The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchased a "project" Lettine 242 6 meter Transmitter but need some help...  (Read 15383 times)
n4joy

« on: November 29, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »

Hello!  I recently purchased a proverbial basket case Lettine 242 6 meter transmitter.  This poor devil has suffered from an over zealous ham with a 200w soldering iron and reels of solder.  It also looks like the transformer had exploded and was replaced (I will purchase a new one).  Almost every resistor and capacitor will have to be replaced--wiring is also in poor shape and will be replaced as well.  Anyway, I plan to rebuild it from ground up and am comfortable doing so; but I have one major problem:  I can't find a schematic anywhere!  I purchased a schematic for the 2 meter AM/CW version but am not sure how the 6 meter and 2 meter Lettine 242 differ.  The schematic is also very hard to read (copy of a copy of a copy).

There seems to be subtle differences between the 6 and 2 meter version but I am not sure--what I have was likely modified.

Can anyone please assist?  Schematic would be great but I will settle for some photos if need be.

Many thanks!

Chris, N4JOY

* 100_2298.JPG (1552.3 KB, 2848x2144 - viewed 709 times.)

* 100_2297.JPG (1528.62 KB, 2848x2144 - viewed 658 times.)

* 100_2299.JPG (1582.12 KB, 2848x2144 - viewed 609 times.)
n4joy

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »

No one owns a Lettine 242?  Looks like I have a rare bird.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »

C,

You might try placing an add in Electric Radio and see if anyone has information.  You doo subscribe to ER, don't you??

klc

What? Me worry?
n4joy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »

Electronic Radio, what is that?  Joking of course.  I am guilty of not being a subscriber but that is not a bad idea.  Luckily, the transmitter is rather simple but the schematic I purchased from Surplus Sales of Nebraska is a poor copy and only pertains to the 2 meter AM version--there seems to be subtle differences between the 2 meter and 6 meter version.  I was studying the transmitter last night and believe I can somewhat make sense out of the hand drawn schematic--even a photo of the interior would be extremely helpful at this stage.  I am particularly having trouble with the circuits at the 12AT7 because the schematic is difficult to read--I'll try to do my best. 
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »

Chris,

I don't have a schematic/manual for the 242 6 meter but I do have the transmitter and I can take some photos this weekend.  I haven't had this one on the bench yet but I presume it is stock.  I picked up the 242 along with a 262 combined 6 and 2 meter unit and a 240 HF unit last year.  The 240 is on my bench now for a complete rebuild and I will implement Jim Hanlon's (ER article) link neutralizing scheme in it after it is rebuilt.  If the VHF units are built like the HF unit the layout is pretty bad from an RF perspective and the original factory workmanship is really bad.  They look like something designed and built as an early ham project.

I am heading upstate today to pick up a Lakeshore Phasemaster IIB and Band hopper VFO but I will get the 242 photos to you either later tonight or tomorrow.

Rodger WQ9E
n4joy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:52:27 AM »

THANK YOU, Roger!  You don't know how much help that will be!  I'm glad you mentioned the workmanship matter.  I was shocked and assumed some ham went crazy with a soldering iron--when I now firmly believe this is how it left the factory!  There are no terminal strips just "floating" point to point wiring (e.g., twisitng leads togteher and soldering).  It does look like a quick homebrew.  Nevertheless, it is a neat transmitter that needs some TLC.    

The final for the 2 meter version is a 6146 according to the schematic but mine came with a 2E26--both would probably work fine for 6 meters.

MANY, MANY, MANY thanks!  Smiley  This is one of the last radios on my bench and I look forward to using it!

Chris, N4JOY

WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »

Chris,

I believe the underside of my 242 is pretty much original with probably a few replacement capacitors.  The photo file size is 5.6 Mb, let me know if your email will object to that size and if that is within your account limits I will send it to you, otherwise I can shrink it but the full res is probably the most useful for what you need.

