The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BC-696/ARC-5: AM phone conversion & power supply?  (Read 24565 times)
KC8MWG

« on: June 28, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »

How difficult would it be to adapt a BC-696/ARC-5 transmitter (3.0-4.0 MHz) to AM phone use? The original modulator/dynamotor units seem to be hard to find. Also, is there any information out there on how to build a power supply for these transmitters?
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:16 PM »

You would need to make a modulator, the command sets used a separate modulator which from what I have seen is difficult to locate. The connectors are not easy to locate either. Then you would need a power supply and this was a  low power set too. I had actually thought of doing what you are thinking of and the difficulties just mentioned made me decide not to.

A better choice would be an ART-13, this would give you a 100 to 150 watts of carrier. This was also an aviation set made to run off a dynamotor. I have several and run them off a dynamotor but building a power supply isn't to difficult.

Henry Rogers, WA7YBS, has some good ifo on his website about the ART-13, you might take a look at that. HTH......

* ART-13.JPG (104.87 KB, 1024x558 - viewed 535 times.)
KC8MWG

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »

Only problem is, I already have the BC-696, and am on a tight budget. Unless you can find me an ART-13 for $50 or less (I paid $45 for the BC-696), it's just not feasible. At least if I have to build a modulator and power supply (which is what I figured I would have to do), I can spread the cost out over time. What I was wondering is if there was information available that would tell me HOW to build a modulator and power supply SPECIFICALLY for the BC-696.
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »

An inexpensive and easy way to build a modulator can be done using this link:

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/modheising.htm

Instead of using the modulation transformer, you could backwards feed an 8 ohm audio transformer with a regular PA amp.  I've done this with a transmitter before and it worked great.  Use the high-impedance side of the transformer to feed the Heising circuit on the right. 

Plus, the modulator would be all solid state.

Jon
KA1TDQ

It’s not just values, it’s business.
N3GTE

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »

You might want to have a look here:https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ARC-5radio/files
A lot of good info for the SCR274N sets.
The BC-696 was originally designed to be screen modulated. If your has the original power connector on the back you make a socket to fit it using molex pins and bondo.
Most of those old guys need a good cleaning to get them the operate well, good stable output.

GL
Terry N3GTE
W1FYO

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »

I have been plate modulating myarc5 transmitters using a series modulator  I built 6 years ago .  The article and schematic are located
here : http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=27856.msg212690#msg212690.
 It uses hi voltage power mosfets which  are still available  relatively cheap . When powering the arc5's ,
 you need to regulate the oscillator b+ to around 210 volts . I'm using a string of 5 watt zeners  for this. The pot for adjusting 
the modulated b+ can set to a range of voltages .I found 450 volts is good value for head room and isn't too hard on the 1625's.
 Typically get 40 watts of rf output with my sets using this modulator . I have checked in to the old military radio net on 3885
Saturday mornings with my BC457 and this modulator getting good reports.
73's Bob W1FYO
KC8MWG

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »

I have been plate modulating myarc5 transmitters using a series modulator  I built 6 years ago .  The article and schematic are located
 It uses hi voltage power mosfets which  are still available  relatively cheap . When powering the arc5's ,
 you need to regulate the oscillator b+ to around 210 volts . I'm using a string of 5 watt zeners  for this. The pot for adjusting 
the modulated b+ can set to a range of voltages .I found 450 volts is good value for head room and isn't too hard on the 1625's.
 Typically get 40 watts of rf output with my sets using this modulator . I have checked in to the old military radio net on 3885
73's Bob W1FYO

Are you using separate power supplies for the modulator and the ARC-5? Do you have schematics for your PSU's? I have the 1959 and 1961 issues of the ARRL Handbook, but neither one has anything about converting/adapting surplus equipment. Surprised me, since that was arounf the time when they were fairly popular, I think.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »

I have been plate modulating myarc5 transmitters using a series modulator  I built 6 years ago .  The article and schematic are located
 It uses hi voltage power mosfets which  are still available  relatively cheap . When powering the arc5's ,
 you need to regulate the oscillator b+ to around 210 volts . I'm using a string of 5 watt zeners  for this. The pot for adjusting  
73's Bob W1FYO

Are you using separate power supplies for the modulator and the ARC-5? Do you have schematics for your PSU's? I have the 1959 and 1961 issues of the ARRL Handbook, but neither one has anything about converting/adapting surplus equipment. Surprised me, since that was arounf the time when they were fairly popular, I think.

