The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:23:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Ranger - success!!!  (Read 2344 times)
N9axl
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »

I put this all back together, plugged it in, tuned it up, and success!! It tuned up per the manual with about 2.5 ma of buffer current and 120 ma of plate current.  I saw no grid current but my wattmeter said about 10 watts of output. Maybe a faulty or dirty switch?

Ok not a total success, but it functioned, albeit at very low power, with no fuses blowing, no smoke, no drama.  I have not adjusted the HV bleeder yet which is at about halfway. 

Have to think through what the possible issues are. At this point a variac and checking some voltages is in order. Im thinking the driver pot.. Ugh...
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:01:29 AM »

May I suggest the following Generic buffer/Driver circuit.

Most of the driver pots are forced to dissipate too much power and generally speaking, the amount of screen voltage available is too high.

Phil - AC0OB

* Generic Buffer Driver Circuit.pdf (41.55 KB - downloaded 169 times.)

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
N9axl
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »

Thanks.  I will keep this in mind. The goal is to get this working in the stock configuration before I start doing mods, but this makes quite a bit of sense. I am being told my lack of grid current is probably an issue somewhere around this circuit so that's what I will check next.  I'm just happy my power supply issues seem fixed.  Basically, as we all have figured out, this was built with underpowered components probably to keep costs low so there are some problems.

If I ever have the ambition and time I may actually just get a Ranger, strip it to the chassis and rebuild it with all the mods, but for now this is fine.

If people are interested (or just want a chuckle about my soldering skills) I have made a youtube video. I have never seen one of the underside of a Viking Ranger -- they are mostly demos of operating units -- so I thought someone might want to see it.  I am sure someone could do a really good one but all I have is a cell phone camera. 

https://youtu.be/iLp3pDsxZ2k

https://youtu.be/C1vsY7A3fvA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015