Attached is a reduced size version so others can see the "workmanship" of the Lettine line and I think the VHF unit is marginally better than the HF (model 240).  I haven't had the 262 (6 and 2 meter dual band) out of the case yet.

* Full chassis reduced resolution.jpg (2473.6 KB, 3504x2336 - viewed 574 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »

Chris,

I believe the underside of my 242 is pretty much original with probably a few replacement capacitors.  The photo file size is 5.6 Mb, let me know if your email will object to that size and if that is within your account limits I will send it to you, otherwise I can shrink it but the full res is probably the most useful for what you need.

If you send the jpg to me I can reduce the file size without reducing the resolution

I'm good in QRZ, Al
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »

Thanks Al,

I can force the Canon DPP software to output a smaller size at the native resolution but you still lose some detail.  The original RAW file is around 12 Mb and the full res medium quality jpeg is 5.6 mB. 

Rodger WQ9E
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »

Thanks Al,

I can force the Canon DPP software to output a smaller size at the native resolution but you still lose some detail.  The original RAW file is around 12 Mb and the full res medium quality jpeg is 5.6 mB. 

Send it - I can do it without loss of resolution
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »

I am heading upstate today to pick up a Lakeshore Phasemaster IIB and Band hopper VFO but I will get the 242 photos to you either later tonight or tomorrow.

Roger,

As an FYI, I have a Band Hopper VFO. Had to restore the dial (portion was totally unreadable), and added an X-Lock kit to it. This VFO is fantastic, and with X-Lock the drift stops after about 60 seconds turned on. I have an image file of that dial around here somewhere. I restored two Band Hoppers where both needed a new dial printed, cut out, and glued onto the metal disk.

Back to the Lettine 242..... I like the triode connected 6V6 modulators.

Jim
Wd5JKO
WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »

Hi Jim,

When you get a chance I would love to have a copy of the dial image scale. I have a pair of band hoppers, one dial has about half of the lettering missing and the others appears OK and I plan to scan it but given the condition of the first I am not sure it won't have paint disintegration during the removal process.  The X lock kit sounds interesting.

Rodger WQ9E
n4joy

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »

Roger,

This is great!  There is no problem sending a large file to my e-mail provided on this forum.  The low resolution picture you posted already helped me solve a problem, so the larger file will be invaluable.  I should be able to get this transmitter working in the next few days.  I'm still amazed by the workmanship or lack there of.  I guess these units were inexpensive for the time.

Al,

Thanks also for your offer to assist with the file.  The e-mail address provided for me on this forum is correct.

I can't thank everyone enough!

Chris
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »

Back in the late 50's/early 60's, there were a number of VHF "garage-type" manufacturers popping up all over the metro areas. Build a few, to maybe a few hundred, depending on what it was, and then they disappeared. The market was already changing away from AM.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
n4joy

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »

I am just providing an update on my Lettine 242 project.  I finally got around to working on her and it was an experience.  I originally planned to completely re-wire the unit, but I simply replaced any rotted/bad wiring with new cloth repro wire I had on the bench.  All the usual components (caps/resistors) were replaced with exception to the micas and two ceramic caps.  I followed my poor schematic reprint as best as possible and was aided with the photo provided by WQ9E.  I added a terminal strip at the power supply and tried to neaten things up.  

I had to remove TONS of old solder!  The original Thordarson transformer 1200VCT was bad so I purchased a Hammond 282X (1000VCT)).  The manual states "filament requirements for the 242 are 6.3 volts at 4.55 amp, and 450 volts at 200 to 250ma".  I've accounted for a 40-50 volt drop with the 5u4 and am hoping the 282X will get me close.  Folks say Hammond runs about 10-15% high.

The design of the Lettine is rather unusual and the workmanship is interesting.  I look forward to installing the transformer and bringing her up slowly.

* 100_2525.JPG (1560.22 KB, 2848x2144 - viewed 646 times.)
n4joy

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 08:07:57 PM »

Almost forgot... I had to disassemble the meter as the glass was loose.  I cleaned the front panel and controls--it looks fairly decent.  The cabinet is in good shape as well.

