degrees less than Barrow AK on the North Slope. 

I read somewhere that when Billy Mitchell led the team that built the telegraph lines in Alaska back around 1900, the first thing he did was to confiscate all the thermometers his men had with them.

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »

-26  at 710 AM.

klc

I cudda moved to FLA in the 00s.

What? Me worry?
WB5IRI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »

Some folks ask me why I live in the South. What can I say. It got up to 75 today, and I worked outside in my shirt sleeves.
Doug
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »

It is so cold here that the telephone cable , the big black multi wire covered deal which is suspended on a steel cable is lying on the ground. The cold caused the steel cable to contract so much it couldn't stand the strain and popped. Even though it is about 1/4 mile away I heard it go. Went and looked in the morning. I heard a similar sound last night. The main cable though which goes underground at that pole while lying on the ground didn't rupture and must still be working. I would phone it in but having tried in years past I don't have the patience for dealing with them. So I emailed a former Bell employee (aka my brother) and figured he would know who to tell before the snowplow wingman wipes out a few hundred customers phone service. It is right in the plow's normal path but not on the paved portion of the road. It was probably installed without sufficient slack in the hanging steel cable however it has been there a few years so that is not a good sign. Mr Gore , you lied! It is busted though, not just fallen down. It is really that cold!
donVe3LYX

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
W4EWH

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 02:30:53 PM »

It is so cold here that the telephone cable ... is lying on the ground.

I would phone it in but having tried in years past I don't have the patience for dealing with them. So I emailed a former Bell employee (aka my brother) and figured he would know who to tell before the snowplow wingman wipes out a few hundred customers phone service.

The trick is to call the electric company and report a wire laying on the ground. You'll get a much quicker response.

Bill W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »

It is so cold here that the telephone cable ... is lying on the ground.

I would phone it in but having tried in years past I don't have the patience for dealing with them. So I emailed a former Bell employee (aka my brother) and figured he would know who to tell before the snowplow wingman wipes out a few hundred customers phone service.

The trick is to call the electric company and report a wire laying on the ground. You'll get a much quicker response.

Bill W4EWH

I tried that route years ago. Electric companies won't diddle around with a telephone cable or any other cable if it's laying on the ground or dangling off a pole.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »

It hasn't been fixed so I guess my bro didnt take the hint. I tried to phone but after 10 minutes still hadn't found the repair number in the front of the book and gave the idea of calling the heave ho. They don't care anyway and it would take a half hour of stupid questions and, are you sure, s to get even a moderate response. I am at a stage in life I don't have the patience for such nonsense.
donVe3LX

* boken.jpg (29.51 KB, 274x206 - viewed 466 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »

I think I remember from my pipeline days, 1/4 inch Shrinkage or expansion per 100 lineal feet per degree Farenheit for steel.

Same approx. formula for copper-weld antenna wire.  Never over tighten your wire on a hot summer day.

Many a length of pipe that was cut the day before was too short until the sun came up to warm up the pipe and get back to the previous day's length when making a tie-in.

I've also seen torches played on joints to expand them when only a few tenths of an inch spacing were off for the critical gap necessssary for a welded joint.
... And the subsequent cracked stringer bead if you weren't quick enough to get enough rod in to add strength.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »

I worked a job repairing all the mobile radio problems for a crew reconductoring a 25 mile 115 KV transmission circuit, the guys would "commute" to work via helicopter, 4 on a skid on each side of the chopper, fly in next to a tower, hover while two got off.

Adjusting the sag for each conductor was critical, they had a laser to measure the sag between the towers and a calculator that took a few input variables including the ambient air temperature to calculate the allowable sag.
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »

If you think it's cold you don't know what cold is. Here are two sayings that will change your mind, first from Alaska: When it's 20 below it's warm, 40 below it's cold and 60 below it's DAMN cold. The second from Russia translates as: In Siberia there is no such thing as cold, only inadequate clothing.

As for me not too far south of CWA Pete, I'm glad the Arctic vortex has moved away. 10 degrees with howling wind that gave a chill of -18 was just too much, or too little depending on how you look at it... ugh. You know the phrase colder than a witch's tit, well let me tell you it was so cold it froze and fell off. The last I saw the poor girl she was freezing a rearward body part off out there looking for it.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »

7 degrees in Stow, Ohio this morning. Forecasting 50 tomorrow!!!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »

Humans and cats (ok, and dogs) are not the only things to suffer..  Machines have a hard time, especially engines needing circulating oil when they are cold and the oil is thick. When shut down hot, the oil is thinner and drains down to a sump instead of sticking to the parts, but when cold it can take its sweet time getting back to every part of an engine or other machine. Anyone have a noisy startup on their car/truck when it's near feezing?

I got a rude revelation about my nice E150 van "The Beast" with the SOHC 4.6L V8. I've been taking it to a quick change oil place and all seemed well however once the weather turned cold I noticed the top end would make noise for 2-3 seconds (when you don't like engine noise, it seems more like 10 seconds!).

I have been chasing this noisy start problem for a few months worried about the engine and some guru told me that I need to use the Ford one. I Called the service writer I always work with when the Beast has to go to the dealership - and he said yes I must use a good anti-drainback filter and the Ford one is designed for this exactly.

Funny I always watch like a hawk that the quick-oil place used the right oil. Never though about the filter much. I called them to ask what they have been using and they said they went to a 'new top quality filter'. a few months ago. It was a brand I never heard of and don't see on the web. Yeesh. Bet it saves them a nickel on every job.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015