QST ran several articles on the ARC-5 back in the 50's. However, your best bet would be CQ Magazine which ran tons of articles on surplus equipment and even created 2 or 3 surplus equipment handbooks.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KC8MWG

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:19 PM »

I have been plate modulating myarc5 transmitters using a series modulator  I built 6 years ago .  The article and schematic are located
 It uses hi voltage power mosfets which  are still available  relatively cheap . When powering the arc5's ,
 you need to regulate the oscillator b+ to around 210 volts . I'm using a string of 5 watt zeners  for this. The pot for adjusting  
73's Bob W1FYO

Are you using separate power supplies for the modulator and the ARC-5? Do you have schematics for your PSU's? I have the 1959 and 1961 issues of the ARRL Handbook, but neither one has anything about converting/adapting surplus equipment. Surprised me, since that was around the time when they were fairly popular, I think.

QST ran several articles on the ARC-5 back in the 50's. However, your best bet would be CQ Magazine which ran tons of articles on surplus equipment and even created 2 or 3 surplus equipment handbooks.
I downloaded the manuals, but didn't find them to be very helpful. In fact, the only thing I found for the BC-696 was on how to convert it into a rather low-power linear amplifier. Are the old CQ magazines available for download?

To be honest, I tend to do best on projects of this nature when I have a parts list, a good schematic, and a detailed set of step-by-step instructions ("Cut wire 'a'. Solder jumper wire from lug 'b' to socket 'c'", etc.). Maybe I am being unrealistic...?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:07:42 AM »

73's Bob W1FYO

Are you using separate power supplies for the modulator and the ARC-5? Do you have schematics for your PSU's? I have the 1959 and 1961 issues of the ARRL Handbook, but neither one has anything about converting/adapting surplus equipment. Surprised me, since that was around the time when they were fairly popular, I think.

I downloaded the manuals, but didn't find them to be very helpful. In fact, the only thing I found for the BC-696 was on how to convert it into a rather low-power linear amplifier. Are the old CQ magazines available for download?

Like QST, CQ Magazine is covered by Copyright. CQ has authorized HamCall ( http://hamcall.net/cqcgi ) to provide downloads on a subscription basis.

To be honest, I tend to do best on projects of this nature when I have a parts list, a good schematic, and a detailed set of step-by-step instructions ("Cut wire 'a'. Solder jumper wire from lug 'b' to socket 'c'", etc.). Maybe I am being unrealistic...?

On lots of this old stuff, you sometimes have to wing it with just piecemeal information.

KA2DZT

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 04:04:18 AM »

Pete,

Any idea which CQ magazine this info is in?  I have some old CQs, I might have the one he needs.

Fred
W1FYO

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 08:25:33 AM »

Check this link out for conversion info. a lot of useful info.

www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/Military/PDF%20files/.../command_sets.PDF

My approach is is different from the above . Back in the fifties silicon power rectifiers were not well known or available.
So hams had to rewire the filaments for 12.6 vac a, a common practice. My psu runs 25 vdc to the filaments and control relay.
No rewiring necessary. I think the command sets  were intended to be screen modulated so plate modulation may be a little stressful.
I had to replace the 20 ohm series resistor/fuse to the tank circuit which blew out on voice peaks. Not a problem with the arc5's which are shunt fed
B+ and have no series resistor.
Hope this helps.
73's Bob W1FYO   
WB4AM

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »

How difficult would it be to adapt a BC-696/ARC-5 transmitter (3.0-4.0 MHz) to AM phone use? The original modulator/dynamotor units seem to be hard to find. Also, is there any information out there on how to build a power supply for these transmitters?

Don't know if this is useful for your particular project, but there is a Dynamotor for sale on QTH.com.  Listing #1206638

Also have a look at Listing #1207284

Ken
w7fox

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »

Getting command sets on the air is about as difficult as building your own transmitter from scratch.  Unless you can get all the cables and ancillary equipment (next to impossible) you need to build your own power supply, t/r switching, and modulator.  You really need to want it.  Anything less is not going to make it.  If you want to be a home brewer, this is a good place to start, but step by step instructions aren't going to work, there is too much to learn.