* 100_2526.JPG (1560.79 KB, 2848x2144 - viewed 628 times.)
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 09:45:11 PM »

Chris,

Looks nice - inside & out.  Somehow I missed this thread in 2014.  Keep us posted.

Brad
N9axl
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 10:59:13 PM »

I have never owned a Lettine although I know where one is for sale and am tempted.  What I understood about the manufacturer was that he was in upstate New York at Valley Stream in the 50s and, indeed, had a small garage manufacture operation.  He did the work himself by hand and it was generally considered to be of good quality. It was almost a to- order  type deal although he had a few units on hand. He made a VFO, a am/cw rig, and one or two other items. I just googled this now and found nothing but a patent app for some kind of missile control system - so my take is he was some kind of local tinkerer/inventor type selling radios on the side. I attach an ad from QST from 1957. The reference to the willingness to make rigs for custom frequencies into the VHF range indicates he had desire to sell to govt I would guess.  A wonderful example of the type of private enterprise and manufacture that has long since disappeared...sigh.

I can't find the reference to where I know this from

* image.jpg (724.36 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 600 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 02:02:37 AM »

The same unchanged 240 ad ran from 1950 to 61 in QST and CQ. By late 61 or early 62, they disappeared.

Valley Stream, NY is just down the road from Kennedy International Airport on Long Island.

62 Berkeley St. below

* 62-berkley-st.jpg (340.01 KB, 708x772 - viewed 474 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1vtp

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »

The same unchanged 240 ad ran from 1950 to 61 in QST and CQ. By late 61 or early 62, they disappeared.

Valley Stream, NY is just down the road from Kennedy International Airport on Long Island.

62 Berkeley St. below

Wonder if the shop was in that small garage in the back or the guy had a spare bedroom in that tiny house
n4joy

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:50 PM »

Interesting information!  Sorry to go a little off topic... but my Google research suggests that Lettine Radio was run by a father and son: Anthony and Howard Lettine. They lived at the Berkley Street address as early as 1930.  Anthony Lettine passed away in 1980 and Howard Lettine passed away in 2008.  They appear to be inventors as N9AXL indicated; I found several patents attributed to them.  

Howard's call was W2NJT!
N9axl
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:50 PM »

Yes. Those were the names I have. It would be interesting to see if there were any business records, manuals, etc. somewhere. I would expect they have been long since tossed, but having the original design papers for these radios would be useful. I wonder if a craigslist ad in that area would be useful in that regard?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

If you subscribe to ancestry.com, they might be able to dig up some relatives.   Could be paperwork handed down.

There are a couple other websites you can dig relatives up on for free as well.   Craigslist  as already mentioned,  also can be a good one.

Interesting story.   Kind of cool,  seeing the house,  then close the eyes and try and picture the dad and son working with the view occasionally blocked by the old car.

--Shane
KD6VXI
n4joy

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

Well, the Hammond 282X (1000 VCT) is a no-go and I'd rather not modify the transmitter.  It looks like I will be searching to replace the original 22R36 Thordarson 1200VCT transformer and I'm guessing this is unobtoium.  I'll post some ads and hope for the best.   Angry

On a somewhat related note, I just purchased a Lettine 240. I probably paid more than I should have but these interesting transmitters have grown on me.
KA2DZT

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 10:28:11 AM »

Well, the Hammond 282X (1000 VCT) is a no-go and I'd rather not modify the transmitted.  Looks like I will be searching to replace the original 22R36 Thordarson 1200VCT transformer and I'm guessing this is unobtoium.  I'll post some ads and hope for the best.   Angry

On a somewhat related note, I just purchased a Lettine 240. I probably paid more than I should have but these interesting transmitters have grown on me.

I saw your ad for the xfmr, although you called it a 22R36 power supply.  You should correct your ad.  Stancor made a very similar xfmr PC-8414.

Fred
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015