The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:50:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters HT-9 Plate Coils?  (Read 6194 times)
kg7bz
Contributing

« on: August 27, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »

I'm going to be working on getting an HT-9 running again. I have a good assortment of Oscillator and Doubler modules but I only have a plate coil for 160M and it's output link has been modified. Does anybody have any info on the plate coils? Even some pictures would help so I could measure them and build up some replacements.

Thanks,
August KG7BZ
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »

You may want to check with Gerry, W1ZB.  He restored an HT-9 that he got from Bill-W2DGB. 

I have an HT-9, but mine is lacking all the coils.  I will figure out how to design my own when that project surfaces. 

I had both the pre-war and post war version.  I kept the post war version and gave my pre-war version to Joe-N3IBX.   If Gerry cannot help you, maybe check with Joe-N3IBX.   

Good luck,

Joe-W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »

Here's some previous forum info on the HT-9: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=20091.0

And, here's a thread on ARF that shows some pictures of the HT-9 coils: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=248212

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:41:39 PM »

Excellent! Those pictures will help a lot. I'll share what info I figure out from them. I have Oscillator modules for 160, 80, 40 Meters and Oscillator & Doubler modules for 20 and 10 Meters. My HT-9 is the post-war version.

August KG7BZ
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »

HT-9 is a wonderful transmitter even with those pesky coil changes. Evrything else is done with a rotary switch. Hope you have the other coil set also, because they set up the crystal positions for straight, doubling, etc. however it is not rocket science just interesting! I had at one time two of them. I did not want to let them go but realized I would never use them due to how my station evolved and definitely wanted someone to enjoy them! Four 6L6s in PPP as a modulator has got to be really sweet setup, nice low Z like that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »

Hi August,
I have had mine (pre war black) for about 15 years now. Love it.
I had to wind my own 160 osc coil and for the plate coil I used a piece of Coil Stock with some turns wrapped around it. Plate current is right where it should be. I have gotten very good audio reports on it.
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »

I was lucky to find some computer guy on ebay who was selling one of the oscillator coil modules and it turned out that he had a whole box of the oscillator and doubler modules. With the 160M oscillator & 10M oscillator and doubler modules the rig came with and these, I have a complete set for 160, 80, 40, 20 & 10 M. The rig also came with a 160 M plate coil so I have a pattern for the jack bar. Now I just have to build some plate coils.

August KG7BZ
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »

Hi August,
If you have an extra 160 meter osc. coil I would be interested in purchasing it. The one I have is one I home brewed.
Thanks
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

For those that have the coils, it may be helpful to a lot of us to measure the inductance of the various coils and post them.  Sure it could be figured out, but knowing that would make it pretty easy to wind some.  I was thinking to maybe wind some on some cores of the rig mix to keep the size small and also keep the turns down.

Joe-GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K7LYF

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:14 PM »

I physically measured several coils for Carl KM1H.....I can not find my original data. I tried to email Carl, but his email addy is no longer valid. If some on has Carl's email addy I would appreciate it you could ask him to send me an email...........n7qmm20atykwcdotnet

mike
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

Hi August,
If you have an extra 160 meter osc. coil I would be interested in purchasing it. The one I have is one I home brewed.
Thanks
Carl
WA1KPD

Hi Carl,
I don't have an extra 160 meter osc coil. The one I have was made from a 10m doubler, the inductor and capacitor were changed. I do have an extra 40 meter osc module that was made from another 10M doubler. I also have several extra sets of 10m osc and doublers. I'm not quite ready yet to let any go, first I want to get the rig running and document the modules so others have the data. I'll also post pictures of the insides of the modules. Then I'll be ready to let modules go.

From the pictures referenced earlier, I think I've figured out the approximate dimensions of the windings on the original 160 and 80 meter plate coils. Testing will confirm that. My 160 meter coil was made from coil stock and is not exactly like the original, although it has a B & W 5B jack strip that has the correct connections.

August KG7BZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015