I started my ham journey in 1964 as a 12 year old with an 80 meter AN/ARC-5.  I still have it and use it regularly on CW.  There is a project in an old 1958 (I think) QST for a cathode modulator that just plugs into the key jack that I tried when I got my General at 13 years old.  It have great sounding audio, but didn't put out much power.

I hope this information is helpful, good luck.

Best regards,
Chris W7FOX
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »

Pete,

Any idea which CQ magazine this info is in?  I have some old CQs, I might the one he needs.

Fred

Have no clue. Go here  http://hamcall.net/cqcgi and search the CQ Magazine archives for model, project, etc.

W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »

The 1964 ARRL handbook has a section in the High-Frequency Transmitter chapter titled "Converting Surplus Transmitters For Novice Use" beginning on page 217.  A power supply and crystal oscillator are shown as well as all the instructions for modifications.  It doesn't include a modulator, but adding one would be relatively simple once you decide on which type you want to use; screen, plate or cathode, etc.
VE3AJM

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »

I have the published for CQ mag "Surplus Conversion Handbook" here. There is an article on building a modulator for the ARC-5 transmitter. It uses a direct coupled cathode follower audio driver 6SN7, and a pair of 807 modulators in class B. It was all built on a stripped down SCR-274-N chassis. It doesn't show what the original CQ article this was from. There are some power supply projects there too to sub for the PE-103.

I can scan and send you the info/article if you're interested.

Al VE3AJM
N3GTE

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 08:15:13 PM »

Here's a good starting point to get the tx in good shape. I tend to shy away from the Surplus Conversion Manuals unless your is hacked up.

http://www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/Military/DaveStinsonARC-5Article.pdf

Terry N3GTE
KC8MWG

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »

Yeah, it's been hacked, all right. 'Way back in 1948, in fact! A date in that year and the callsign of the ham who owned it (and presumably did the mods) was scratched on the inside of the bottom cover...

Can you tell from the photos if it is still a transmitter, or if it was modded into something else (like a VFO or amplifier)?

k3msb

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »

It has definitely been moded, and my guess would be a VFO.

The top of the chassis is missing the roller inductor and associated supports (for antenna matching) and the antenna relay.  The antenna connector is obviously not original.  The holes in the front panel look to be original, used to mount the roller inductor and relay.    The antenna coupler knob is toast, but the shaft and gear connection behind the panel looks OK.   You'll have to check the transformer and capacitors inside the top shield for modifications.

The under side of the chassis is missing the relay and associated wiring.  While you'd have to remove the obviously "new" components to reutrn it to a transmitter (mostly with new 1/2W resistors and bypass capacitors),  the underside looks to be pretty good otherwise.   I can't tell if the heaters have been rewired for a different voltage.  Simple enough to fix though.

The other plus is that the power rectipcle is stock.  The bad news is that stand alone male plugs are like hen's teeth to find.   The good news is that you can cheaply by pins to mate with the individual holes.  When I did my first ARC-5 restoration I used individual pins and made a small cable attached to a barrier strip, then off to the power supply.  Why a barrier strip?  So I could rewire the cable for either ARC-5 or SCR-274N transmitters.

As N3GTE pointed out, Dave's article is the way to go to answer your power questions.  Most of us run the power supply setup Dave recomments.  It's simply the same resistor network that is found in the modulator unit.  I think 3 or 4 resistors.    I have several ARC-5 transmitters and an SCR-274N system and the power supply schema works fine.   

Yes, you'll have to build an external modulator for AM.   

While the unit is very restorable, but I recommend you get the parts in hand first.  Get on the ARC-5 reflector and see what you can dig up.

That's the best I can do from memory here at the office......

73 Mark K3MSB

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
KC8MWG

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »

It has definitely been moded, and my guess would be a VFO.

The top of the chassis is missing the roller inductor and associated supports (for antenna matching) and the antenna relay.  The antenna connector is obviously not original.  The holes in the front panel look to be original, used to mount the roller inductor and relay.    The antenna coupler knob is toast, but the shaft and gear connection behind the panel looks OK.   You'll have to check the transformer and capacitors inside the top shield for modifications.

The under side of the chassis is missing the relay and associated wiring.  While you'd have to remove the obviously "new" components to reutrn it to a transmitter (mostly with new 1/2W resistors and bypass capacitors),  the underside looks to be pretty good otherwise.   I can't tell if the heaters have been rewired for a different voltage.  Simple enough to fix though.

The other plus is that the power rectipcle is stock.  The bad news is that stand alone male plugs are like hen's teeth to find.   The good news is that you can cheaply by pins to mate with the individual holes.  When I did my first ARC-5 restoration I used individual pins and made a small cable attached to a barrier strip, then off to the power supply.  Why a barrier strip?  So I could rewire the cable for either ARC-5 or SCR-274N transmitters.

As N3GTE pointed out, Dave's article is the way to go to answer your power questions.  Most of us run the power supply setup Dave recomments.  It's simply the same resistor network that is found in the modulator unit.  I think 3 or 4 resistors.    I have several ARC-5 transmitters and an SCR-274N system and the power supply schema works fine.   

Yes, you'll have to build an external modulator for AM.   

While the unit is very restorable, but I recommend you get the parts in hand first.  Get on the ARC-5 reflector and see what you can dig up.

That's the best I can do from memory here at the office......

73 Mark K3MSB

Entirely possible it was modded into a VFO. It came with a short cable with a connector that matches the one on the front panel at one and , and an RCA connector at the other end.

Since it has already been hacked, any harm in replacing the military socket with an octal? Or not a good idea? I have heard that was a common mod.

What exactly is the "Arc 5 reflector" you mentioned?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 12:19:22 AM »

This ancient article shows how to convert the MD-7 modulator to ham use. Even if you don't have one, there is a working plan that makes 60W.

People have used an ARC transmitter chassis with the two beam power tube sockets and made up a modulator on it to match the rest of the sets. Purists may howl if you defile a restorable set though.. I think I have an MD-7 modulation transformer if you are really interested. It's a little smaller than the ART-13 one.

For the B+ supply, the original dynamotor DY-8 or DY-33 output spec is 575V@160mA cont., 540V@250mA intermittent.
A list of various dynamotor electrical specifications is also attached.

This link has more info on modulators and power for the command sets including a design for cathode follower drive of the modulator grids in the "special class B" arrangement:
http://www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/Military/PDF%20files/ARC5/command_sets.PDF

* MD-7 project.pdf (2183.56 KB - downloaded 228 times.)
* DynaMotorList_20090816.pdf (39.54 KB - downloaded 1302 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 12:42:06 AM »

I've been working with the guy to build a good PSU for that TX, send him some repair stuff for it, and set up a high-level plate modulator for it down the road. Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k3msb

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »

Since it has already been hacked, any harm in replacing the military socket with an octal? Or not a good idea? I have heard that was a common mod.
Ha!  Now there's a good question to start the internet version of a food fight!  Grin

Personally, I view your unit as restorable and would not remove the rear connector.  I'd try and restore it to stock configuration.  Note that's my opinion.

That being said,  it's your property so you have the right to do what you wish.   If you have no intention of restoring it, then yeah, get rid of the connector and go with an octal socket.

What exactly is the "Arc 5 reflector" you mentioned?

It's an email based newsgroup.  Very nice group of fellows dedicated to all things ARC-5 (and a lot of udder stuff too.....).

http://www.signalone.com/arc5/list/faq.html

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
k3msb

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 07:55:49 AM »

I've been working with the guy to build a good PSU for that TX, send him some repair stuff for it, and set up a high-level plate modulator for it down the road. Wink

73DG

Hi Dennis

At a fester in May I picked up an ARC-5 TX, SCR-274N RX, and HB PS with switching relay for the princely sum of $55.  The primary reasons I bought them were the original tuning knob on the receiver and the male plug (can it really be?) for the ARC-5 TX.   

The HB PS was a very nice construction job with meters etc, and it looked to be built onto an ARC-5 base.  I get the unit home and as I was putting it on the "pile" I noted it had about 6 tubes therein  Closer inspection showed a few extra transformers aside from the power transformer and filter choke.   I'm wondering if it's a PS and HB modulator / speech amplifier!    I started to take it apart and then stopped -- can't violate my "only one project at a time" rule.....   and I'm still working on the HQ-129-X !!     

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015